Low sodium recipes?

Options
NavajoGirl85
NavajoGirl85 Posts: 164 Member
So I always find low calorie recipes but the sodium is so high. Who has true low calorie low sodium recipes?

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Make your own condiments, broth, etc and use a salt sub or omit salt.
    Be careful with cheeses and processed foods. Otherwise, just cook your food with less salt.
  • ElizabethHanrahan
    ElizabethHanrahan Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Most recipes can have the salt cut by at least half without changing the taste. I don't use salt in most of the recipes I make because my husband has high blood pressure. The only things I add salt to are breads, potatoes and beans but I use half the amount called for.
  • kbarrett0701
    kbarrett0701 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have a lot, I'm currently on low sodium for the day(1,000mg). I'm in the process of creating a recipe blog of everything.

15482907.png
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    @NavajoGirl85 If you use chicken, use high cost chicken breast that has not been injected with saline solution. If you drink, drink water. If you use vegetables, use fresh vegetables or canned without salt or frozen without salty sauces. Have no or little bread and cheese as those two items have much salt in them. You'll easily get your calories in a day with less than 1.5 g sodium this way. I have done it, and I DO NOT recommend it. You need sodium to stay alive. You need enough sodium to stay alive. Consuming less than 1.5 g daily over an extended period of weeks is not enough for your body to continue functioning properly.
  • Marlie22
    Marlie22 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    @NavajoGirl85 If you use chicken, use high cost chicken breast that has not been injected with saline solution. If you drink, drink water. If you use vegetables, use fresh vegetables or canned without salt or frozen without salty sauces. Have no or little bread and cheese as those two items have much salt in them. You'll easily get your calories in a day with less than 1.5 g sodium this way. I have done it, and I DO NOT recommend it. You need sodium to stay alive. You need enough sodium to stay alive. Consuming less than 1.5 g daily over an extended period of weeks is not enough for your body to continue functioning properly.

I would like to know how you easily got your daily calories and only ate 1.5mg of sodium. Most vegetables and fruits have natural sodium and so does most meat including chicken. I literally just started a low sodium lifestyle less than 1,500mg a day and I'm finding almost everything has some sodium.
  • slim4lyf
    slim4lyf Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    That is the same on my end you cannot eats ting without sodium even salt free has sodium . Glad I am not the only one fighting the 1500 mg a day issue . It's hard
  • pds06
    pds06 Posts: 298 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    No process and any recipe just add lemon herbs and spices instead of salt
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Marlie22 wrote: »

I would like to know how you easily got your daily calories and only ate 1.5mg of sodium. Most vegetables and fruits have natural sodium and so does most meat including chicken. I literally just started a low sodium lifestyle less than 1,500mg a day and I'm finding almost everything has some sodium.

@Marlie22 My diary is open. Examine it from about March 2016 to June 2016. That was the period when I was lowest in sodium.

If you want to make serious reductions in your sodium intake, you cannot have cheese, salad dressing, bread, or restaurant portions of chicken or shrimp. Again, I don't recommend it.
  • Carolla92
    Carolla92 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have recently been put on a low sodium diet due to Minere's Diease. It is hard as everything has sodium. I have started using fresh fruits and veggies. I use a salt substitute if I use any. Salad dressing I just use honey and vinegar. Or oil and vinegar. I guess any recipe could be done with just cutting back the salt or omitting it all together. The hardest thing for me was cheese. Iove cheese. Good luck.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I agree with the suggestions that spices can make all the difference in taste while keeping sodium intake low.
  • mandyrene21
    mandyrene21 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I am also watching sodium (possible intracranial hypertension) per my doctor. She says to stay at or under 2000mg sodium daily. I believe the recommendation currently is at or under 2300, so not far from that.

I'm actually finding it quite easy to stay under. Well, I should rephrase...if I stay away from anything fast food/processed/frozen I have no issues whatsoever. The hard part is when I have a craving for fast food, I love Culvers and I live really close to several.

Anyway, if I make my meals mostly homemade it's not too bad. Now that I've been doing this for almost a month, I'm noticing that things taste much more salty to me than it used to. I am also watching calories and losing weight steadily.