Diet Starts Tomorrow

Jayfeather15
Jayfeather15 Posts: 107 Member
edited March 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Okay so I'm starting my diet tomorrow and I got the idea in my head to make a Hershey chocolate bar my reward at the end of the day. My mom bought a pack of them and I took one and put it in my room. I plan to try to eat healthy all day and then the chocolate will be my reward. Like I'll switch it up and use other things besides the chocolate bar. Is this a good idea or what? Also if this doesn't work can you suggest some tips? What about the 80/20 rule? Only eating out on weekends?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    I fit something tasty into my day almost every day. Just make sure it fits your calories.
  • Jayfeather15
    Before eating it, you need to figure out your calorie allowance for the day and make it fit. Nothing wrong with a chocolate bar if it fits. It may mean you need to pre-log the day to ensure it fits. I've got Mars Bites calling my name and a few hundred calories left. Just trying to decide if I want them, popcorn or another glass of wine.

What are your calorie goals? Maybe only half or a third will fit.
    My limit is 1610 calories a day.

• ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Before eating it, you need to figure out your calorie allowance for the day and make it fit. Nothing wrong with a chocolate bar if it fits. It may mean you need to pre-log the day to ensure it fits. I've got Mars Bites calling my name and a few hundred calories left. Just trying to decide if I want them, popcorn or another glass of wine.

What are your calorie goals? Maybe only half or a third will fit.
    My limit is 1610 calories a day.

Doesn't matter of you eat 1595 of them before you get to that Hershey bar. Just make sure you make room for it that's all. :)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    From what I see, a Hershey's bar is 550 calories for 100 grams. Not sure the size of the bar you have. May half that? Maybe more. You need to look at everything else you are eating in a the day and see if the 550 (or half, or whatever) fits in your goals for the day. You don't have to have it all at once.

You'll find that you will need to learn to savour this stuff and still meet your goals. So, form my personal experience, you honestly may need to learn to not wolf it down but to eat it a little at a time and left it melt in your mouth.

• Jayfeather15
    From what I see, a Hershey's bar is 550 calories for 100 grams. Not sure the size of the bar you have. May half that? Maybe more. You need to look at everything else you are eating in a the day and see if the 550 (or half, or whatever) fits in your goals for the day. You don't have to have it all at once.

You'll find that you will need to learn to savour this stuff and still meet your goals. So, form my personal experience, you honestly may need to learn to not wolf it down but to eat it a little at a time and left it melt in your mouth.
    It's just the standard size bar. The one in Walmart by the check out.

• Jayfeather15

It's just the standard size bar. The one in Walmart by the check out.

It's the standard size bar.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    No idea how big that is. Plus I'm up North (Canada) so our bar size will be different. Still think you'll only fit a third in and still have enough calories for food.
  • Jayfeather15
    No idea how big that is. Plus I'm up North (Canada) so our bar size will be different. Still think you'll only fit a third in and still have enough calories for food.
    Okay you know when you get to the checkout at Walmart and there's the row of candy? Just the regular size. Like the size of your checkbook.
  • Jayfeather15
    Make the chocolate bar fit. Don't just eat it on top of your "good day" or that sort of defeats the purpose. I also wouldn't view it as a reward, but rather moderating treats so that you can enjoy your new way of eating and make it sustainable for the long run. If you find that it's choking out good nutrition, or you find that you're not satisfied because it was a small amount of food for a large number of calories, consider trimming the portion back.

If you're starting tomorrow, my advice is to make a solid plan and start pre-logging today.
    How do I prelog? I have to go to classes tomorrow. I'm tempted to eat at a restaurant cause I'm so hungry usually. I have this two hour gap between my classes and then one last class and then practice and I go home.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited March 2017
    Make the chocolate bar fit. Don't just eat it on top of your "good day" or that sort of defeats the purpose. I also wouldn't view it as a reward, but rather moderating treats so that you can enjoy your new way of eating and make it sustainable for the long run. If you find that it's choking out good nutrition, or you find that you're not satisfied because it was a small amount of food for a large number of calories, consider trimming the portion back.

If you're starting tomorrow, my advice is to make a solid plan and start pre-logging today.
    How do I prelog? I have to go to classes tomorrow. I'm tempted to eat at a restaurant cause I'm so hungry usually. I have this two hour gap between my classes and then one last class and then practice and I go home.

