Phone & Exercise

What do you do with your phone while running and exercising in general? Favorite products that will hold it and are preferably headphone-friendly?

Replies

• KassLea22
    KassLea22 Posts: 112 Member
    edited March 2017
    I use blue tooth headphones and they were a total game changer! So it's totally wireless and hands free. For running outside I have an under armor mesh sport waist pack to keep my phone in....basically like a fanny pack but long and skinny and more compact.

You can get cheap Bluetooth headphones at tj maxx usually that get the job done. I started using those cheaper ones to try them out and then upgraded to some by Bose.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    KassLea22 wrote: »
    I use blue tooth headphones and they were a total game changer! So it's totally wireless and hands free. For running outside I have an under armor mesh sport waist pack to keep my phone in....basically like a fanny pack but long and skinny and more compact.

You can get cheap Bluetooth headphones at tj maxx usually that get the job done. I started using those cheaper ones to try them out and then upgraded to some by Bose.

^^This, except mine are Monster iSport. I have an arm band for my phone. Just a cheap one.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited March 2017
    rccrozier wrote: »
    What do you do with your phone while running and exercising in general? Favorite products that will hold it and are preferably headphone-friendly?

My favorite pair of workout capris (bought from Amazon) are brand name Baleaf and have a 'media pocket' on either thigh. I despise the 'hidden pockets' and find them useless. But this is deep enough to easily hold my phone, and my car key on the other side. And I have easy access to the phone when/as needed. I have wireless earbuds that connect by Bluetooth.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    I use a Flipbelt on long runs and it's great. Holds my phone, keys, gels, etc and stays put on my waist. I have used it with corded headphones, but I will also recommend wireless bluetooth headphones.

For shorter runs, I have a couple pairs of Lululemon Speedy tights since they have pockets that will hold my phone.

I had an armband for a while but I didn't find it comfortable. The flipbelt is way more comfortable for me.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited March 2017

I generally leave my phone in the locker when I am at the gym. I find that I spend more time working out and less time being distracted. ;) I don't use my phone for music - I have several Sansa clips that are weightless, and have used them for years.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited March 2017
    I use wireless earbuds and a running belt. This for my long runs and this for shorter runs.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    On longer runs, I use a hydration belt that has a pouch for the phone. On shorter runs I either use my kangaroo pouch or a running belt that has 2 pockets. I put my phone in 1 and keys on the other. The kangaroo pouch is pretty cool. It's a magnetic pouch and you stick the heavy side on the inside of your pants/shorts and there's material that flips over the waist band and connects by magnet. I'm thin though so I don't like that it looks like I have a gut.

I also use wireless headphones...just a cheap $25 pair I got on Amazon.

I personally hate arm bands. Some people love them, but they annoy me and it's hot where I live.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    I use a flipbelt. I LOVE it. It's probably my favorite accessory. I can use it for weight lifting and for running. It can hold my iphone 6, keys, money, there are even small water bottles that'll fit (I don't rung far enough for that). I tried an armband that I got as a gift and it rubbed me raw and it is not easy to take the phone in and out of like the flipbelt.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I primarily ride, so it goes in one of my jersey pockets. If I'm at the gym, I just carry it around with me and set it down on something while I'm working a set...I use it for a rest timer.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    If I have a belt it goes on my belt. Otherwise it goes in a pocket or a backpack. Performance Bicycle makes their bicycle jerseys with a nice zippered pocket for things like that. But I never leave home without it. I've injured myself, had flat tires, run into hostile animals enough times to know that its a good idea to be able to call for help.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    peleroja wrote: »
    I use a Flipbelt on long runs and it's great. Holds my phone, keys, gels, etc and stays put on my waist. I have used it with corded headphones, but I will also recommend wireless bluetooth headphones.

For shorter runs, I have a couple pairs of Lululemon Speedy tights since they have pockets that will hold my phone.

I had an armband for a while but I didn't find it comfortable. The flipbelt is way more comfortable for me.

Seconding the Flipbelt recommendation. I love mine, I can't imagine using anything else. They even make waterbottles specifically designed to fit into the pockets -- great for long runs.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member

My favorite pair of workout capris (bought from Amazon) are brand name Baleaf and have a 'media pocket' on either thigh. I despise the 'hidden pockets' and find them useless. But this is deep enough to easily hold my phone, and my car key on the other side. And I have easy access to the phone when/as needed. I have wireless earbuds that connect by Bluetooth.

I need these pants!!!! How are the fit? I found that Brooks run a little small.

• Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    I used to have one of those arm bands that the phone fits in but it sucked (the Velcro stopped sticking, and it started smelling weird from the sweat).
    So, I stick it in my bra now.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,131 Member
    I leave the phone inside my gym bag and I listen (sort of) to what ever music is playing at the gym. I don't need the phone to workout and I don't want to get distracted either.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    I went by their size chart. I ordered a small. My hips are 'small' and my waist is at the low end of their 'medium'. So I had to choose. They fit well. Come about 4" below my knees, which I like. The ones that are too close to the knee: bunch up at the knee and I hate that. The waist is a little higher than some running shorts. Does not feel like my Mama's belly is going to flop out lol. They are made of a comfortable material and they are thick enough that they are not sheer. I would not mind if they were a little lighter (material wise) as summer is coming. I intend to find out if they have any that are more lightweight.

I also ordered a pair of running shorts, about 4" inseam, same Baleaf. I like them - the inseam is long enough that its not like I'm virtually wearing underwear. But the waist is a little lower than on the capris. And no thigh pocket because, well, its not really long enough...

The capris were $20 I think, and shorts $14. I am never hesitant to try new stuff thru Amazon, as if its sold by Amazon LLC they have a fair return policy.

I need these pants!!!! How are the fit? I found that Brooks run a little small.

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    For runners that use a Flipbelt or waist pockets, do you have any issues with your phone getting wet from sweat?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member

I'm an endurance trail runner, so wear a race vest that allows me to carry a reasonable amount of kit. My phone sits in one of the shoulder pockets.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    lporter229 wrote: »
    For runners that use a Flipbelt or waist pockets, do you have any issues with your phone getting wet from sweat?

Nope. Flipbelts are made of something pretty water-resistant I think. Usually my shirt will be pretty damp underneath the belt but my phone is fine.

My running tights with the good pockets (Lululemon Speed V) have the pocket on the outside of my thigh and I I've never sweat enough there for that to happen either.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Seconding the Flipbelt recommendation. I love mine, I can't imagine using anything else. They even make waterbottles specifically designed to fit into the pockets -- great for long runs.

I have THREE of these dang things, because it took ordering that many to find one that actually FIT me. They are sized to fit around snug at the waist (at least on me!), and I hate that. I use mine occasionally, but only if I need to have my phone with me. Usually I'd rather leave the phone. But I agree that it is better than an armband.