Running advice.

Options
Ok, my boyfriend and I have decided that we are going to start training for a half marathon that is coming up in April 2012. I have done the half marathon before a couple years ago mainly walking it. I have never been a runner, and am worried a bout a couple things (other than completely embarrassing myself in front of said boyfriend):

1. Is it possible that there are people that just can't run no matter how hard they try?
2. Are there ways to get excited about running to motivate you?
3. What is the best pre-running food (I seem to get different answers with whichever site I go to.)
4. How do you stop from getting that stupid catch in your side?
5. How old is too old for your shoes?

Any other advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Replies

• ahappyapple
    ahappyapple Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I would love to be a runner... bump
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I think everyone can run. Not everyone can go FASTER, but everyone can go LONGER.
    I used to not care much for running, but it just REALLY helps with weight loss, so it's cool. It's also cool getting just a little bit farther every time.
    The catch: DEEP BREATHS!!!!!
    Shoes: 400-600 miles or 6 months. I changed my last pair at 411.
  • fldillon
    fldillon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm not much of a runner (high impact on bad knees) but I just blogged about another issue to watch out for: shin splints. Hopefully the stretches and exercises I mention can help you avoid it:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/fldillon/view/shin-splints-the-rogue-diet-killer-127673
  • ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    Options

1. Is it possible that there are people that just can't run no matter how hard they try?
    I'm sure there are some people, but not many. Don't use it as an excuse and just get out there and run.
    Progress motivates me. I'm going through c25k and seeing myself get better every run just makes me want to run more.
    3. What is the best pre-running food (I seem to get different answers with whichever site I go to.)
    I'm not really sure. I don't worry about my pre-run meal. I just try to get some protein in after.
    Slow down. Don't push yourself too hard. Also, learn to breathe deeply.
    If you have to ask, they're probably too old. I would go to a good running store where they watch you run and get a pair that have the support meant for your stride.

My other advice, follow a program like c25k to ramp yourself up. Don't try to do too much too soon or you'll hurt yourself and you'll stop running. Rest days are as important if not more important than running days. Good luck!

See above.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I'm not much of a runner (high impact on bad knees) but I just blogged about another issue to watch out for: shin splints. Hopefully the stretches and exercises I mention can help you avoid it:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/fldillon/view/shin-splints-the-rogue-diet-killer-127673

Compression socks / leg wraps work really well for shin splints (or avoidance thereof) while running.
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    I agree with the comment about the mileage on the shoes (in general), but some people are much harder on their shoes than others. If you tend to get the same brand/style each time once you have them properly fitted at a running store, place them up on a table or counter so that you can see how nice and flat they sit on the table, and how they don't lean to one side or another. After a few months, put them up on the table again and if you see the soles starting to wear unevenly or start to see the shoes leaning to one side or another, it's time to get them checked out.
  • strongwoman84
    strongwoman84 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Also...Does running help tone the other parts of your body? i.e. tummy, arms, etc. I know it's primarily your legs, but the other muscles are working too... right? Did I mention I've never been a runner. lol :laugh:
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Few tips on starting half training:

1. Get fitted for shoes. Can't stress this enough. I've injured myself not running in correct shoes even after running for 6 years. Shoes are KEY! (and sometimes you may require special insoles or other running gear, but that's individual)
    2. Don't ignore pain and/or injuries if you should experience them.
    3. Take it slow - pace yourself, then build.
    4. Follow a training program (I recommend halhigdon.com)
    5. Sign up for some 5K and 10K events along the way as good practice.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Ok, my boyfriend and I have decided that we are going to start training for a half marathon that is coming up in April 2012. I have done the half marathon before a couple years ago mainly walking it. I have never been a runner, and am worried a bout a couple things (other than completely embarrassing myself in front of said boyfriend):

Any other advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

1. I would say that everyone can reach some degree of running...shoot there are people with two prosthetic legs that run so I bet you can figure out some running or run/walk method that works great for you...ie research Jeff Galloway
    2. If you are looking for great motivation...signing up for the race is one step...makes it real...another thing that can be terribly motivating is to find a charity that means a lot to you and use your training/racing to raise money for the charity. Iam running my marathon in honor of a little girl in my daughters' school that has cancer...she motivates me
    3. There is no good answer as to what you should eat because we all eat differently. I eat a bagel before a morning run my sister in law doesn't eat food but uses those sport gels...I hate those things...but you should eat something...it depends on what your belly tolerates etc.
    4. Side stitch...when it happens...ease your pace a little bit...breathe slowly through your nose...when you have made a full inhale pause like a count of 2 and exhale slowly through your mouth...do that until your side stitch is gone...
    5. Shoes is another very personal topic...again...I have also gone through running shoes quickly...or I have sore knees etc...that is usually how I know...but I get about -250-300 miles out of my shoes before I have to make them my walking around shoes and get new shoes for running...others can wear just about anything and wear them until they fall apart...

