Feeling obsessed?

Options
Does anyone else feel like they are obsessed about counting the calories or working out?
I feel like my day revolves around reading labels, counting calories and making sure I am excercising in some way. I know that it is important especially if I want this to work, but I am starting to see my boyfriend kind of look at me like I am being ridiculous because I will say, I rather not eat that, too many calories or wow this only has this many calories.
To be honest, I dont think he understands​ how hard weight loss can be, and it drives me nuts when he tells me he loves my body the way it is. I love that he loves me no matter what, but I'm not comfortable with my body. I want to be able to go to the beach with him and not feel like people are asking why is he with her?!
Anyone else having this sort of issue? Do I just try not to talk about what I'm trying to do to be healthier?

Replies

• kerstenk141
    kerstenk141 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    When I first joined MFP I was a bit taken back by the fact that yes I was going to have to read labels, count calories, weigh my food, etc. It felt like a lot at first - kind of obsessive as you say. But really it was just me introducing something new to my life that had NEVER been there before. Anytime you bring something new into your life there is a transition phase as you try to navigate and get a feel for how its going to fit. But once you get it to fit it no longer feels like an obsessive behavior, its just something you do...like brushing your teeth, washing your hands, combing your hair.

Other people are going to notice and of course most are going to have opinions. Unless you are trying to force your new lifestyle onto others, against their will, nobody has a leg to stand on when it comes to getting in between you and your health. So log on, weigh, measure, read labels, and enjoy the coming success.

When I first decided to lose weight and join MFP my husband was supportive but he has always been very supportive of how I look regardless of how I look. It was frustrating to hear him say I looked beautiful even though I felt like a whale. But I took my compliment with a smile and deep down I was just thankful that I was with someone who loves me unconditionally. I'd much rather have my husband tell me he thinks I am gorgeous than a husband who puts me down.

Good luck!

• tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I think the possibility of becoming obsessed is there, no doubt.

Think if the ingredients...

...Emotional payoff for doing things "right", rather than your old, naughty bad ways.
    ...The extreme value many people and societies place in weight loss, and the almost moral narrative (my journey, battling cravings, losing the fight) that many people frame their weight loss with.
    ...Goal-based system with multiple facets (calories, macros, challenges).
    ...Social reinforcement via online connections and sleek branded messaging.
    ...Extremely self-centric nature of weight loss and/or self-improvement.

Which doesn't mean that it'll always be that way for those who become obsessed, or is even ever that way for all or most loggers. After the shine wears off, tracking is an extremely useful tool. But I would caution those with obsessive tendencies to monitor themselves as they monitor themselves--because the possibility of definitely there. :)

• strshllw84
    strshllw84 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    When I first joined MFP I was a bit taken back by the fact that yes I was going to have to read labels, count calories, weigh my food, etc. It felt like a lot at first - kind of obsessive as you say. But really it was just me introducing something new to my life that had NEVER been there before. Anytime you bring something new into your life there is a transition phase as you try to navigate and get a feel for how its going to fit. But once you get it to fit it no longer feels like an obsessive behavior, its just something you do...like brushing your teeth, washing your hands, combing your hair.

Other people are going to notice and of course most are going to have opinions. Unless you are trying to force your new lifestyle onto others, against their will, nobody has a leg to stand on when it comes to getting in between you and your health. So log on, weigh, measure, read labels, and enjoy the coming success.

When I first decided to lose weight and join MFP my husband was supportive but he has always been very supportive of how I look regardless of how I look. It was frustrating to hear him say I looked beautiful even though I felt like a whale. But I took my compliment with a smile and deep down I was just thankful that I was with someone who loves me unconditionally. I'd much rather have my husband tell me he thinks I am gorgeous than a husband who puts me down.

Good luck!

Thank you!
    I like how you said it just becomes part of your daily routine... That makes sense!
  • strshllw84
    Options
    I think the possibility of becoming obsessed is there, no doubt.

Think if the ingredients...

...Emotional payoff for doing things "right", rather than your old, naughty bad ways.
    ...The extreme value many people and societies place in weight loss, and the almost moral narrative (my journey, battling cravings, losing the fight) that many people frame their weight loss with.
    ...Goal-based system with multiple facets (calories, macros, challenges).
    ...Social reinforcement via online connections and sleek branded messaging.
    ...Extremely self-centric nature of weight loss and/or self-improvement.

Which doesn't mean that it'll always be that way for those who become obsessed, or is even ever that way for all or most loggers. After the shine wears off, tracking is an extremely useful tool. But I would caution those with obsessive tendencies to monitor themselves as they monitor themselves--because the possibility of definitely there. :)

I just feel like it's all I currently think about it, but I do know it's definitely a chance for it to be in unhealthy obsession. I just hope I don't become one of those people who do take it to that extreme.
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I have to become obsessed or I start to slip. It's gotta be first & foremost on my mind 100%. Hoping it'll just become second nature after a while (just getting back into it after quite a long break! Gym didn't stop but my diet sure did lol)
  • strshllw84
    Options
    CanuckLove wrote: »
    I have to become obsessed or I start to slip. It's gotta be first & foremost on my mind 100%. Hoping it'll just become second nature after a while (just getting back into it after quite a long break! Gym didn't stop but my diet sure did lol)

I'm hoping that's what happens too... The last time I dropped weight like nothing... Just by eating super healthy, now it's been a few years and I'm older and had another kid and stopped taking care of myself, I know it's going to be hard if I don't keep myself motivated and focused, honestly I am afraid to fail at losing this weight.
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I would scale back a little of you're worried that it's getting out of hand. Maybe abstain from the social stuff or stop closing out your daily diary. That way you can break whatever fascination you've developed and start seeing logging as just a tool.

There's nothing my wrong with admitting that you got carried away, and good job having the self-awareness to identify potential problems! You rule.
  • strshllw84
    Options
    I would scale back a little of you're worried that it's getting out of hand. Maybe abstain from the social stuff or stop closing out your daily diary. That way you can break whatever fascination you've developed and start seeing logging as just a tool.

There's nothing my wrong with admitting that you got carried away, and good job having the self-awareness to identify potential problems! You rule.

Ohhh I don't think I've gotten that far where I am carried away with it, not yet. And I hope I don't. I just feel like it's all I think about, and was wondering if I am the only one.
  • strshllw84
    Options
    U2R2 wrote: »
    Seems to me you can put a negative or positive spin on just about anything.

What some might see as compulsive, obsessive or single minded behavior, other may see as driven, focused and goal oriented.

Stay positive. B)

That is a great way to look at it.