Freeze dried fruit on Weight Watchers

Options
Hey everyone.....anyone who does weught watchers? I know most fruits are 0 points. What about freeze dried fruit....theres nothing extra added. If i go by the nutrition info this is 2 pts for the whole bag....but when u eat a regular apple....its 0pts. Just wondering how i should log this??

Replies

• shotime369
    shotime369 Posts: 5 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    By their rules it's probably 2 points. Since you can theoretically eat more mass for the same volume! I'd be tempted to just have a glass of water with it and not point it, as long as you don't go mad and eat it by the handful. ;)
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I think this is the major problem with WW. How many calories does the dried fruit have? Depending on how much you eat, you may be consuming hundreds of calories of "free" food. Count calories along with your points.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing their current program, but I was using them about 6 year ago. And even then, I had issues with the zero points. Stuff like "Okay. So if I have 2 points of rice and 2 points of beans, and then take 1 point of salad dressing and drizzle it over some tomato, cucumber, scallion, and peppers... that's a 5-point supper. But in your magazine, you have a recipe for a 'hearty rice and black bean salad' with those ingredients... and it's 7 points because you count vegetables after all if they're used in a recipe?" (They gave me some explanation about how they had to assign a point value based on calories, but they could never explain why vegetable calories didn't count if you ate them by themselves, but magically mattered when combined with grains, beans, etc.)
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I would log the points, unless you've been losing a ton or don't use your weeklies. If you're losing quickly/not using your weeklies, you have some extra "play" in your points budget. But if you're not losing reliably and use all your points every week, I would log it.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I think this is the major problem with WW. How many calories does the dried fruit have? Depending on how much you eat, you may be consuming hundreds of calories of "free" food. Count calories along with your points.

Yes. This dilemma is a good example of why making fruit "free" is a bad idea. I once ate a whole bag of dried banana chips - I imagine that was thousands of calories of free bananas.
  • NickiS87
    NickiS87 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The bag is 60 cal....same as in a regular apple i believe
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    NickiS87 wrote: »
    The bag is 60 cal....same as in a regular apple i believe

WW points have less of a connection to the caloric value of the food than they used to have. WW is using points to nudge members to eat the way that WW thinks they should eat. I imagine the point discrepancy is due to the fact that they'd like to nudge you toward fresh fruit in its natural state (for zero points in limited amounts) rather than "processed" by freeze drying (which you say would be 2 points by the nutritional information).

Which point value should you use? That's entirely up to you. It sounds to me, from the info you provided, that WW wants you to use 2 points.

I found MFP when my doctor said that I needed to try WW and I knew enough about WW (and myself) to know that that wasn't going to happen. Calorie counting is so much more straightforward that trying to figure out WW's ever-changing point landscape. It's great if WW works for you but it's just not my cup of tea.
  • southernoregongrape
    southernoregongrape Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Much All? of WW is still based on energy density. The gal who wrote the book on ED was the one who helped them design the points plus program. So, most things low in liquid are higher points.
    And they used to allow us to deduct a point for fiber, so we would pick out foods with the most fiber.
    I find calorie counting much easier.