Enjoy your training and good luck to you and BF
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I never never thought I would be able to run but I am now on week 4 of C25K which means I run 5 mins at a time.

My husband did half-marathons and carbs like pasta were what he was always told before hand.

Tepid baths afterwards drives out the lactic acid in the muscles which is what causes them to ache.

6 months is the lifespan of a pair of running shoes I believe.

My biggest motivator is I feel so different in my shape.

Good luck
  • DancinSMartiPants
    Options
    I agree that everyone can run, just maybe not what you would think of as "fast." Your speed shouldn't be compared to anyone else's if you're learning to love running. Worry about speed later.

With that said, maybe instead you and your boyfriend running *together,* you might start out at the same time, but go in different directions and have a meet-back point? Or perhaps y'all could go at completely different times and just follow the same trainging schedule? That way you don't have to worry about keeping up with him or embarrassing yourself and you can just get into the groove.
  • micklepickle61
    Options
    I think that, unless you have a medical condition that would keep you from running, anyone can run. You have to be patient. Its not going to happen overnight. The only way to get comfortable running. . . is to run. I believe the benefits are well worth the effort.

I started running about 5 years ago using the C25K program. I ran my first 5K after completing the program. I was beaten by an 8 year old girl. I'm not really all that fast now, but I'm running for me. I'm competing against my last time. I'm using my running to allow me to try different sports such as bicycling, backpacking, hiking, swimming and trail running. I've lost 40 lbs since I started.

If you are having trouble finishing, slow down. Don't be ashamed to walk if you need to.

I generally replace my shoes at around 300 miles.

Good luck.

Mike
  • strongwoman84
    strongwoman84 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice guys!
  • BECav0602
    BECav0602 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I recently started to like running and am doing my first half in November. As some of the other posters said, go get fitted for shoes. A reputable running store will watch you run and recommend shoes for you. A good store will also let you bring them back if after a couple runs you notice any pain (I took back 2 pair before I finally found the right ones for me).

Start out slow. I recommend the couch to 5K program and then building up from there. Not everyone is fast. I run about a 10 min mile and am happy with that. Running will help you lose weight all over but be sure to stretch and incorporate some weight training to avoid injury. I also used to get blisters when I started. I love the feetures! running socks. Haven't had a blister since I started wearing them.

For motivation I use Nike + GPS on my iphone to track my runs. I have friends on Nike + and am involved in "challenges" (basically many competitions such as most mile in 2011, Half marathon training) where you can see where you rank amongst the challengers. I am a highly competitive person and this pushes me to do better and to get out there and run on the days I don't want to.

Good luck and happy running!
  • lisab42
    lisab42 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Things I have learned, usually the hard way:

Buy socks suited to running, cotton will give you blisters.

Yes, good shoes are important so make sure you get the right ones and change them up by 500k.

Use bodyglide to minimize chaffing.

Shorten up your stride and that may help with the stitches. The longer my stride, the more bounce in my step. That's what causes my diaphragm to cramp and hence, the stitch.

If you will be carrying water rather than depending on stations, buy a water belt now and get used to wearing it. Believe it or not you will notice the added weight if you train without it.

Some days are harder to run than others but run anyway. Its better to have a slow run than no run at all. So pace yourself and be patient with yourself. As you condition your body it will get easier. When they say running is 90% mental and 10% physical, they aren't lying.

Good fortune with the training and the race.
  • mycatas
    mycatas Posts: 20
    Options
    I'm not fast and definitely not built like a runner, but I'm persistent. Here's what I've learned from 3 years of running nearly daily:

Start out slowly and only increase your distance by 10% per week. Make sure you pay attention to what your legs are telling you and take rest days. I hate rest days, but it keeps me from getting hurt.

You may get shin splints, but they will pass. Training too hard too fast will give you stress fractures and you'll be out for 6 weeks min. When I've been out for a while, I start by walking long distances. Then replace a mile or two with very gentle jogging. Then keep upping the ratio of run time to walking.

If you get a stitch in your side quickly, you're going too fast. You can go quite slowly while still running. If I'm pushing too hard, I listen to music with a gentler beat to slow the pace.

