Looking for friends who don't eat "clean" and healthy

Options

Replies

• jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    alcohol definitely has calories, it's true that the body processes alcohol before moving on to other things though. but you can get a calorie count for it and treat it like any other macro that you account for.

the wine with 0 calories was a hypothetical. like if wine had 0 calories i would hypothetically be drinking a lot more of it.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    I just didn't realize wine had such a low alcohol content.

The wine I usually drink has 13%... yummy red wine.

*eating a Reese's PB cup*
  • rhiawiz57
    rhiawiz57 Posts: 906 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    alcohol definitely has calories, it's true that the body processes alcohol before moving on to other things though. but you can get a calorie count for it and treat it like any other macro that you account for.

the wine with 0 calories was a hypothetical. like if wine had 0 calories i would hypothetically be drinking a lot more of it.

yes wine and beer have calories, they have actual sugar in them still, it's not all distilled out. i was talking about hard liquor. i couldn't find an accurate calorie count for it. in my research online, i found out that vodka/rum/etc does not actually have calories. i see people on MFP enter calories for hard liquor but i can't find the basis for this.
  • ConnieT1030
    ConnieT1030 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. My goal is to stay under my calorie limit and eat healthy things when I can afford it. For example, why the heck is a chicken sandwhich only $3.35 at Chickfila while the salad is $7-8?! My wallet cringes everytime I buy one.

You know what grinds my gears? used to be at Subway, you could turn any sub into a sald, same price. After all, they were saving the cost of the bread! But now, if you want a salad instead, it TWO DOLLARS more to SKIP the bread!! Im like whaaaaa?! My husband said "they are paying for the container" ... you mean that flimsy 15 cent piece of plastic? Pfft, just sticking it to people who want to have less (calories/carbs/bread whatever).. Makes me sooo mad I just eat the sub!
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Someone wrote a detailed explanation in another thread some time ago about how alcohol is a poison and the body can't metabolise anything else until it gets rid of that. I guess if the drink in question is mostly alcohol with not a lot else added, it would technically have very few (if any) calories the body could use so it might, technically, count as calorie-free. (I admit I don't have the scientific knowledge to back any of that up. :) )

I think I'd still log it regardless, though! And I guess the biggest weight-loss issue with alcohol (assuming you're logging the drinks themselves) is how much extra you might eat if you get an attack of the munchies, and how much of it you'd be able to remember in the morning to log it...
  • rhiawiz57
    Options
    Oh yeah too much alcohol definitely results in late night eating for me and that is always a setback! Not arguing that. Just not adding calories in Mfp for vodka/soda when I do have those. Because I can't find that they actually have true calories.
  • SueSueDio
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Feel free to add me. My goal is to stay under my calorie limit and eat healthy things when I can afford it. For example, why the heck is a chicken sandwhich only $3.35 at Chickfila while the salad is $7-8?! My wallet cringes everytime I buy one.

You know what grinds my gears? used to be at Subway, you could turn any sub into a sald, same price. After all, they were saving the cost of the bread! But now, if you want a salad instead, it TWO DOLLARS more to SKIP the bread!! Im like whaaaaa?! My husband said "they are paying for the container" ... you mean that flimsy 15 cent piece of plastic? Pfft, just sticking it to people who want to have less (calories/carbs/bread whatever).. Makes me sooo mad I just eat the sub!

That's just jumping on the low-carb bandwagon for extra profit! I never wanted their salads anyway, too much lettuce. ;) I'll just have a 6" sub and skip the mayo (I started getting mustard instead), but I usually still have cheese. I can get a satisfying lunch for less than 400 calories, so I'm happy with that!

(Edit - next time we go there I'll have to check their prices for salads, see if it's different in Canada. Maybe there hasn't been any bandwagon-jumping yet!)
  • ConnieT1030
    edited March 2017
    Options
    "SueSueDio wrote: »

That's just jumping on the low-carb bandwagon for extra profit! I never wanted their salads anyway, too much lettuce. ;) I'll just have a 6" sub and skip the mayo (I started getting mustard instead), but I usually still have cheese. I can get a satisfying lunch for less than 400 calories, so I'm happy with that!

(Edit - next time we go there I'll have to check their prices for salads, see if it's different in Canada. Maybe there hasn't been any bandwagon-jumping yet!)

