Goal - amount of pounds to lose per week starting out?

Options
2»

Replies

• k_e_l
    k_e_l Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    When I set it at 1.5 per week, it gives me 1200 daily calorie goal. Gulp!

1200 is the MFP minimum for women. You probably won't get the 1.5 lb loss with that, but you should not go below that for net calories.

What does MFP give you as a number if you say you want to maintain?

1860 for maintenance with sedentary lifestyle. i am home with my 2 year old all day..but I mostly sit with him & play...or watch cartoons with him...he's very clingy & wants me next to him all day lol
    If you are at home all day with your 2 year old take him for a long walk in a stroller. Pop a cartoon on for him while you do an exercise video (free on you tube, I recommend 30 day shred only 25 mins). You can easily add an extra 200-300 cals per day with exercise this way.

Thanks for the tip! I was actually checking out the fitness blenders on youtube. i'll look into 30 day shred, thanks! i was taking him for a daily walk, but then the weather got crappy. he tends to get tired on our walks, so i end up carrying him back home, but hey, i guess carrying a 28 lb toddler is a pretty good workout! haha
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options

1200 is the MFP minimum for women. You probably won't get the 1.5 lb loss with that, but you should not go below that for net calories.

1860 for maintenance with sedentary lifestyle. i am home with my 2 year old all day..but I mostly sit with him & play...or watch cartoons with him...he's very clingy & wants me next to him all day lol
    If you are at home all day with your 2 year old take him for a long walk in a stroller. Pop a cartoon on for him while you do an exercise video (free on you tube, I recommend 30 day shred only 25 mins). You can easily add an extra 200-300 cals per day with exercise this way.

Thanks for the tip! I was actually checking out the fitness blenders on youtube. i'll look into 30 day shred, thanks! i was taking him for a daily walk, but then the weather got crappy. he tends to get tired on our walks, so i end up carrying him back home, but hey, i guess carrying a 28 lb toddler is a pretty good workout! haha

Have you considered a carrier so you can go for long walks with him on your back? My sons 18lb i front carry him every day in a connecta and when i hike on weekends he goes on my back in a wrapahula
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I use my phone as a pedometer to count steps and encourage me to get moving. Either Google Fit (for android) or Stepz (for iPhone) can help you know how much exercise you're getting walking around during your day. :)

It's also just fine to pick a rate of loss that gives you enough calories to feel like it's a sustainable lifestyle. Losing 1 lb/week or losing 1.5/week - either way, it's going to take a few months. It needs to not suck.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If I could go back in time, I would have aimed for 1lb per week from the beginning. I spent 5 months losing 2+ per week at 1200 calories. While it was motivating and exciting to some degree, I also ended up with a pretty decent Vitamin D deficiency. As I close in on the back half of my goal loss, it definitely is slowing down--and probably moreso than had I not lost so early so fast. Who's to know for sure, though. I definitely felt some unintended consequences of being at 1200 for a while. I had a LOT to lose (started at 252+) and am now at 184, fighting for a pound a week for another 30lbs or so. I'm a good 4" taller than you.

It's a very hungry life at 1200.
  • CassondraKennedy
    CassondraKennedy Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    wrote:

Agreed!!
  • k_e_l
    Options

Have you considered a carrier so you can go for long walks with him on your back? My sons 18lb i front carry him every day in a connecta and when i hike on weekends he goes on my back in a wrapahula [/quote]

You know what...we do have one! We got it years back for our other 2. Forgot we had it! Gonna have to break it out now! I think he would love it! He would probably laugh the whole time too! lol
  • k_e_l
    Options
    If I could go back in time, I would have aimed for 1lb per week from the beginning. I spent 5 months losing 2+ per week at 1200 calories. While it was motivating and exciting to some degree, I also ended up with a pretty decent Vitamin D deficiency. As I close in on the back half of my goal loss, it definitely is slowing down--and probably moreso than had I not lost so early so fast. Who's to know for sure, though. I definitely felt some unintended consequences of being at 1200 for a while. I had a LOT to lose (started at 252+) and am now at 184, fighting for a pound a week for another 30lbs or so. I'm a good 4" taller than you.

Yes!! 1200 is so few to work with!
  • k_e_l
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    I use my phone as a pedometer to count steps and encourage me to get moving. Either Google Fit (for android) or Stepz (for iPhone) can help you know how much exercise you're getting walking around during your day. :)

It's also just fine to pick a rate of loss that gives you enough calories to feel like it's a sustainable lifestyle. Losing 1 lb/week or losing 1.5/week - either way, it's going to take a few months. It needs to not suck.

