Curious...Best tool you've purchased?

Options
I was thinking about this the other day for myself and am curious what my peers have to say. What is the best fitness or nutritional tool that you have purchased that has helped you the most on your journey?
What gave you the biggest return on your investment? For example, was it purchasing a Heart Rate Monitor (HRM)?, a dvd program like P90x, Insanity, or 30DS?, a specific piece of workout equipment?, a gym membership?, a new pair of workout shoes?, a food scale?

I am not looking for advice on anything particular or thinking that if I buy certain things I will see the best results. Rather, I am just curious what you all feel has been among your best assets or tools to help you on your fitness/healthy living path that you had to purchase??

For me: Naturally, MFP has been the most helpful tool, but it is free. So probably of the items that I have purchased so far that have helped me the most would be a new, good pair of running shoes and an elliptical machine.

Replies

• kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Best 152 bucks I have ever spent - HRM :)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    The best tool I have are my ice skating boots. Not cheap but without a good, quality pair, I wouldn't be able to do what I do.
  • mamato4kids
    mamato4kids Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Body Media arm band.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    RunKeeper app for iPhone. Does everything a high-end GPS does for a fraction of the price.
  • FirewifeCarrie
    Options
    My Suunto M4 HRM! Used my winning from my school's Biggest Loser Contest and bought it and some new clothes! Best tool ever:)
  • Jillian1104
    Jillian1104 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My food scale-- hands down.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    BodyBugg... never would have figured why I was only losing 2 out of 4 weeks without it. Now I lose every week. :bigsmile:
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Best tools for me:

#1- $100 for a bodybugg
    #2- Smartphone for tracking calories on the go, recording lifting, recording cardio including routes , times and distances. Of course I love muscic/radio while workout and it keeps me going at a good pace.
    #3- Food scale.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    my food scale
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    If I have to pick one, it's definitely my New Balance sneakers with Spenco arch supports. Without a good base, I'd be in trouble.
    My 2nd and 3rd place tools are my Polar FT4 and my gym membership. :)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    good runners and a gym membership
  • _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    HRM, Good Shoes and a good scale. :)
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    my polar HRM and my resistance band. most definitely.
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    HRM and Turbo Jam
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I haven't bought a lot of stuff (no HRM or food scale or anything yet). But I think a new set of gym clothes every so often, especially after losing a size, helps. I feel cute and up-to-date (and not frumpy!)
  • kategottli
    kategottli Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    (REAL) running shoes, Nike+ adapter, and Nike+ GPS for my ipod touch. Cost maybe $150 total. The shoes made such a difference because now I am wearing proper shoes, and running just FEELS better. Makes me want to do it more!

Nike+ tracks my runs, pace, calories burned etc. the nike+ website keeps track of all my runs so I can watch my progress and set goals for myself (run x kilometers in x time, do x workouts a week, burn x calories by x date etc). You can even join "challengers" where a group of runners strive to hit a certain goal first.

It has made me a better runner, and more importantly, more MOTIVATED to get out there. I'm more likely to go for a run if I know I only have three days left in a challenge and finally want to beat that girl from Australia! LOL
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    So true about the smartphones. My phone allows me to use MFP, Runkeeper app, stopwatch and timer apps, look up nutritional info for restaurants, listen to free music while working out, etc etc. Definitely would be lost without the phone. Great Investment!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Food scale.
  • fateschild
    fateschild Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My wii and the EA Active 2 game. Have never exercised more regularly.
  • marquesajen
    marquesajen Posts: 641
    Options
    Running shoes. I never would've started jogging if I hadn't bought them. I just feel more athletic in them, so I work out more, I push myself more.