Nothing seems to be working

Options
I am trying so hard. I work out 5 or 6 times a week for the last 3 weeks. Cardio mostly. I burn around 450 calories a day in cardio. I also have done some strength training. I have reduced my calories to 1350 a day and count them on myfitness.com. I eat more fruit and vegetables, greek yogurt, lean meat and a lot less sugar and carbs. I have cut all soda out and allow myself a diet pepsi a day. But usually its every other day. I walk more and count my steps to 10000 a day. I drink at least 70 ounces of water a day. My starting weight was 193#s three weeks ago and now I'm at 190#s. What am I doing wrong. I feel as if nothing seems to be working.

Replies

• Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Well a few questions. You say it's not working, what is it? Not losing a lot a compared to what you think? How much do you have to lose?
    Your exercise burn, is it from a fitness band, an entry on MFP or MyFitness?
    How are you calculating your food intake, measuring, weighing, packaging information, eyeballing?
  • SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    1lb a week is awesome! keep doing what you're doing and also keep your expectations in check :smile:

if you feel you are in a greater deficit than that - are you weighing your food (vs measuring cups) and how are you determining your calorie burn? machines are notoriously off, an HRM will be your best bet but even that is an estimate.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    1lbs a week is perfect. Be patient!

Weight loss is a simple matter of calories in vs. calories out. You can lose weight just by calorie counting - no exercise needed. Exercise is great for general health purposes, but you definitely don't need to bust your butt at the gym all the time if you don't enjoy it.

You can lose weight eating MacDonald's every day as long as you're at a calorie deficit.

So honestly, all you need for weight loss is a good food scale, a quick visit to a TDEE calculator and a good habit of logging every calorie you consume.

Don't obsess with the numbers - try to keep calm. It takes time to put on the weight, you can't expect to lose it all so quickly either.
  • roperrocky
    roperrocky Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I read all the nutritional information. I weigh the food portions. The exercise calorie burn is calculated by the machines at the gym and myfitness. It's just weird, I remember in the past when I stopped drinking soda I'd immediately drop 5 #s I guess that changes with age. Haha My goal is to reach 170 by mid-July
    Does that seem unattainable or unsafe if I continue on the path I'm currently on?
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I am sorry that you don't feel like what you are doing is working. Think about 3 pounds of butter - that is a lot of fat. I know is seems like you have put in all this work and that is all you have to show for it, but that is a big freakin' deal. I will suggest that you take your measurements and take some honest photos so you can see what is really happening to your body. I believe the vast majority on MFP will agree that this process can be slow and very frustrating but absolutely worth it. The weight may have felt like it came on overnight but it didn't and it won't leave overnight. I won't offer any 'what you need to do's' because I feel that when people get bombarded with what they should do they can shut down. So keep doing what you are, ask questions and be patient - sorry, I'm sure that is not what you wanted to hear.

But think of this, instead of the scale showing 190, it was 196, that also could have happened in those 3 weeks, so you are doing better :)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    23 pounds in ~15 weeks is probably doable. Even if you come up a few pounds short, you'll be lighter and more fit in 3 months than you are now. Simply by staying the course.

One note: calorie burn #s from gym machines are probably high. Perhaps assume your true burn to be about 50-75% of that value just to be careful.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Just a thought, the MFP app may be overestimating the cals lost through exercise. Maybe halve the cal prediction that it gives you as a loss and watch the food intake...after two week see if your weight loss is a little faster :-)
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    With great age comes great changes. :frowning: I definitely lost faster in my 20's, ahh well. Definitely don't trust machine burns, they are rarely adjusted to recalculate correctly, and if MyFitness is anything like MFP it's not completely accurate either as it simply cannot take into account certain things like intensity.
    You may not make it 100% like @StaciMarie1974 said, but you'll be a heck of a lot closer than you are now! :smile:
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    When I lost weight sucessefully 3 years back I too overestimated cals lost and was frustrated... sadly I gained the weight back and due to a very bad hip cannot exercise... I have lost a stone so far at 1lb a week. Wish it was faster but can't do that unless I starve myself! Good luck and do report back as to how you get on. :-)
  • SoleTrainer60
    SoleTrainer60 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are on the right track. Keep up the good work, be patient and it will happen. A pound a week is great. :)
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I'd love losing a pound a week! You're doing great!
  • rhiawiz57
    rhiawiz57 Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    yeah, i don't really see the problem, this is awesome!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You've lost a pound a week! How is this not working?
  • Premed100
    Premed100 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My tuppence worth. Firstly losing 1 lb per week is great & consistent. I think you may be "eating" the calories earned from exercise. There is a margin of error here. Control of your calorie deficit is more important than performing loads of exercise, especially if you are using the exercise as an excuse to eat more. You must be careful as losing weight does NOT mean you are losing fat. Under heavy exercise the body can convert muscle to energy as well as fat & your weight loss may consist of an element of both. Have a re examine to make sure there are no hidden calories that you are eating & check the calorie readings on machines - ie are they giving gross or net calories burned, by that I mean in 1 hour , sitting burns 68 calories, walking burns (approx) 140 calories so you really only burned 72 extra calories. Make sure you know which reading your machines are giving you (ie gross or net) especially if you are eating all these calories back - Better explained here http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/articles/net-versus-gross-calorie-burn.shtml
  • STC02
    STC02 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    If you're close to a average weight for your height then it'll be a little harder to lose, than if you were obese.
    I'm really obese and I only lost 3lb my first week, I expected an insane loss like 8-10lb like a lot of obese people who lose water weight in their first week.
    Just keep going if you're being honest with yourself in terms of food you'll get there eventually