What event or date is motivating you right now?

Options

Replies

• amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Have to make a presentation in Germany in 6 weeks.
  • Wd011000
    Wd011000 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Two motivators that are vanity driven--fitting into summer clothes (and all the other clothes) that had gotten a bit too tight and first ever international vacation to Italy in October. I don't want Hubby and I to stand out as "fat Americans", and I want to be able to climb the 400+ steps at the Duomo. I don't have a lot to lose, 10-15 pounds should do the trick, but I'd like to be more toned and have a better muscle:fat ratio so I look hot for my husband.
    One health driven motivator: I've watched my parents struggle with their weight basically all my life. Now they are in their early 70s with significant health problems directly related to their weight and lack of exercise. I just turned 48 last week and felt like I was at a crossroads. It was time to take control of my health now before I found myself in the same situation I'm seeing my parents in.
  • tennetubbie
    tennetubbie Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    dorisj717 wrote: »
    My 19 year old son needs another kidney transplant so I'm losing weight so I can donate my kidney.

That has got to be the most awesome reason I have ever seen to lose weight!!!
  • zach121989
    zach121989 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Police Academy. The hard work is done getting the job. But being in better shape will help with all the physical training!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Going to Maui in June and I am determined to get into a two piece.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    My 19 year old son needs another kidney transplant so I'm losing weight so I can donate my kidney.

I wish you and him the best. :)
  • Brans34
    Brans34 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Next Saturday: junior/senior prom. Another 3.2 lbs. I want to look good in the yearbook pictures that will be there forever.
    May 14: Mother's Day AND my oldest's high school graduation. I want to be close to goal range by then. I am so proud of my baby; I want him to be proud of me, too. Another 12 lbs for that.
    May 20: first day of summer vacation!! (I teach) I want to look amazing in a 2-piece while camping and kayaking around the lake(s) with my kids, be in good enough shape to go on lots of adventures; finding new hiking trails, new river spots/lake spots to explore, and possibly take a short road trip.
    May 27: 5K Glow Run with my son. Definitely want to be at my goal weight by then. That gives me 2 months to lose that last 17 lbs.
  • hrush1889
    hrush1889 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    summer in general - I have a lot of cute clothes (ex. crop tops, swim suits, short shorts) that I own and didnt feel confident to wear last year so have just been sitting in a box. Just looking forward to feeling good in them! Good luck on your goals/events everyone!
  • jroth261
    jroth261 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Disneyworld sounds like an awesome goal! It will make for a fabulous after pic in front of the castle. Plus there's so much damn walking which can suck in the summer lol. If you start working out now it will be a walk in the park, no pun intended.

Can't say a specific event is motivating my wanting to lose weight and build fitness, but I am planning on doing a local Halloween themed 5K in October that goes through the town streets before the parade goes. I also have in the back of my mind the possibility that my BF might propose, and knowing how long it can take to get in shape I know I don't want to be stressing about that when I'm doing all the other stressful planning!
  • natruallycurious
    natruallycurious Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Wd011000 wrote: »
    Two motivators that are vanity driven--fitting into summer clothes (and all the other clothes) that had gotten a bit too tight and first ever international vacation to Italy in October. I don't want Hubby and I to stand out as "fat Americans", and I want to be able to climb the 400+ steps at the Duomo. I don't have a lot to lose, 10-15 pounds should do the trick, but I'd like to be more toned and have a better muscle:fat ratio so I look hot for my husband.
    One health driven motivator: I've watched my parents struggle with their weight basically all my life. Now they are in their early 70s with significant health problems directly related to their weight and lack of exercise. I just turned 48 last week and felt like I was at a crossroads. It was time to take control of my health now before I found myself in the same situation I'm seeing my parents in.

Your health driven motivator is very similar to mine and one of the main reasons I started getting in shape and eating better. I just lost my grandma to congestive heart failure in January. Heart problems already fun in my family, and heart failure is the number one killer of women. After seeing my grandma suffer and how it affected my family, I want to do everything I can to avoid going through the same thing. While I obviously can't guarantee it won't happen to me, I can sure lower the risk!

• dorisj717
    dorisj717 Posts: 381 Member
    Options

That has got to be the most awesome reason I have ever seen to lose weight!!!

Thank you! It's keeping me focused.
  • dorisj717
    dorisj717 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »

I wish you and him the best. :)

Thank you!
  • tashahuei
    tashahuei Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Going on a short family holiday in May! Similarly, I too want to look good in pictures!
  • Suzanuh
    Suzanuh Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    May 23, my birthday. I'm hoping to drop 15 more pounds before then so I can fit into a dress I haven't worn in a couple years.
    Mid June, annual beach vacation, I'm hoping to be 23 pounds down by then, which would put me under 200.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    My first Half Ironman in September! My training starts in less than ten days so I'm hoping to look real good in my (very tight right now) tri kit :)
  • NanP135
    NanP135 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    To lose 10 more pounds by my June Birthday, last year I said I would lose 50 by the time I was 50 but that didn't go over well....lost motivation. Now I have motivation and have lost 40 already and would love to lose 10 more to be able to say I lost 50 before turning 51
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Lose hopefully 5 lbs by my Florida trip at the end of April, get a little faster by July for a 10K (annual Peachtree Road Race), and goal of 15lb, maybe 20, by the end of August for my birthday trip to Mexico.
  • rachellosesitall85
    rachellosesitall85 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Yess! I have two vacation trips and a class picnic to go to in June-July and I want to drop 29 odd pounds. Giving myself 14 weeks.
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Paris in 3 weeks <3
  • sayray16
    sayray16 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    April 23 - I turn 28
    June 20 - First day of summer
    July 15 - Potential hiking trip in AZ
    Sept 9 - Potential Half Dome hike in Yosemite
    Nov 11 - 5k

I like to have an event to look forward to every month or so in order to stay motivated.