Anyone else trying to lose 30+ before their wedding?

Options
2»

Replies

• led920
    led920 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes, Im also trying to lose weight for my wedding. Would love to lose 30lbs by Oct 2017
  • motivatedsister
    motivatedsister Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    So question for you brides to be! What are y'all doing in terms of ordering your dress? I went dress shopping for the first time this past weekend, and I found something I like but I'm really confused as what's the best thing to do for ordering. My wedding isn't until early next year, but the dress I would go with if I had to decide this moment takes about 6 months to get back. The latest I can order is by end of June/ early July to have enough time to get it back and have time for alterations.

Obviously I'll get re-measured in the summer before ordering, but then there's still a good 6-7 months before the wedding. Yes I know I can get the dress altered, but is anybody worried about the risk of losing so much weight that the cost of alterations is outlandish to get it right or worse yet it's unalterable and the best thing to do is just order it in a smaller size?

I don't necessarily want to order it smaller, lol that worries me and adds unnecessary pressure! But I also know that I'm committed to my fitness plan, not just for the purposes of our wedding but just for my overall health, so I would expect to be several sizes smaller by year's end.

Any advice? Or what's your game plan as far as your dress?
  • viciouslitany
    viciouslitany Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Does it count if I'm a bridesmaid in a wedding?! I'm looking to lose 40 by July... feel free to add me!

I feel you. I'm my sister's maid of honor in November.
  • mshort405
    mshort405 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Me!!!! I'm getting married in just over a year, 4/14/18! I've lost over 100 pounds in the past but I've put on a little "relationship weight". I'd like to lose about 25 pounds and get back to where I was. I'm slowly but surely getting back into my routine. Add me!!
  • mshort405
    Options
    So question for you brides to be! What are y'all doing in terms of ordering your dress? I went dress shopping for the first time this past weekend, and I found something I like but I'm really confused as what's the best thing to do for ordering. My wedding isn't until early next year, but the dress I would go with if I had to decide this moment takes about 6 months to get back. The latest I can order is by end of June/ early July to have enough time to get it back and have time for alterations.

Obviously I'll get re-measured in the summer before ordering, but then there's still a good 6-7 months before the wedding. Yes I know I can get the dress altered, but is anybody worried about the risk of losing so much weight that the cost of alterations is outlandish to get it right or worse yet it's unalterable and the best thing to do is just order it in a smaller size?

I don't necessarily want to order it smaller, lol that worries me and adds unnecessary pressure! But I also know that I'm committed to my fitness plan, not just for the purposes of our wedding but just for my overall health, so I would expect to be several sizes smaller by year's end.

I already purchased my dress. I found it at an overstock store and it was the only one available. It zips and fits, it's just a little snug through my hips and midsection. I have never been so stressed about losing weight in my life. I would suggest ordering the dress in June at the size you are in June. Alterations can do wonders. You're going to be beautiful no matter what! Congratulations!!
  • motivatedsister
    Options
    Thanks @mshort405
  • ItsSlimpossible12
    ItsSlimpossible12 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Mine is August 4, 2017. It's crunch time! :smiley: Added
  • dominette3168
    dominette3168 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    @motivatedsister like mshort said, order a few months out that fits THAT body. I almost hosed myself for my wedding. I got my dress a size smaller, then, after losing weight, had alterations take it a little more than it needed to go (I had to ship my dress to the wedding location 3 weeks ahead of the wedding) since I planned on losing a couple more pounds....unfortunately I added. I spent the day in more discomfort than any bride should have to experience, half way thru the day the top hook blew out, so my hubby had to keep rezipping up the inch that kept slipping down. It was scary and stressful.

