Triglycerides

Options
2»

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    oops, you're right. Deleting now - nothing to see here...
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    My family members with triglyceride issues had to pretty much give up drinking to get the numbers to come down.
  • BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    at the GYM: "sweat is triglycerides leaving the body"
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    oops, you're right. Deleting now - nothing to see here...
    Yours wasn't a dumb post. I was just confused. Cholesterol is important too. :)
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    dpwellman wrote: »
    Exercise. Shorter, high intensity does the trick for most. There's also a period beyond, say, 40 minutes of continued steady effort (Zone 2 Training) that has a significant effect as well.

He is right. I left this out. Lower your carbs and do some working out. Even brisk walking will help. If you are overweight try to get to a healthy weight as well, but stick to your carb macros.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Years ago I went on Atkins and my blood work improved after a loss of 45 lbs.

Fast forward many years later and my blood work improved when I went vegan and lost 50ish lbs.

So for me just losing weight helped because those diets are completely different.

• dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Google says
    Eat a moderately low-fat diet. ...

Good list! I'm not sure what is meant by a "moderately low-fat diet" however. Avocado, olive oil, pasture-raised meats and dairy, and salmon will improve your overall cholesterol and won't raise triglycerides....
    I'm guessing whoever said that was trying not to give the impression that a high-fat diet was OK. Too much fat could add pounds, and that wouldn't help triglycerides.

• ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    bpotts44 wrote: »
    I has more to do with carbs not fat intake. I would get your macros set to something like 40% carbs, 30, 30. No reason to avoid red meats, but I would avoid poly unsaturated fats like vegetable oil and sugary stuff.
    This is true. Triglycerides - fats circulating in the blood - are actually elevated by carbohydrate intake. Not dietary fat. It is a classic symptom of insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome. Reducing your carbohydrate intake, especially simple carbs like sugar and some starches, can have a dramatic effect in lowering triglyceride levels. I know this from my own before/after blood work.

True. I should have carried this out. When one eats higher fat they tend to eat lower carb as a natural thing (although not *always* - it just seems people tend that way naturally when eating higher fat). To keep my triglycerides and overall lipids in check I follow a 40C, 40F, 20P macro split and that seems to work well. When I get more carbs then that my lipids tend to whack out more.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It's helpful to know WHY the triglycerides are high to begin with. Elevated triglycerides are often (usually?) not the primary problem--they are the result of something else out of whack or part of a larger genetic dyslipidemia. So all of the suggested interventions could be helpful or some of them, or none of them--it depends.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    My triglycerides were at 217 and my fasting glucose was 107. For me what worked was eating low carb and losing about 10% of my body weight. I can't guarantee if it was the weight loss or the low carbs that did the trick, but when I had blood work done a year later, my triglycerides were 52 and my fasting glucose was 80. I regained the weight at one point (and have since lost it again) but I've stayed lower carb and my triglycerides and blood glucose have both stayed lower, too.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming that since they gave you a prescription that this has been an issue at multiple visits? Because if you are not completely fasted (as per the lab's guidelines) you can have spuriously high triglycerides.