No doubt, but they were supposed to be the ones that offered the healthy menu to begin with =P
    Now they are dropping my favorite bread. Sigh.
    I started using mustard instead of mayo on sandwiches but forgot last time I got a sub, and of course they do that slather on thing before you can even say stop- go easy- or whatever. Augh. Maybe i should ask for mayo on the side. Then they would probably charge extra for that too =P

eta: oh yeah, I have them put in spinach instead of boring iceberg lettuce anyway :D yum!
  • ConnieT1030
    Options
    Well i had been avoiding this thread, it's fabulous, but always makes me drooling hungry hahahaha
    Then i realized I was like 300 posts behind or some such ridiculous amount, and figured i better catch up, only to find yall went and made a group without me :O Now i gotta qualify! noooo .,. lessee, pizza hut this week does that qualify me? A russell stover creme egg a couple days ago? ok granted it wasn't very good.... an AYCE buffet on Sunday? thats GOT to do it! lol (Just dont look at today, i ate a crap ton of broccoli, oops i didnt mean it, really....)
  • SueSueDio
    Options
    I started using mustard instead of mayo on sandwiches but forgot last time I got a sub, and of course they do that slather on thing before you can even say stop- go easy- or whatever.

I hate that! They'll give me three measly slices of cucumber and half a slice of green pepper, but pour on more sauce than one sandwich can really handle? Give me more veggies!!
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    rhiawiz57 wrote: »
    i was trying to research the alcohol/calorie thing a few months ago when my mom told me vodka had no calories. So for hard liquor, it technically doesn't have calories, but it has alcohol sugars that your body has to process. So, what I surmise is that your body has to stop digesting food OR burning fat when it turns its attention to processing the alcohol sugar. This is why a vodka soda is "okay" on low carb diets, because it doesn't have calories. It does, however, slow weight loss. Especially if you're having them daily. And of course, alcohol can lead to late night eating, and as much as i love my filthy food, i gain weight when i eat late.

Can you post your sources, because there are many very, VERY poor sources on the internet.

There is no such thing as alcohol sugar. There are sugar alcohols, which are low calorie sweeteners which are partially digested to varying degrees.

Per the USDA, alcohol has 7 calories per gram.

Ethanol is metabolized to acetaldehyde => acetic acid => acetyl-CoA, where is then is oxidized for energy via the Krebs cycle, the same cycle where carbohydrates, fats, and proteins are eventually oxidized for energy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti81HUegslg
  • Staceygram
    Staceygram Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »

Same extra charge here in Ontario so I would assume it's across Canada too.
  • Staceygram
    Staceygram Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    i was trying to research the alcohol/calorie thing a few months ago when my mom told me vodka had no calories. So for hard liquor, it technically doesn't have calories, but it has alcohol sugars that your body has to process. So, what I surmise is that your body has to stop digesting food OR burning fat when it turns its attention to processing the alcohol sugar. This is why a vodka soda is "okay" on low carb diets, because it doesn't have calories. It does, however, slow weight loss. Especially if you're having them daily. And of course, alcohol can lead to late night eating, and as much as i love my filthy food, i gain weight when i eat late.

Actually vodka and soda is good for low carb diets because it doesn't have any carbs..not because it doesn't have any calories. Rum, vodka, whiskey...as long as they are unflavored (and even some if the flavoured ones)...do not have carbs unlike beer. But they all still do have calories.
  • ivygirl1937
    ivygirl1937 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I went to CA this weekend to wedding dress shop with my sister and mom, and I got to see my BFF as well! Obviously much good food was had; but the only picture I have of any of it if from Bucca di Beppo when I ordered dessert not realizing it was QUITE so large... That's my momm a by the way
    01bbj511jpom.jpg

I want to eat that. Right now.
  • rhiawiz57
    edited March 2017
    Options

Can you post your sources, because there are many very, VERY poor sources on the internet.

There is no such thing as alcohol sugar. There are sugar alcohols, which are low calorie sweeteners which are partially digested to varying degrees.

Per the USDA, alcohol has 7 calories per gram.

Ethanol is metabolized to acetaldehyde => acetic acid => acetyl-CoA, where is then is oxidized for energy via the Krebs cycle, the same cycle where carbohydrates, fats, and proteins are eventually oxidized for energy.

Thank you, appreciate this!
  • Kay_180
    Kay_180 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    omg, I think I have found my people. This is the best thread!
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    I started using mustard instead of mayo on sandwiches but forgot last time I got a sub, and of course they do that slather on thing before you can even say stop- go easy- or whatever.

I hate that! They'll give me three measly slices of cucumber and half a slice of green pepper, but pour on more sauce than one sandwich can really handle? Give me more veggies!!

I disagree! I want more mayo om nom nom lol I always get light mayo + chipotle sauce. Worth the calories. So good!