Now here I am coming up on our second anniversary, and my short term weight loss (life style change) goal is to fit my dress on or before our anniversary (15 Jun). Long term is to be a hottie by the end of the summer.
  • ItsSlimpossible12
    Options

I actually work at a bridal salon on the weekends and bought my dress from there. I ordered at the end of November and have since lost like 30 lbs. Each designer's size chart is different. You won't want to wait too long to lose more because, like you said, it takes 6-8 months. I would say order it when you can and just do alterations. I ended up ordering mine a size smaller than what I measured at the day of ordering (NOT RECOMMENDED but I was a little ballsy) and my dress arrived earlier than normal and when I tried it on last weekend, I was 2 sizes smaller than that smaller size! And I still have a few months to go before alterations. I would recommend waiting as long as you're comfortable, but remember that alterations work wonders as far as taking in. The seamstress (at our store at least) can take in WAY MORE than you would expect she can.
  • motivatedsister
    Options
    lol I may be ballsy like you @alheise12

One place I would need to order by month's end. For that one I would probably be comfortable ordering one size smaller just because there will still be a good 6-7 months before it would come back and then have alterations. I would hope that by then it would still need to be taken in at least another size at a minimum. But if I can't go down a size in 7 months I'm doing something wrong, so I'd be comfortable with that risk.

The other two places I found dress options, for my picks, I can order by June or early July at the latest. For those I would probably definitely order at whatever size I measured at that point (hopefully a size down from where I'm at currently!) and then alter from there.

Since last time I posted down another 3.5 lbs. I need to take measurements, but I'm definitely down some inches as well. Yay!
  • motivatedsister
    Options
    How's it going y'all? I weighed in down another 1.5 lbs on Sunday. Yay! I'm trying to stick with it; if I would tighten up my diet I know I could be doing better...lol but I love food.

I think I found THE dress! When I think about walking down the aisle in it, it's the only one so far where I can literally envision my fiancé saying "wow." I have a little more time before I have to order, so hoping to shed more lbs before then.
  • ItsSlimpossible12
    Options
    @motibvatedsister this is not AT ALL scientific or (probably) accurate but the general rule for wedding dresses is 10 lbs = 1 inch. Of course, everyone is different but that is just what we say when asked by brides.
  • melodydee66
    melodydee66 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I would like to lose another 30 lbs by September this year. I have to be a bridesmaid in my brother's wedding next year, but want to be at my goal weight by the fall. Anyone, please add me as a friend. I'm needing some motivation right now! Thank you!
  • motivatedsister
    Options
    Good to know @alheise12

Likelihood of me going down a size by the time I order the dress is small lol. Oh well can always get it taken in!
  • mshort405
    Options
    I sat down in my dress! That may seem silly but when I first bought it, that wasn't going to happen. At this point, I still need maybe a total of 1/2in total let out across my hips. My first alterations appt isn't until August so I'm still hopeful that I can make it so that no alterations are going to be needed. Keep it up ladies! We're going to be beautiful brides!!
  • sarahtiffany23
    sarahtiffany23 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Little late joining this thread, but I am getting married in October and I am really working on loosing whatever weight is possible before then! I would love some friends and support!
  • motivatedsister
    Options
    Dress ordered! My measurements were all over the place lol. My middle section is definitely where I lose weight last, so unfortunately resulted in me ordering a larger size than I would like so that it will zip/close at the waist. Even if I had to alter the dress today I would need the top taken in nearly 10 inches, and the hips about 5 just so the dress is large enough for my midsection to be accommodated. So assuming I continue to lose weight, I can't imagine how much it'll have to be taken in by the end of the year.

I started lifting heavy weights so while I have shed some inches my weight really hasn't changed much, so I only ordered 1 size smaller so there's not added pressure to lose a ton of weight (even though I still want to lose 30lbs +). I was in between sizes based on waist measurement, so I only need to go down literally 1inch in the waist for the dress to fit (my hips/bust will already fit and need to be taken in). So I figure that should absolutely be a reasonable achievement, heck even with a good pair of spanx that should happen! I still have like 7 months until alterations at the earliest, so I better be down a lot of inches by then in the waist.

I honestly hope I don't lose to much more on the bottom/top, hopefully I'm at the point where it'll start coming off the middle. Lol there's not much to lose elsewhere!

How is everyone doing?
  • BrynjaTyri
    BrynjaTyri Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    We're not even setting a date until I'm slightly comfortable with my body, 2 kids in 2 years with 70 extra pounds does something to you, only 40-50 to go!
    I see this post is originally from February, how's your weight loss so far?