Not overweight, but want to lose 5 - 10lbs

Options
I let myself go back to bad habits about 7 months ago and gained 10lbs. My wedding is coming up in May and I want to lose the extra weight to fit in my dress. I've been eating healthy, drinking lots of water, drinking protein shakes, and working out almost daily. I'm not seeing any results. I've lost 0 inches and 0 lbs.

I'm at a loss and want to just give up! Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to kick start this stubborn weight that won't budge??

Replies

• LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    So let me get this start you're trying to lose 10 pounds before your wedding in May?
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    If you give up you're definitely not going to lose anything. You don't have to eat any special way except at a deficit. Make sure MFP is set to have you lose .5lb/week (it's frustrating but an appropriate deficit with only 10lb to lose), weigh your foods (for the protein shake liquids, measure them) because you want to be as accurate as possible.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    You've mentioned nothing about counting calories. Start there. And don't be disappointed if you don't lose all ten pounds by then, as you're looking at 5-9 weeks depending on when your wedding is. You may be better off investing in some Spanx.
    Sounds about right!
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    So let me get this start you're trying to lose 10 pounds before your wedding in May?

I want to lose the 10lbs, but not necessarily before the wedding. I was 105lbs when I bought the dress and I'm 114lbs now. But any weight loss is going to help it fit better!!
  • tinabell153
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    You've mentioned nothing about counting calories. Start there. And don't be disappointed if you don't lose all ten pounds by then, as you're looking at 5-9 weeks depending on when your wedding is. You may be better off investing in some Spanx.

I've been tracking calories, but not consistently. I'll work harder at it! I did buy a body suit from Spanx and it makes the dress fit, but I'd like to lose however much I can before May. I have 7 weeks before the wedding and 8 before the honeymoon!
  • tinabell153
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    If you give up you're definitely not going to lose anything. You don't have to eat any special way except at a deficit. Make sure MFP is set to have you lose .5lb/week (it's frustrating but an appropriate deficit with only 10lb to lose), weigh your foods (for the protein shake liquids, measure them) because you want to be as accurate as possible.

This is a good point. I have it set to lose 1lb a week. Maybe if I lower to .5lbs I will start seeing a change!
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Weigh all your food - buy a food scale, if you don't have one. I weighed meat - what I thought looked like 4 ounces it was truly 6 ounces (I am not good at eyeballing portions and ounces). Continue to eat healthy foods and I've seen big results with strength training, add that to your program (if you haven't). Take on a workout partner that will motivate you. I love my gym partner. Push forward
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Afura wrote: »

This is a good point. I have it set to lose 1lb a week. Maybe if I lower to .5lbs I will start seeing a change!

Uh...no. You want to go the other way. Aim for a larger weight loss so you make up for the inaccuracies in your logging that are keeping you from have a calorie deficit.
  • kenzienal
    kenzienal Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    You could try intermittent fasting. 16:8 ?

Eat in a 8hr window bracket, and then fast for 16 hours. I have chosen to eat only between 12pm and 8pm. Basically just skipping breakfast and any mornings snacks.

Last week I lost 2 pounds just from skipping 4-5 meals in the entire week. Just wasnt hungry so I didnt eat.

So I have decided to try IF now regularly to knock these final 15lbs.
  • tinabell153
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    I don't understand how adding caloric beverages (protein shakes) is supposed to help lose weight?

I usually do half a scoop, which is only 60 calories and in almond milk which is 20 calories, so it's not adding too much. Plus I make sure to log it.
  • tinabell153
    Options
    kenzienal wrote: »

Eat in a 8hr window bracket, and then fast for 16 hours. I have chosen to eat only between 12pm and 8pm. Basically just skipping breakfast and any mornings snacks.

I've tried this and I felt really deprived. I'm an avid snacker, so fasting is really difficult for me. If I'm hungry (stomach growling) I'm gonna eat lol.
  • kenzienal
    kenzienal Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    kenzienal wrote: »

I've tried this and I felt really deprived. I'm an avid snacker, so fasting is really difficult for me. If I'm hungry (stomach growling) I'm gonna eat lol.

TOTALLY understand that. What works for one, might not work for another.

Ive found that im incredibly hangry when I eat 3 meals a day(Im not a snacker, snacks tend to turn into mini meals of bad things for me), versus much less hungry when i only eat two. I don't know how that works, but I hope it sticks around.

Cause when I am hangry.... my boyfriend avoids me at all costs lol.
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat and trying to lose about 10 pounds.

Lately I have been carefully tracking as I eat or before, using a food scale. I weigh myself every few days. I haven't been losing at all, so I averaged out my calorie consumption each day. It is about 2,200, so if I want to lose I need to cut back from that. I am trying to do between 1,800-2,000 a day, but it is hard! I like food and I get hungry.
  • Tennisskater
    Tennisskater Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am in same boat,
    Hers how I am doing it... I took out all carbs except veggies, limit fruits, increase fiber and protein, and make sure I get enough th fats during the day. The first few days I ate a lot of apples and then the cravings totally stopped and I use my calories for protein and veggies now. I have no blood sugar swings and so I truly eat only when I am hungry. I am so much healtheier and veggies taste amazing.
    I started about 3 weeks ago and have lost 3-4 pounds so far.
  • heatherj0y
    heatherj0y Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm with Tennisskater, I don't seem to lose weight unless I only eat veges and low calorie protein like fish, eggs and chicken.

It's boring but I do find frozen veges very convenient