New shoes are worth the money. As soon as mine are tapped (approx. 300 miles), my knees, hips and feet start to kill. Best to start with new ones, but go to a running store and get some professional advice (from the oldest person in the shop). Our feet are as different as our personalities... Good luck! Running is fantastic!
  • jabbogurl
    jabbogurl Posts: 193
    Options
    I think everyone can run, its whether they want to or not and the self talk. I always told myself I was not a runner and could not run. But once I told myself I could and slowly (very slowly) increased my distance from only running from one light post, then 3, then .5 miles and now 3miles, its amazing. Just take your time with the distance, but also push yourself to do what you can do.

You need to have an mp3 player of some kind. I have to listen to music when I run, even though my mind wonders and I'm not really listening to the music. But if my battery dies on a run, it just kills me. Also, having a race that you've already signed up for pushes you, knowing you have that coming up. And, my husband bought me real running shoes $130, so I knew I couldn't give up, otherwise I'd feel bad about that money. lol

Everyone is different. If its a morning race, I won't eat before hand actually. I don't like to do anything too liquidy because then it sloshes around. I also found that youghurt, me and running don't mix. LoL. She just try out different things and see what works for you.

Make sure you are hydrated before running and breathing right. It sounds silly, but those muscles are craving oxygen and if you breathe too quickly and short, they aren't getting enough oxygen. Make sure you are taking deep breaths in and out

I've heard on average, to replace your shoes twice a year, but it depends on how much your running really. You can always take them into a running store and they can look at them.

Good LUCK!
  • javaruck
    javaruck Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    1) No, I think with proper training, anyone can become a runner. My first year that I did the Nautica Malibu Triathlon, I will never forget the sight of a double amputee blowing past me on the run. Inspirational to say the least!

2) Improving my times, and running with all the new friends I've made - the running community is very laid back and welcoming to newbies whether they are fast or slow.

3) I generally don't change my diet before a run unless I am going long (10+ miles). Even then, I only make sure that I avoid anything new or spicey. At my speed (SLOW...), I can't say that carb loading does anything. What is important is to take in carbs when you go long. I find that a gel every 40 minutes or so seems to keep me going.

4) As I gained more experience and better conditioning, that problem seemed to pretty much go away.

5) I try to limit my shoes to 500 miles for running (unless, I notice problems earlier on).

Running helped me to lose 60 LBS and my strong conditioning allowed for a full recovery after a heart attack/cardiac arrest earlier this year (nothing like being from the shallow end of the gene pool!). My cardiologist let me get back to running within months and I've completed 2 half marathons since my heart attack including a new PR of 2:01:32 - I have one more half and then a full marathon before the end of the year. My doctor said I probably would not have survived my heart attack had it not been for the conditioning that running provided. Needless to say, I will keep on running as long as I can.

Good luck - you can do it!
  • ErikaSwenson
    ErikaSwenson Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    A banana is my pre-run food of choice!

Lisab42: What is bodyglide?? On my long runs I wear spandex but still manage to get pesky chaffing.
  • whiskyzee
    whiskyzee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'll only respond to a couple of these points since there's already some really good advice here.

--You probably can run, but you'll never believe it until you actually do it. Motivation is great, but if you're trying to get started, you might benefit more from a little distraction. Are you competetive? Play on a local team (I find that soccer is great for conditioning. By the way, when I don't have a soccer ball at my feet, I suddenly "can't" sprint very far). Maybe get a jogging buddy to chat with. Use a new route or even a trail. Give your head something to do so that it's not focused on convincing you that you're tired.
    --A little trick mountain bikers use for climbing hills: count 5 times your right foot hits the pavement, focusing on that foot. Then, shift focus to 5 times your left foot strikes. Essentially, you can fool your muscles into thinking that they're only working half as hard. I do this when running up big hills.
    --You'll have to figure out your own best running meals. The reason why there are so many different "guides" out there is that everyone responds differently to food. I find that I run best (fastest, longest) when I've had a lot of complex carbs about an hour or 2 before the run, then a small glass of fruit juice right before. My husband, on the other hand, can't handle anything in his stomach when he runs, so he'll fast for 3-4 hours and just hydrate with water.
    --running will tone your legs, but not a lot until you're at the level when your muscles are tired before your lungs. When I started, I would get "tired' (because I was out of breath), so I'd stop, but I wasn't running long enough to actually feel the muscles in my legs working. What it will do, though, is burn a lot of calories to help you shed fat (so you can actually see those badass muscles). Personally, running (and cardio in general, really) has made my arms and core skinnier, but I throw in as many pushups as I can handle at the end of my workout to give them some definition. Typically, running (or walking) on an incline is a better muscle workout for the bum area; going down a hill will use the lower leg a bit more. Trail running or sports that include pivots and twists will utilize the core because you're constantly trying to get your balance.

Good for you! Good luck!