Ohh good idea!! I would love to know how many steps I do walking up & down basement steps carrying laundry, back & forth to the kitchen (preparing food for 3 kids total), etc, even grocery shopping. I'm sure it all adds up to something! and yep, it def needs to feel sustainable!
  • CopperB73
    CopperB73 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's worth adding: whatever weight loss target you pick first will be a guess. You're not stuck with it forever. So you should make the best guess you can, see how it goes, and change it if it's too hard/too easy. Don't give up the whole exercise just because the first guess was wrong.

• k_e_l
    Options
    CopperB73 wrote: »
    Maybe it's worth adding: whatever weight loss target you pick first will be a guess. You're not stuck with it forever. So you should make the best guess you can, see how it goes, and change it if it's too hard/too easy. Don't give up the whole exercise just because the first guess was wrong.

Thanks! Very good advice! :-)
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'd set it for 1lb per week, and wait a few months to reassess. If you start at the minimum # of daily calories, there is no room to drop later as your weight reduces and your daily calorie requirements naturally reduce. As an example, at 5'4" 207# I was at 1450 calories and was losing regularly (also mostly sedentary, a few hours of exercise a week). Now I am down to 171# and my daily targets are 1340 prox. If I had started at 1200 per day, I would still be at 1200 per day and I'd be miserable. There are days I come in under 1200, but it's rare. I am able to be satisfied and stay under my 1340 net on the majority of days. I only try to eat back about 1/2 my exercise calories. PS: I am still losing.
  • k_e_l
    Options

So, assuming that is close enough to real life, you will lose 1 lb a week for every 3500 calorie deficit per week, so 500 per day. At 750 calorie reduction, (1.5 lb per week) that would give you 1,110 (DON'T EAT THIS FEW), so you bottomed out at 1200.

I think you should go for 1 lb per week (so eat ~1350) and start taking your son to the playground and playing with him outside. I've got no parenting advice, but getting out and just walking will do wonders and may give you a couple hundred more calories to either enjoy as a treat or speed up your weight loss a little.

As always, see what your weight does over 6-8 weeks and then adjust if needed.

Thank you so much for your advice!! 1350 sounds a lot more doable than 1200 to start. I was walking with him every day for about a week, then stopped due to weather, but wow, what a difference a walk & fresh air can do! I felt wonderful that I was actually getting up & out of the house & doing something good for myself (and my son)! It improved my mood & encouraged me to want to keep it up :-)
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options

You know what...we do have one! We got it years back for our other 2. Forgot we had it! Gonna have to break it out now! I think he would love it! He would probably laugh the whole time too! lol

Yeah i love my giggly backpack!
  • k_e_l
    Options

Yeah i love my giggly backpack!

Heheheee :-)
  • k_e_l
    Options
    NEOHgirl wrote: »
    I'd set it for 1lb per week, and wait a few months to reassess. If you start at the minimum # of daily calories, there is no room to drop later as your weight reduces and your daily calorie requirements naturally reduce. As an example, at 5'4" 207# I was at 1450 calories and was losing regularly (also mostly sedentary, a few hours of exercise a week). Now I am down to 171# and my daily targets are 1340 prox. If I had started at 1200 per day, I would still be at 1200 per day and I'd be miserable. There are days I come in under 1200, but it's rare. I am able to be satisfied and stay under my 1340 net on the majority of days. I only try to eat back about 1/2 my exercise calories. PS: I am still losing.

Agreed! 1 lb per week (1350 calories) sounds more appealing to me. Congrats on your awesome progress!!! Gives me hope! :-)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'm not a parent, but doesn't getting the little guy outside and walking help him have a nap and give you a break? Seems like something any SAHP could use. It's half the reason my wife and I make sure the dogs get walked. Okay, my wife. She walks them more than I do. I mean, I was ready to go last night, but the rain started.
  • k_e_l
    Options
    I'm not a parent, but doesn't getting the little guy outside and walking help him have a nap and give you a break? Seems like something any SAHP could use. It's half the reason my wife and I make sure the dogs get walked. Okay, my wife. She walks them more than I do. I mean, I was ready to go last night, but the rain started.

lol yep! usually after we've gone on our walk, he's ready for his afternoon nap. well, actually, two times he wore himself out while on the actual walk, enough that he fell asleep while i held him coming back. my arms were so weak & jello-y by the time i reached the house ;-)