Weight loss help im 5"2. I weigh 190

Options
My goal is 145 or 150. Ny provlem is after work at nigtg i binge eat...
Ill eat good helathy food. And good portions all day. Then at night i mess up

Im trying to do 1200 calorie diet. I do goood all day then mess up at night. I belive if i coupd stick to ut i would loose weight.. Any tips

Replies

• missmagnoliablossom
    missmagnoliablossom Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    How many calories does MFP tell you to eat at your selected rate of loss?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Are you active?
    Are you exercising?

1200 is probably to large of a cut for you and is why you end up binge eating at night. I'm slightly taller than you and have never had to drop to 1200 calories day. Why? Because I'm active. I am around 133 lbs trend weight right now and averaging 1 lb per week loss (libra) on 1880 cals a day. I'm 5'4.5" so I'm about average height. I would definitely binge if I tried eating 1200 a day.
  • azf0019
    azf0019 Posts: 8 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Oh my goodness, this is exactly my problem, as well. I'm 5'2 as well, and ~175.

For the past couple of days, I've been testing out a new method--logging my calories for the day before I even put anything in my mouth for that day. So far, it's really helping me remain accountable for what I eat. I log my calories up to the 1200 maximum, so I know there's no wiggle room for me to have anything other than what I've already logged.

That being said, I don't log my fruit calories, and I eat 2 small apples each day. For my last snack of the day before I go home, I eat about 24 raw almonds and my second apple. This keeps me satiated (still hungry, but tolerable) until after I've worked out and it's time to cook dinner.

Also, for dinner, instead of eating something with a ton of carbs, eat a lean protein and a TON of veggies with water to drink. The veggies are filling but low in calories and high in nutrients. Hopefully, this will keep you full until the morning.

TL;DR: log your daily calories BEFORE you eat--not as you go.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I was not losing consistently at 1200, or less. I have now bumped my calories up to 1300 on days I don't do a workout, and a bit more, 100 to 250 more, on days I do workout. I find that I no longer have the "munchies" at night and Im losing from 2 to 5 lbs each week consistently.
    It does seem counterproductive to tell people that they actually need to EAT MORE to lose more, but sometimes that is the case. I eat quite cleanly so it is actually a lot of food and sometimes a struggle to get it all in as a result.
    What you are experiencing in the evening is fatigue from too low of calories so it makes you binge in the evening. Bump those calories up by 100 to 200 per day and you will feel much better and have better energy throughout the day as well.
    Im down 22 lbs since mid January only by following this, and at least 1 day per week I eat up to my maintenance calories as well. Part of the "trick" is to shake it up, don't do the exact same thing all the time as our bodies grow accustom to it quickly. Eat a variety and shake up your daily calories a day or two per week. As long as you eat even a bit under maintenance you will lose and enjoy yourself along the journey as well.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    You say you are eating good healthy food during the day but are you over restricting? Did you stop eating your favorite foods? I'm 4' 11" and I couldn't stay at 1200 calories a day I had to increase it to 1350. Good luck
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and around 200 lbs. This is my second try after my first failed at 1200 plus 6 days of exercising. I never ate back my calories and tried to minimize the daily amount. I have to tell you that it failed after 3 months, and I gained 30 pounds in a year after losing 20 in 2 months give or take. 1200 is hard, you're always hungry, and it's hard to get enough protein in your caloric amount to stay full, and if you're not getting enough sleep, it's even more munchies.

2nd round, 1310 is recommended, plus 5ish days of excercise. I eat 1400-1500 with exercise, room for meals around 300+, drink 100+ is of water, and I'm much much happier. I have no end date, my goal is 130 and take it from there, and I picked up healthy cookbooks to help meal prep and plan. 1 to 1.5 pounds per week is a lot easier to maintain when you're so short and have a limited amount of calories.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Eat more food reduce your rate of loss from 2 pounds to 0.5- 1 pound you'll be able to eat more, and not feel the need to binge. People binge when they over-restrict or restrict themselves, or just starve themselves for a long period of time.

