How on earth do I log this?

elphie754
elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
I recently found out that starbucks sells their flavored syrups to the public, So excited because I love starbucks mocha fraps, but could never get them because of allergies and cross contamination. So I bought the white chocolate and peppermint syrups and have been making my own fraps.

Only issue is neither bottle has a nutrition label making it hard to log. When I went into the MFP data base to see if i could find the calorie count, but found conflicting answers. They also list serving sizes in "pumps" but I have noticed that some of the pumps can contain a bit more than another.

I've been logging it by taking the highest calorie count and adding a pump to the what I put in (ie if i put in 4 pumps, i record i had 5).

Good strategy? Or does anyone else have any ideas on how to log this?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,057 Member
    Hmmm.... What are the ingredients? If sugar is the top, or damn close to it, you could weigh your pumps and multiply by 4. Carbs are 4 calories a gram so, as long as the syrup is fat free (which I'd assume it is), the weight of the syrup x 4 is the maximum calories that the syrup could be.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Starbucks syrups are 20 calories/pump with a pump weighing around 22 grams on average. So if you put your cup on a digital food scale and you weigh the syrup, you should be able to get a fairly accurate calorie count.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Don't over think it, no matter how hard you try, calorie counting isn't an exact science. If you are a few one way or the other OVER ALL for the day, you'll be fine.
  • elphie754
    edited March 2017
    Hmmm.... What are the ingredients? If sugar is the top, or damn close to it, you could weigh your pumps and multiply by 4. Carbs are 4 calories a gram so, as long as the syrup is fat free (which I'd assume it is), the weight of the syrup x 4 is the maximum calories that the syrup could be.

Not sure what specific vitamins ingredients are in the syrup because there is also no ingredient list (at least I haven't seen it).

Edited to fix a dumb auto-correct. Not sure why my phone auto corrected ingredients to vitamins.
  • elphie754
    Don't over think it, no matter how hard you try, calorie counting isn't an exact science. If you are a few one way or the other OVER ALL for the day, you'll be fine.

True, but I am also a perfectionist lol, so it gets to me a bit.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    https://www.starbucks.ca/menu/nutrition-info Scroll down to "Beverage nutritional information". It'll open a PDF. Once you're there, scroll all the way to the last page under "add-ons". According to the sheet, 1 pump=20 calories, 0 calories if sugar-free. Unless you buy the mocha syrup. That one is 35.

Sadly, they don't tell you how many grams/mls to the pump.
  • elphie754
    https://www.starbucks.ca/menu/nutrition-info Scroll down to "Beverage nutritional information". It'll open a PDF. Once you're there, scroll all the way to the last page under "add-ons". According to the sheet, 1 pump=20 calories, 0 calories if sugar-free. Unless you buy the mocha syrup. That one is 35.

Ahhh thank you! You have no idea how long I have been trying to find that.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Starbuck's Swiss site provides this as information:
    184x9n1d0uvw.png

As you can see, they also provide a weight measure in grams for each. Whether it's 100% the same product, I cannot guarantee. Afterall, different countries, different tastes, meaning potentially different product composition. But I believe it should be close enough for logging accuracy.
  • elphie754
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    Starbuck's Swiss site provides this as information:
    184x9n1d0uvw.png

As you can see, they also provide a weight measure in grams for each. Whether it's 100% the same product, I cannot guarantee. Afterall, different countries, different tastes, meaning potentially different product composition. But I believe it should be close enough for logging accuracy.

Perfect!! Thank you!
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    You're welcome :smile:
  • elphie754

I know and that sucks because I really like to be accurate and weight pretty much everything that can be weighed. I think I will continue putting 5 pumps in diary even though I only make it with 4 just to be safe.