Is the 30 day shred enough??

Options
Hi guys! I'm new here, and although I've done a few days of the 30 day shred, this time I know I'm going to do it 30 days in a row :).

Anyway, although I know how challenging the workouts are, I was wondering if that's ENOUGH exercise? It doesn't seem like you're getting a lot of cardio. Would it be more helpful to also do a little bit of running/walking/biking/elliptical in addition to the 30 day shred, or would that be detrimental? I know that TOO much exercise is not a good thing, but since the 30 day shred is only a 20 minute workout I was wondering if I should get another 10-20 minutes of cardio in?

Replies

• reyna99
    reyna99 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    When I was doing a 30DS challenge, I incorporated 20-30 mins extra of some cardio, if it was a walk at lunch or a jog in the evening. and most of the gals did about the same.
    Good luck to you!
  • lorinjer
    lorinjer Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    if you count warm up and cool down its 27 minutes and when I first did Shred that is the only thing I did and I lost inches and pounds
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    How beginner are you? It is a pretty good workout but not difficult. I would definitely incorporate another 30 minutes a day in there somewhere.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    When I first did the 30 days, I did add in other cardio. Those two combined helped me lose 6 inches during that month. You might try to do one in the morning and one at night though.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Right now it is the only exercise I do BUT that is only because I am working at a barn for 4-6 hours a day, 5 days a week. I get enough of a workout there since I am always moving! However, once that ends (summer job) I will kick the cardio back up. I plan on doing the 30 day shred even after the 30 days are up.

Currently I am losing inches (don't know the exact numbers yet) but I have also lost 4 pounds.
  • gloriaqzhao
    gloriaqzhao Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Your body fat start to burn after 20 minutes of cardio. The longer you do cardio after 20 minutes, the more fat you burn. I typically do cardio without AC for 60 minutes, and sweat like a pig.
  • Missrachelf
    Options
    I think it is enough. I lost 40 pounds doing only Jillian Michael's Videos along with tracking food. I would suggest the Shred-it Weights when you are done or need a change up. The kettle bell that you can buy is about 85 dollars but worth it. The handles are big to swing with both hands. BTW. You burn almost double calories using the kettle bell. When tracked with HRM..it's about 16-20 calories per minute or 450 per workout.

3160457.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • abg0220
    abg0220 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 30 Day Shred and Couch to 5K. It has worked pretty good for me!
  • hurrayhurrah
    Options
    Wow, thanks for the answers guys!
    I'm in pretty good shape. I can run about 5 miles and am slowly trying to train for a marathon, but right now my health and my weight are trying to take precedence (In the past, I've definitely made up for the calories lost when I run with cookies!)

Thank you again for all the awesome responses. I'll definitely try to incorporate some extra cardio.
  • RedheadHen
    RedheadHen Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I am L1D8 ( Once I do today's workout) and I do tend to do at least another 30 mins of exercise. I do 45 mins of yoga about 3 times a week and on the other days I try to get some other workout in, like Walk Away The pounds 2 or 3 mile walk and soon I'm gonna try Zumba! :)
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Doing only 30DS is enough, especially maybe for a beginner to exercise, but any additional cardio you can do is an added bonus. I do 30DS in the mornings and I run in the evenings 3 miles or use the elliptical. For me, 30DS stand alone wouldn't give me the results I want to see fast enough, but I don't have a lot of pounds to lose (about 15lbs to go) and am not new to fitness. It really depends on the individual and what your body can handle. If you feel like you can work in additional cardio on top of 30DS then go for it, give it a try.