Work yourself out of work

Options
kschwab0203
kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
Anyone else have a tendency to work yourself out of work?

I have been at my job for about 8 months and it's not at all as fast paced as they made it out to be when I was hired. I absolutely adore my bosses and the flexible environment...the pay is nice too, but I am bored out of my mind!!!

I like to be busy and almost always end up working myself out of work and end up just sitting at my desk 2-3 days out of the week doing NOTHING! 8 hours goes by sooooo slow.

It is driving me nuts!!!

Replies

• beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Yes. Every single job has been advertised as, 'now are you sure you can cope? *patronising head tilt* - there's always loads to do'
    fast forward 2 months to where I twiddle my thumbs for 8 hours a day having done everything plus a load of process reviewing.

Ah well. Tis what it is.
    Are there other teams/departments that may need assistance at busy times?
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    You could increase your post count here.
  • TaymanL
    TaymanL Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Given how long it takes my boss to edit an excel spreadsheet I can see why they think the work will take much logger than it actually does

Sounds like your boss has mastered the fine art of "time management" lol
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I often have downtime at work. I embrace it! MFP, FB, random web browsing, reading books (I've read around 70 books on my kindle in the last couple of years and I almost exclusively read at work), go on walks, walk in place while reading if I can't leave the building, chat with co-workers, clean when I get really bored, text, etc.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Seem like easy money to me :smile: I work in a fast paced, with stuck of boss and fellow workers who suck up. Do you want to exchange work placements? :lol:
  • kschwab0203
    Options
    kaizaku wrote: »
    Seem like easy money to me :smile: I work in a fast paced, with stuck of boss and fellow workers who suck up. Do you want to exchange work placements? :lol:

Easy money yes, but at the cost of my sanity.

My last job I was at 100 mph all the time, but my boss was a C U Next Tuesday...I guess this is the trade off, lol
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Yep - totally 100% get it!
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

My last job I was at 100 mph all the time, but my boss was a C U Next Tuesday...I guess this is the trade off, lol

Some people can't deal with doing nothing. Fortunately I can sit around and do jack all day. :smile:
  • BedsideTableKangaroo
    BedsideTableKangaroo Posts: 736 Member
    Options

i like to put off work, that way i'll never work myself out of work. i'll always have some waiting for me if i get bored. problem is...it's a fine line. if i put too much on the back burner, i'll "not work" myself out of work and have to find a new job.
  • kschwab0203
    Options
    i like to put off work, that way i'll never work myself out of work. i'll always have some waiting for me if i get bored. problem is...it's a fine line. if i put too much on the back burner, i'll "not work" myself out of work and have to find a new job.

I really really try not to get too over zealous and just do a little here and there, but sometimes I just can't stop lol
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    find something else to do. watch ted talks. learn french. How to cook, etc.
  • Kylebeth
    Kylebeth Posts: 11 Member
    Options

I'm just like you-- I haven't had anything to do for weeks as I go through a reorg.... I feel like i'm in jail... i'm not sure i'll make it to the end of the week.
  • schughes48
    schughes48 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My job is also very boring, and I also sit here 2-3 days a week for 8 hours. However, I watch Netflix all day long, that is how I make it through my day. I also scan the internet for job postings.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I have meetings and crap all of the time, so I'm always behind, especially with less significant "back burner" issues. I deal with those if I happen to be in a lull.

Also, the amount of work needing to be done in my office is cyclical. From about mid December through the end of February, things are pretty dead and downright boring...like seriously, why are we here. We get a little ramp up in March as we start looking at the last quarter of the year...little more in April...May, June, July, and August most people are hating their lives and long for those slow, boring January days and it's basically impossible to even consider a summer vacation. We start coming back down in September, October, and November to more reasonable levels of workload...not dead, but not buried...December rolls around again, and we're all staring at each other with nothing much to do.
  • kschwab0203
    Options
    schughes48 wrote: »
    My job is also very boring, and I also sit here 2-3 days a week for 8 hours. However, I watch Netflix all day long, that is how I make it through my day. I also scan the internet for job postings.

I wish I could watch Netflix! My company has the internet access locked down so tight there are only a handful of sites I can go to.

I'm getting creative with my "work errands" that I have to run...

Run to the bank...and stop at the grocery
    Go to the post office....and stop at Target
    Go to the notary....and run home and throw in some laundry

*kitten*, if I can't be productive at work, at least I can get ahead in some of my other stuff!
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    schughes48 wrote: »

I wish I could watch Netflix! My company has the internet access locked down so tight there are only a handful of sites I can go to.

I'm getting creative with my "work errands" that I have to run...

Run to the bank...and stop at the grocery
    Go to the post office....and stop at Target
    Go to the notary....and run home and throw in some laundry

*kitten*, if I can't be productive at work, at least I can get ahead in some of my other stuff!

same here, I can look at holidays and plan out trips though (that all cost way too much and most never happen)

arena game on excel has saved my sanity on more than one occasion too - rpg on excel!! genius!!
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    When I was in college, I worked an office job for the federal government. I once went to my supervisor and said, "I finished all of my work, could you give me more to do?" I was very quickly told that we never ask for more work and to go sit down at my desk and look busy! This was in the late 80's/early 90's, so there was no Internet or Kindle to pass the time. It was agonizing!