New life stage, new problems.. new supports?

Options
iSayNamaste
iSayNamaste Posts: 13 Member
edited March 2017 in Getting Started
Hi, I'm a 23 year old graduate student. The huge change in my life has really taken its toll on me. I went from a clean eating, active, yogi to someone who spends 10 hours a day at a desk. I'm usually so drained from work/school, I don't make the time to exercise or prepare a decent meal. I've decided I've had enough of this, seeing as I hate how my clothes fit, my body feels and my mental health suffers.
Friends and family don't understand enough to offer support & I refuse to fail again (after many start fail and restart attempts).
Looking for any motivation, connections, community or accountability I can get! Sorta new to this app, so bear with me!

I can offer encouragement and an ear to listen right back at you, with unconditional positive regard <3

Replies

• Karbum
    Karbum Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to add me!!!!! I will offer all the support I can :)
  • wede2017
    wede2017 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. Work and life is busy and it's hard to be disciplined about being healthy. I'm just starting out too. Feel free to add if u would like.
  • snowboardermom
    snowboardermom Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You can add me! I will support you!!
  • theflatpick
    theflatpick Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Sitting at a desk all day sure has taken a toll on me. It is draining, and once you finally stand up and say your through for the day, you beat and don't feel like getting any exercise. I hear ya. I struggled and struggled until I finally thought, "the job isn't changing, and the hours aren't changing, I have to change.". So.. I started using MFP and logged every dang bite I ate until I got a good idea of how many calories I was eating, how many I was burning, and where I was overeating. ALSO, I consider going to the gym, or exercising of some sort, part of my work day. I can't say "I can't go exercise after work, I have to run to the store". It HAS to be, "Man, I have to find time to get to the store since I won't be home from the gym until 6:30 or so and still need to prepare a sensible supper". Once I started giving priority to exercise, logging in MFP, and sticking to the calorie goal it sets, I started losing weight weekly, and I am in much better shape now. Also, I have acquired a good group of friends here that are really supportive. Anyone feel free to add me. Good luck in this!
  • 2012dancingqueen
    2012dancingqueen Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You can add me! I just started mfp back up again after a year of not the best eating habits and really need to get back into it. I sit at a desk all day too and could use similar motivation. Let's do it together!
  • iSayNamaste
    Options
    Sitting at a desk all day sure has taken a toll on me. It is draining, and once you finally stand up and say your through for the day, you beat and don't feel like getting any exercise. I hear ya. I struggled and struggled until I finally thought, "the job isn't changing, and the hours aren't changing, I have to change.". So.. I started using MFP and logged every dang bite I ate until I got a good idea of how many calories I was eating, how many I was burning, and where I was overeating. ALSO, I consider going to the gym, or exercising of some sort, part of my work day. I can't say "I can't go exercise after work, I have to run to the store". It HAS to be, "Man, I have to find time to get to the store since I won't be home from the gym until 6:30 or so and still need to prepare a sensible supper". Once I started giving priority to exercise, logging in MFP, and sticking to the calorie goal it sets, I started losing weight weekly, and I am in much better shape now. Also, I have acquired a good group of friends here that are really supportive. Anyone feel free to add me. Good luck in this!

That is a great way to think about it! I just struggle when I'm faced with making crappy decisions, like some days I don't get home until after 8pm (I start at 8am too!), so if I work out then I sacrifice down time/sleep/dinner/homework or something! I just don't know how to choose responsibly
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I know how that goes. I use to be super active. I hiked, biked, and walked. I didn't even drive to work. Then I moved to Oklahoma and it is much harder to do that. Unless you live in a big city, you can't walk or bike anywhere. So I slowly became less active but still had a physically demanding job. Then I started having health issues and so for the last 4 years my health has gotten worse and I have become less active. I also have had a desk job for the last 2 years because I struggled to keep up with retail because of my health and needed more money to pay medical bills. I gained a little over 40 lbs. Lost 14 for my wedding. Gained it all back plus 8 more. And now have high blood pressure on top of other problems. So I'm really forcing myself now to do more and be active. I got an exercise bike which helps with limited time since in OK I would have to drive to bike. Or drive 20 minutes to the gym. So this really helps me cut wasted time out of the picture. I make sure I do dishes every night instead of letting them pile up till the weekend. I also take the stairs, check the mail instead of making my husband. Just any little thing to make me move. I got a fitbit as well and the competition with friends motivates me.

Please feel free to add me and good luck! YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • Fitwarrior7_Round_2
    Fitwarrior7_Round_2 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Have you considered meal prep on a Sunday for the work week? This should help with the eating aspect, although you'll still have the sedentary challenge.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    MEAL PREP: Grocery shop Saturday. Sunday cook tub o eggs, tub o steel cut oats, tub o collard, onion and sausage soup, a meatloaf and a salmon loaf. Eat off it all week. Eat a good salad bar for lunch consisting of lot of different colored vegetables. Fruit and nuts as snacks. Count out 20 nuts the first time and you will know afterward what ONE serving looks like.
  • iSayNamaste
    Options
    I know how that goes. I use to be super active. I hiked, biked, and walked. I didn't even drive to work. Then I moved to Oklahoma and it is much harder to do that. Unless you live in a big city, you can't walk or bike anywhere. So I slowly became less active but still had a physically demanding job. Then I started having health issues and so for the last 4 years my health has gotten worse and I have become less active. I also have had a desk job for the last 2 years because I struggled to keep up with retail because of my health and needed more money to pay medical bills. I gained a little over 40 lbs. Lost 14 for my wedding. Gained it all back plus 8 more. And now have high blood pressure on top of other problems. So I'm really forcing myself now to do more and be active. I got an exercise bike which helps with limited time since in OK I would have to drive to bike. Or drive 20 minutes to the gym. So this really helps me cut wasted time out of the picture. I make sure I do dishes every night instead of letting them pile up till the weekend. I also take the stairs, check the mail instead of making my husband. Just any little thing to make me move. I got a fitbit as well and the competition with friends motivates me.

