Willpower and Determination

Does anyone have any tips on staying focused and not losing the will to diet? Does keeping a picture of a toned hot body help?

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,241 Member
    If you eat filling foods so that your satiety is always high you don't need any of those.

Still though for determination my mirror helps a lot.
  • Jayfeather15
    Jayfeather15 Posts: 107 Member
    nrbutton wrote: »
    A particular woman that makes me jealous every time I think about her, for some reason I've not been able to get her out of my head but I know before this last pregnancy I was at my ideal weight for my body type and I felt 100 times sexier than her. Just hearing her name or the thought of her makes me want to go for a run. It's my own internal driving force
    THIS. I should do that.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Take a look at this page.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/how-to-succeed-at-new-years-resolutions/

He talks about motivation about halfway down and it is a good read. It may not be what you are looking for, but it is of interest.

Short answer is motivation is pretty short lived.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    what you have described above is exactly what will power is.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Willpower and determination always fail me. I stick to the numbers and trust the system.
  • ferd_ttp5
    ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
    I use my beloved sport for many years as my motivation "Table Tennis" I've played in my primary and secondary years as a overweight athlete honestly but i'm the best player of my team i mean it lol, but still behind of my success winning some of championships I still get criticism from other people because of my body the negative ones. After those days it is a last year of my high school and it is my last year to play with my team and I want to prove to those people who get descriminating me because of my body that they are wrong! I decided to change myself for the better me and I use those bad peoples as my determination to reach my goals. And now im in my College years playing as a varsity of my dearly University here in my country successful and those who doubts me that I can't be fit for life they are wrong and I enjoy ignoring them! It is just my thoughts of me but im still humbling down behind my wins and i'm never be bitter to my defeats! Just find yourself and you can be as what you want!
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    zorbaru wrote: »

uh ... no, it's not. http://dramyjohnson.com/2015/01/why-willpower-doesnt-work/
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    I keep recalling how I used to look and feel in my same clothes I wear now, and how angry I get when I see the number on the scale and tape measure. Then I take it one day at a time; the present is all we have anyway. I also look at pics of fit people to kind of remind myself that I can do better and I have done better and not to remain in a slump.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Mine is that I want to get my BP and cholesterol down and stay healthy. Most of the issues that run in the family don't care your weight, but can be somewhat helped with diet and meds.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Relative strength goals keep me focused. A wise man once said "I don't care if you can bench over a grand; if you can't get your fat *kitten* off the toilet without using your hands, you are not strong."
  • RaphaBianchi
    RaphaBianchi Posts: 51 Member
    zorbaru wrote: »

uh ... no, it's not. http://dramyjohnson.com/2015/01/why-willpower-doesnt-work/

Still sounds like will power.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    "Nothing tastes as good as fit feels".

So not true, lol.

OP, you just have to find a sustainable diet for you. If you cut out what you like and kill yourself at the gym... it will just never work.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    At this point, I've developed some obesity-exacerbated health issues that will mess me up big time if I don't take the weight off. Basically, because I was carrying over 100 pounds of unnecessary weight, the veins in my legs collapsed (refluxed) from having to support it. My lymphatic system has been impacted (lymph edema). So, in plain speaking?

If I break the skin on my lower leg in any way, it is now extremely prone to infection. Sometimes a topical ointment like polysporin/neosporin does the trick, but if it doesn't, we're talking oral antibiotics. That first lymph edema flare-up meant water blisters on a badly swollen calf and seven courses of antibiotics plus about four months of daily visits from homecare nurses to change the dressings. (2 courses of antibiotic A, because the first dose seemed to be working but not enough. The second did nothing. They cultured the wound and prescribed antibiotic B, which did nothing. Neither did C. By the time they got the results back and realized that D would do the trick, it took three courses.)

A couple of months ago, my treadmill tried to kill me. It accelerated from 3.0 to 5.3 as I was stepping onto the belt and I scraped a 1"x3" patch off my shin. Two courses of antibiotic A to fix that one.

And since this is now a risk for any cut/scrape/scratch on that leg, I might well develop a tolerance to certain antibiotics, which will give me more grief.

I'm wearing compression stockings to help the circulation, but bottom line? My condition can be managed, not cured. It could flare up again. And if losing weight will help reduce the likelihood? Let's just say I'm pretty motivated right now.