I'm the same height as you, and I started out 2 pounds less than you. I've been able to lose 32 pounds, and I'm now 155 pounds. I'm not restricting myself with a 1200 because I know I'll be hungry afterwords. I also didn't have a ton of weight to lose so my rate of loss was a lot less. I work out every day even if it's a 30 minute walk for cardio. I also added strength training to my routine as well.

Eat more to nourish your body :) good luck!
  • packetpusher51870
    packetpusher51870 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do 1250/day, and have been doing so for about 3 months, and have lost 26lbs. The main tricks I use to keep myself for binge eating at night:
    1. I don't keep any junk in the house (I live alone, but this would be tough for someone who doesn't). The only 'snack' items I keep around are string cheese and Dole Dippers (which I highly recommend as replacement for a traditional dessert). Everything else in my fridge/pantry needs some prep, which is a good way to stop binge eating.
    2. I plan all my meals ahead of time, and put them into MFP at the start of the day. This way I know how much wiggle room I have for small snacks, if any.
    3. I have a set time everyday (8PM) after which I won't eat anything, instead I drink decaf coffee (usually black) so I feel like I'm snacking, but I'm not really taking in much/any calories.
    4. I start a small chore around 8PM (dishes, laundry, general pickup) so that I'm distracted at that time and not thinking about food.

A couple of other general tips from someone who is the same height (although I'm a bit heavier):
    1. I only weigh myself once a week to keep from getting discouraged. I weigh myself every Sunday before dinner.
    2. I tracked my weight loss cycles in the beginning, and acknowledge/anticipate them (something else I do to keep from getting discouraged). Eg, I tend to lose weight in an on-week/off-week cycle. One week I'll lose no weight, and the next week I'll lose 4 lbs. This Sunday I expect to lose a pound or less, and knowing that keeps me from being discouraged by it.
    3. If, once you eradicate your binge eating, you still don't see much success after a few weeks, try Keto. If you have PCOS or insulin resistance I would recommend Keto either way. I do a 70:20:10 (Fat:Protein:Carbs) ratio, and the high fat content keeps me feeling full all day, and keeps my energy level even (which helps me to actually cook vs. eating junk food, as I'm not so tired when i get home).

Best of luck!
  • buffinlovin
    buffinlovin Posts: 100 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    5'2, weighing 205.5 lbs to date, started at 219.1 lbs on 1/19/17.

1200 is hard to do. I have that set as my goal, but I allow myself anywhere from 1200-1500 without feeling guilty. Some days are easier than others. I'm okay with slower weight loss because of it. My goal is to make my weight loss permanent, and if I want that to happen I can't deny myself some of the things I love.

Preparation is key. I meal prep all my lunches on sundays so I don't have to think about that. I also plan a weekly menu for dinners that are varied and tasty so I don't get bored. I also have a stash of dark chocolate that I indulge in at times, or I might make banana bread. I'm still experimenting with some desserts that fit in my calorie budget. I honestly don't think I would have lost anything if I didn't prep ahead-the convenience of already having food in my fridge makes it a lot easier.

Maybe try adjusting your timing of your meals? eat smaller portions earlier in the day and save most of your calories for dinner/night? I find that, sometimes, I'll skip breakfast without any issue because I want to have a higher calorie dinner. Some mornings I need my breakfast, and I adjust accordingly. I will never give up coffee lol!