Please feel free to add me and good luck! YOU CAN DO THIS!

Thank your for sharing so much! I think having this community will be helpful too! Do you feel like using a fitbit helps? I dont have one but am interested!
  • iSayNamaste
    Options
    The meal prep is def something I am trying to get better at!!!! It definitely gives me more time throughout the week and helps keep on track. I do really enjoy cooking tho, sometimes it is what calms me at the end of the day so I am working on finding a good balance between prep and cooking!
  • katepauul26
    katepauul26 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I also like to cook, but i prep all my lunches and breakfasts for work. That way I can still take time to make a different dinner every night if I want.
    I recently took a job with an hour and a half commute so i'm exhausted by the time i get home. I've started working out in the morning before work and I find it super helpful!

Good Luck!
  • Cyndi3wy
    Cyndi3wy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Change can sink anyone for a while. Good for you for taking positive steps! I used to struggle in the afternoon and be totally exhausted by evening with 3 kids to go home to and cook dinner for. I felt like the worst mom in the world. I made changes to my diet and made it a no brainer for meals, now have so much energy that I can run the stadium stairs in the morning and keep pace with my nutty teenagers! You got this! Feel free to ad me for encouragement!
  • hcdo
    hcdo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I find meal prep helps me a lot. I hate to cook, but if I only have to do it once a week it's not so bad. And it definitely helps with those times that I could easily make a bad food choice and eat high-calorie junk when I'm stressed/tired/hangry. Having snacks already prepped and on-hand has really helped with that. Now if I could just stay away from my cubicle-mate's gum ball machine that dispenses M&M's!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    GucaMolly wrote: »

That is a great way to think about it! I just struggle when I'm faced with making crappy decisions, like some days I don't get home until after 8pm (I start at 8am too!), so if I work out then I sacrifice down time/sleep/dinner/homework or something! I just don't know how to choose responsibly

Is this possibly due to the "all or nothing" mindset? Meaning that you think you should choose the gym and certain foods over others every day? Because that's simply not sustainable long-term. Life will always throw you curve balls and you learn to just roll with it.

It's all about moderation and balance. Sometimes choosing to workout will help you with your energy levels. Sometimes you have to choose the downtime and get some rest. Sometimes you have to choose school or work deadlines. Finding a balance is the key.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    The meal prep is def something I am trying to get better at!!!! It definitely gives me more time throughout the week and helps keep on track. I do really enjoy cooking tho, sometimes it is what calms me at the end of the day so I am working on finding a good balance between prep and cooking!

I also cook every night but I do some of the time consuming prep for my weekly meals on the weekend. Stuff like trimming and pounding chicken breasts, cutting up some of the veggies (like cauliflower, broccoli, and brussels sprouts) that won't turn, making my marinades, prepping a few overnight oat bowls or smoothie bags for quick breakfasts. I still get the joy of cooking but it takes half the time so I can fit in other things. Maybe aim to cook 3 weeknights instead of trying for all 5 and on those other 2 add a yoga or whatever you prefer class for your wind down.

From my perspective half your battle is the significant life change so if you can tackle the things you want to change one at a time you will probably set yourself up for longer term success.
  • iSayNamaste
    Options
    I also like to cook, but i prep all my lunches and breakfasts for work. That way I can still take time to make a different dinner every night if I want.
    I recently took a job with an hour and a half commute so i'm exhausted by the time i get home. I've started working out in the morning before work and I find it super helpful!

Good Luck!

I FEEL THAT! I have an hour+ commute on 2 days a week each way, and it SUCKS especially if there is traffic!
    I just always have to decide if I am willing to lose sleep and wake up at the crack of dawn, I know sounds lazy but it means I'll suffer down the line somewhere else. Ahhhh

• iSayNamaste
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

Is this possibly due to the "all or nothing" mindset? Meaning that you think you should choose the gym and certain foods over others every day? Because that's simply not sustainable long-term. Life will always throw you curve balls and you learn to just roll with it.

It's all about moderation and balance. Sometimes choosing to workout will help you with your energy levels. Sometimes you have to choose the downtime and get some rest. Sometimes you have to choose school or work deadlines. Finding a balance is the key.

It's that balance that is killing me. I go to school, work and have an internship throughout the week. That fills my time from 8am - 8pm most days. I have homework to do when I get home which usually takes a few hours, so I'm usually burning out by 10pm. I notice if i try to work out at 6am, I can't stay awake to do my homework by 9pm. It's like what do I choose because they both seem equally important!!!! In the past years I've been really good about balance and scheduling and self care, but now it seems impossible. So I guess I am just trying to navigate the best I can, starting with some small changes that are feasible.
  • smorfin23
    smorfin23 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me too...Im 24 working at a desk job + school and I finally managed how to fit meal planning and prepping and giving myself that 1 hour of the gym everyday :)
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    Yep, good idea: small changes right now. You won't be this busy forever (I hope!) so just ride it out as best you can. Eating within your calorie goal and focusing on nutrient dense foods that keep you satisfied should be the priority over strict workouts right now. Just be as active as you can each day but you do need your rest and downtime as well.