Is drinking tap water healthy?

Options

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    ohyes135 wrote: »
    I live in NYC and my tap water taste just as good as bottled water (I hate Evian water). I don't recommend water from New Jersey because I got sick from it. I guess it all depends where you live.

I live in New Jersey and have been drinking my tap water for years. Where in NJ did you drink water that got you sick? I'm assuming it was North Jersey. I live in South Jersey, and I have tasty tap water that is perfectly safe.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Our tap water goes through stricter testing and regulations than bottled water does, so I have no hesitation in drinking it.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Strongly depends on where you live- I am the netherlands, totally safe (and very nice) non chlorinated water
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it depends on where you live. Our town has informed us that there is a level of lead in our water that is high enough that they gave us recommendations on how to decrease it (ie: using a filter, only using cold (not hot from the tap) water to cook with/consume, not using it for baby bottles, etc). We have a filter on our fridge that we use for drinking/cooking. If you have no issues like that then tap water should be totally fine.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I use a filter on my tap because of the taste. otherwise, totally healthy here!
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Unless you live in a specific town that has a polluted water source (like Flint MI) then tapwater is perfectly fine.

I guess people get anxious about tapwater because it travels through pipes? But if you think about it, bottled water also goes through pipes, plus machinery. It's not like they send a guy to personally hold a plastic bottle under the beautiful waterfall they show on the logo.

Also depends on your country, of course. I was watching a Youtube video where a Chinese lady talked about the things that surprised her most about the US, and one of the things was that people drank the tapwater. She said that in China you would never do this, it would make you sick.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Unless you live in a specific town that has a polluted water source (like Flint MI) then tapwater is perfectly fine.

I guess people get anxious about tapwater because it travels through pipes?? But if you think about it, bottled water also goes through pipes, plus machinery. It's not like they send a guy to personally hold a plastic bottle under the beautiful waterfall they show on the logo.

Also depends on your country, of course. I was watching a Youtube video where a Chinese lady talked about the things that surprised her most about the US, and one of the things was that people drank the tapwater. She said that in China you would never do this, it would make you sick.

Very true. I remember this beer commercial snow and pines with a clear running pristine water. I drove by the brewery years later. Looked like a toxic wasteland with a nasty industry lined muddy river at the bottom. No way you'd want to drink that.
  • DavidC1857
    DavidC1857 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    The last place I lived (before this one) had 7 ppm of arsenic in the water and it was still probably safer than bottled. People in that town have been drinking it since the mid 1800's and they're all a pretty healthy bunch.

I've never consumed anything but tap water, except maybe when away from home and needing a drink. Most of the time it's been well water, but a few places I've lived have been municipal treated surface water (water from lakes, streams and reservoirs.)
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Our tap water is by Rain catchment so we don't drink it yet. We need to install a uv filter and figure out ph before we can drink it.

So I refill 5 gallon RO filtered water at the kiosk.

Prior to that living on the mainland I drank tap water.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I go by taste. I declare my water healthy. hope you're not in michigan :neutral:
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    xmarye wrote: »
    Some might or might not agree, but here's a link about fluoride in the water and ways to filtrate your water.

http://energyfanatics.com/2012/06/13/how-decalcify-pineal-gland/

Really? You're taking advice from a random website when there are many studies that show that fluoride in water is very safe in the amounts used.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, I drink tap water. I think provision of clean drinkable tap water is something every (developed enough) country should do. I live in London so my water comes from the Thames - and obviously I wouldn't drink directly from the river, but by the time Thames water passes all the filtration and purification, it's perfectly safe to drink. I think people opposed to drinking tap water often don't understand that.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I live in Vegas and although the water department says its healthy to drink,its very hard water and stinks like chlorine
  • ActivatedAlm0nds
    ActivatedAlm0nds Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Do some research on your area if you're worried.

I wouldn't be drinking water from a place like Iowa or Flint.
  • rmilms82
    rmilms82 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Some might or might not agree, but here's a link about fluoride in the water and ways to filtrate your water.

I completely agree. Most ofthe tap water in Australia and America is fluoridated and toxic. Don't drink it unless you have a reverse osmosis filtration system.
  • KassLea22
    KassLea22 Posts: 112 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Here I the US, unless you're in Flint, it's probably fine. I grew up in a small town in Montana and always drank tap water and it was totally normal. When I moved away to a big city, I found people here to be really anti-tap water for whatever reason. I still drink it though and am still alive last time I checked :)
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Our US tap water saves millions of lives annually, it's very healthy

If your tap water flavor bothers you, try boiling it first in a kettle or get a brita filter.

I don't recommend a reverse osmosis 'filter' for anyone, they are extremely wasteful

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    rmilms82 wrote: »

I completely agree. Most ofthe tap water in Australia and America is fluoridated and toxic. Don't drink it unless you have a reverse osmosis filtration system.

The Australian Medical Association just called Pete "Paleo" Evans out on his bullshite regarding fluoride in water. Study after study proves that it is not only safe, it is beneficial. As someone who grew up on non-flouride water in Australia, I only wish my teeth were as good as people who grew up on flouride water. That link is also full of woo and ridiculousness of the highest order.