Mashed potato and veges confusion

Options
I'm confused, home made mash with cheese it says one cup but veges like peas and corn is only 75gm why is it so ? Does anyone know or understand why ?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    The database is full of user added entries, and they pick the measurements. Grams is much more accurate for solid food. I also wouldn't trust an entry for homemade mash with cheese in the database, as you have no idea what else it has in it, or how much cheese.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    You can eat as much or as little of things as you like. Change the serve size to suit how much you ate. Don't use cup measurements for solids (like mash), and don't use user entered info for random foods (like mash and cheese - how much potato? How much cheese? What sort of cheese? How much butter? Was there milk? Or cream?)
  • jessicalwakeling
    jessicalwakeling Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Measure the base ingredients you use to make your mash to get the most accurate calories
    Eg
    200g potato
    20ml milk
    10g butter

I don't trust anything without the green verified tick and will calculate stuff myself
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,071 Member
    Options
    Are you making this yourself at home OP?

I suggest using the recipe builder - add each of the ingredients by weight and then work out how much per serve.
    I usually divide total into 100 g serves for ease of recording - eg measure final product and if it comes to, say 500g, then say it makes 5 serves.

Presuming you make it the same next time, just log the amount from your recipes.
  • gailsheehan7
    gailsheehan7 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks all I make my own mash and normally add a tablespoon of margarine and a hand full of cheese, next time will measure the cheese and potato before i mash it
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    Thanks all I make my own mash and normally add a tablespoon of margarine and a hand full of cheese, next time will measure the cheese and potato before i mash it

Weigh the potato raw before you cook it. Use an entry for raw weight, peeled, in grams.

Weigh the cheese before you add it. Weigh the margarine before you add it.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    OP, don't use generic entries. Next time, weigh your potatoes raw. Weigh the butter and measure the milk/half-half/cream and log them separately. For accuracy.
    Measure the base ingredients you use to make your mash to get the most accurate calories
    Eg
    200g potato
    20ml milk
    10g butter

I don't trust anything without the green verified tick and will calculate stuff myself

I don't even trust some of the green ticks. There's a green tick on an entry "Chinese Food - 1 plate - 1000 calories", for goodness sake.

This. Verification of a food item happens when 5 or more users confirm the entry. The entry can still be waaaay off.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Digital food scales are like $10 on Amazon, there's no excuse not to weigh your ingredients, especially if there are only 3 of them! It's very easy and a great habit to form if you're trying to lose weight by calorie counting. I weigh everything, including butter and condiments.
  • gailsheehan7
    Options
    I have digital scales never thought about weighing the butter and condiments,
  • gailsheehan7
    Options
    Thanks everyone these are things I never even thought of doing so I will be doing from now on
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    @gailsheehan7 have aread of this thread (or at least the first post): http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

It is a wonderful resource when you're starting out logging.
  • gailsheehan7
    Options
    Thanks Alatariel i will now as I was thinking i just buy potatos does that mean i have to weigh each one before i buy it i mean who weighs each potato but if i must i will
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    Thanks Alatariel i will now as I was thinking i just buy potatos does that mean i have to weigh each one before i buy it i mean who weighs each potato but if i must i will

Just weigh it before you eat it.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

You weigh what you're going to eat, when you're preparing it to be eaten, not what you buy.

Weigh every solid you eat/add to food. Measure every liquid you eat/drink/add to food.