62 yrs old - is it reasonable to start running?

Options
Hi Everyone! I'm a 62yr old female who's been grossly overweight her entire life. I'm 6ft tall, with a large skeletal frame. Over the past year I've lost over 110 lbs, from 305 to current 193 (still losing). With all that weight gone, I'm constantly feeling restless, like I have ants in my pants. I want to MOVE, all the time! I walk 4 miles every day before work. Although it doesn't feel like enough (feels like there's more energy to burn), I don't have the time to walk more. So I'm wondering if it's reasonable for me to maybe start running? I've heard how it can be harmful to joints, etc. and I surely don't want to risk injury. Does it make sense to start running for a large boned woman in her 60s who's never been a runner before? Thinking of maybe starting C25K. What do y'all think?

Replies

• Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My mom is 67 years old and still runs! I say go for it! Start with couch to 5k! Good luck!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Do it. I felt the same when I lost about the same. I am just over 55. I now have a nice stack of participant ribbons.

To calm my daughters fears I took a learn to run class from our local Running Room, ten weeks. I also learned how to avoid injury. Fellow runners are super supportive.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Whatever you 'heard' is a myth. Runners tend to have better joints (especially knees) than non runners. We get into trouble when we try to do to much too soon. Otherwise, running is a great exercise and sport.

I say go for it. Find a good plan like Couch to 5K or find a local running store that offers classes.

Good luck.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Start slow, maybe a run/walk program like C25K.
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Do it! I'm 52 and I started with C25K in December after spending 18 months on an elliptical. I now run 4-5 times per week and can run 6 miles relatively comfortably. Just take it as slow as necessary. C25K is intended for alternate days and you can repeat days as many times as you need to. You got this!
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    .Run...fast like the wind. Or a gentle summer breeze. I started at about 50, about halfway through my 65# weight loss. I don't love it, but it started me toward what I do love...power lifting. Have fun! BTW...you will probably have even more energy. It is amazing and wonderful. Five years later I still have it, and can't imagine going back.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Woo Hoo, yes, by all means run. But as a favor to me, please go get fitted for proper running shoes and get a few pairs of high quality dry fit socks first. It makes ALL the difference in the world and I'm not exaggerating and I don't work for a shoe store. I like Asics and Hoka.

Oh and one more thing, put together a fun, high energy playlist with songs that have a similar BPM. Helps you keep pace. Have fun and enjoy the great outdoors!

PS - I'm 52 tomorrow and recently did my first half marathon last year!
  • awayfromdesk760
    awayfromdesk760 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Since you've never done any running before, please check with your physician before beginning. That advice would apply to anyone so it's not an age thing. We're not familiar with your medical history or lifestyle, but your doctor is and will most likely clear you to begin- just do yourself that favor and make sure. Have fun running!
  • MimiOfTheFraserValley
    MimiOfTheFraserValley Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss! That's so cool!! B)

I know a woman who was a few years older than you who'd lost a lot of weight, & she started running. She sought out the advice of a personal trainer at her local gym who knew about running, & now, a few years later, she runs almost every day, making sure to take at least one day off for rest every week.

Have fun with it!!
  • PinkamenaD8
    PinkamenaD8 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Of course you can run! The C25k is a very good starting program, but still consult a physician and listent to your body if you start feeling too tired.

Completing your running goals with a good playlist feels amazing, and will get rid of that extra energy.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Do it.
    I'm 63 and don't run, it just doesn't speak to me, but I will (or have) have a go at almost anything else.

Take it slow, get a check up, and have fun.

Cheers, h.
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Ansolutely, but like mentioned, consult physician ... and ... go to a good running shop for getting the right shoes. They will do a gait-assessment. Nothing worse than running on the wrong shoes, that will spoil the whole experience
  • DannyYMi54321
    DannyYMi54321 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Used to be a retired female physician lived down the street. She was one of the female pioneers of surgery, got her MD in the 1920s. She passed away at 98 (she's been gone probably 20 years now) and was jogging 3-5 miles about 5 days a week until the time she died - in her sleep of a stroke. Way to go out IMHO.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    You sound like me. I was taking the weight off and out for a walk when I felt like running a bit. So I looked up a training program similar to C25K, and turned myself into a runner at the tender age of 55. Now I'm 61, I travel to USATF events with my running club to compete in the M 60+ category, and on April 17 I'll run my second Boston Marathon. You never know where that first step will take you.

And as for being female, I have an older sister who took off 100+ pounds. She's the one who pushed me into running half marathons, but her true love is triathlons. She may get to her first half iron tri at age 64; she has done several Olympic distance tris in her 60s.
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    iofred wrote: »
    Ansolutely, but like mentioned, consult physician ... and ... go to a good running shop for getting the right shoes. They will do a gait-assessment. Nothing worse than running on the wrong shoes, that will spoil the whole experience

Agree with this. Can't stress enough how important it is to be fitted for the correct shoes - both to enjoy the experience and to avoid injury.

I'm 59 now, run on average 3X per week (although not high mileage), and hope to keep on doing so for many years to come.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    My aunt ran a marathon in each state of the US, and did the last several in her later 50s. She's 66 now and still runs.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    first off- congrats on your weight loss so far!! Secondly, from the info you've given I see no problem, though I think you may want to start with jogging, but check with your doctor and see if s/he has any recommendations.

Age-wise: my father has a 70ish year old friend who goes SKY DIVING with his grandchildren!! SKY DIVING!!! He also knows how to fly a plane (couldn't get his license renewed this year because of his age, but he still knows how!)
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I restarted running, after a "brief' layoff of some 25 years, when I was 60. Ran a Half marathon, among several 5Ks when I was 62. GO FOR IT! Start slow, listen to your body and gradually increase your distance. Most of all ENJOY THE RUN.