You just move your diary ahead to the next day and start plugging.

Does the restaurant have calorie info? Or do you have a menu that you can look at ahead of time and pick lighter options? Logging restaurant food can be a huge guessing game, though, which is why I eat out so rarely these days, especially while I'm actively trying to lose. If not, can you pack something to eat?
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    I used to love food as rewards, then I realized this was silly. If I want to eat something, I fit it into my macros - ie I wanted a Dr Pepper (I get the little 90 cal cans), made sure I had enough calories, drank the Dr. Pepper.
    Be wary of packaging size too, it may be 1 package on things, but when you look there are multiple serving sizes. I'm looking at you Mr Peanut and your 'travel size'.
    A Hershey bar could be anywhere from 210 to 240 depending on the actual size, I like to go for the small (not micro) reese's cups or individually wrapped chocolate. More portion control - I'd eat the whole bar vs 2 reese's and save some calories.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Okay you know when you get to the checkout at Walmart and there's the row of candy? Just the regular size. Like the size of your checkbook.

I know it's hard to believe but many of us have never been to an American Wal-Mart...and things like candy size vary greatly from one country to another.
  • Jayfeather15
    ogtmama wrote: »

I know it's hard to believe but many of us have never been to an American Wal-Mart...and things like candy size vary greatly from one country to another.
    Oh okay. I've been to Canada too but I never noticed the difference.

• kellysmith410
    kellysmith410 Posts: 58 Member
    ogtmama wrote: »

Oh okay. I've been to Canada too but I never noticed the difference.

Just trying to give some insight - went to the Hershey website.
    A standard size bar you buy in a store is 43 grams, or 210 calories.
    It's also helpful to check on the wrapper for more nutrition information.

If it fits your calories for the day, then go for it, but I also caution against using food as a reward, more just seeing it as something you can fit into your daily calorie goals.
  • floridamike99
    floridamike99 Posts: 35 Member
    OK, so here is some free advice--maybe it is worth what you paid for it......you sound very young, based on mentioning that your mom bought you the candy and you are keeping it in your room......my advice would be that you not start a DIET at all, but start to learn about your body, food, exercise, and how to achieve a sustainable long term consistent plan that keeps you lean and mean and active and healthy. Your goal should be to learn now the kinds of activities and behaviors that will serve you well for the rest of your life, not to figure out ways to use the chocolate bar at the end of the day as a reward for doing the right things (not to say that a chocolate bar shouldn't be an enjoyable part of your lifer program if that is what you want--it just shouldn't be the main focal point of your program--you know what I mean?). For the vast majority of people DIETS do not work long term, because they create a false, temporary reality that is not sustainable. I know first hand--I was obese for 20+ years, and probably went on 20 diets. What works long term is to decide that you want to live a long, healthy, active, balanced life. Once that is your mindset and your top priority, the pieces of the puzzle actually fall into place fairly easily. So anyway, that is my free advice. Take it or leave it. Good luck.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    I don't feel comfortable giving any health advice to you since something tells me you're in your early teens. Please speak with your parents and a doctor about any concerns you have about your health.
    Thanks!
  • bee_bee8
    bee_bee8 Posts: 96 Member
    As long as you don't go over your calorie goal, eat whatever you want. Personally though, I think you might have more success in the long run if you find treats you enjoy that aren't quite so calorie-dense.
    I snack constantly, and I've lost over 30 lbs. I'd rather eat 200 calories of cereal than 200 calories of chocolate, because the former will allow me to snack for longer. A chocolate bar is gone in 2 minutes; I could snack on a bowl of dry cereal for 30-45 minutes.
    That's just what works for me, though. I like to eat a lot, so I pick foods that are low in calories that I can eat a ton of. Some people can't live without their Hershey bars or Big Macs, though, and that's fine too. As long as you burn more calories than you eat, you'll lost weight.

I have to echo some of the other responses and say you sound quite young. Take it from someone with a weight obsession from an early age - you should do some research and learn about nutrition. It's terrible they don't teach proper health in most schools. "Dieting" and any other short-term weight loss strategy is not nearly as effective as embracing a healthier, more self-aware lifestyle when it comes to food. Know how much you're eating, know how much energy you're burning. Peruse these forums for some solid advice on losing weight while being healthy.