EDIT: I also like to drink tea, or if calories allow, hot chocolate at night. Green tea is my go to (I bought the giant box of tea bags at sams, I think I have half a million tea bags to go LOL!). Since it's hot, I have to drink it slower, and the warmth is relaxing. I don't believe any of the weight loss myths associated with green tea, I just find it helps me curb my munchie needs.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    My suggestion- Don't keep stuff around that are easy to snack on at night. IE: No snack cakes; Keep things like lunch meat, etc in the freezer (instead of fridge) between meal prep,... It may just be habit/boredom eating - a lot of people are accustomed to curling up and snacking in front of the TV at night.
  • ashleywright_0
    ashleywright_0 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I workout in the evenings, it keeps me busy so I don't eat!
  • suzilla53
    suzilla53 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0,started at 191 last March, just reached my goal of 115. I did follow 1200-1250 cal a day.My suggestions, see what foods satisfy your, 1200 calories is tough but can be done.I eat poached fish a lot, egg, oatmeal. I make little soups with a ton of vegetables, a small sweet potato in it with a piece of fish.my standard bedtime snack is plain Greek yogurt with like 10 grams of peanut butter in it.You have to want it bad,but believe me it's so worth it,I can walk into any store and find clothes that fit me now.weigh and log everything. Pack a lunch when you go to town,many times I've sat in my car and ate my pre measured lunch.saves money.Try different foods, then try them again. You can retrain your taste buds.many people say, I hate vegetables, I hate fish..... Try them again.Start today, don't waste another day ,life is short,go for it!!!!
  • azf0019
    edited March 2017
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    azf0019 wrote: »

For the past couple of days, I've been testing out a new method--logging my calories for the day before I even put anything in my mouth for that day. So far, it's really helping me remain accountable for what I eat. I log my calories up to the 1200 maximum, so I know there's no wiggle room for me to have anything other than what I've already logged.

That being said, I don't log my fruit calories, and I eat 2 small apples each day. For my last snack of the day before I go home, I eat about 24 raw almonds and my second apple. This keeps me satiated (still hungry, but tolerable) until after I've worked out and it's time to cook dinner.

Also, for dinner, instead of eating something with a ton of carbs, eat a lean protein and a TON of veggies with water to drink. The veggies are filling but low in calories and high in nutrients. Hopefully, this will keep you full until the morning.

Curious why you would be so proactive as to pre-log your day, to help stay accountable, but then specifically omit logging two apples (and nuts too)? Why not log those as well, to improve accuracy?

I never said that I didn't log the nuts, just not the fruit. I don't really feel like I should have to stress out about eating a small amount of fruit. Also, my nutritionist said that she doesn't think logging fruit is necessary unless you're eating it in large quantities. She said that, if anything, you should track the nutrients from it, but not worry specifically about the calories.

Anyway, that's just me--and it seems to be working.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Curious why you would be so proactive as to pre-log your day, to help stay accountable, but then specifically omit logging two apples (and nuts too)? Why not log those as well, to improve accuracy?

I never said that I didn't log the nuts, just not the fruit. I don't really feel like I should have to stress out about eating a small amount of fruit. Also, my nutritionist said that she doesn't think logging fruit is necessary unless you're eating it in large quantities. She said that, if anything, you should track the nutrients from it, but not worry specifically about the calories.

Depending on the weight, two apples could be 200-250 calories. I personally wouldn't consider that insignificant, especially if I was trying to create a deficit. However, if it works for you then it really doesn't matter what I would do.

Logging something doesn't mean you're necessarily "stressing" about it, it's just creating an accurate picture of how much you're consuming.
  • azf0019
    Options

Depending on the weight, two apples could be 200-250 calories. I personally wouldn't consider that insignificant, especially if I was trying to create a deficit. However, if it works for you then it really doesn't matter what I would do.

Logging something doesn't mean you're necessarily "stressing" about it, it's just creating an accurate picture of how much you're consuming.

I understand. I was just telling the OP what I've been doing, and maybe it'll work for her if she decides to give it a try. I'm definitely not shoving my lifestyle or tracking habits down anyone's throat--just giving some insight into what's been working for me!
  • suaveprof
    suaveprof Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do 1250/day, and have been doing so for about 3 months, and have lost 26lbs. The main tricks I use to keep myself for binge eating at night:
    1. I don't keep any junk in the house (I live alone, but this would be tough for someone who doesn't). The only 'snack' items I keep around are string cheese and Dole Dippers (which I highly recommend as replacement for a traditional dessert). Everything else in my fridge/pantry needs some prep, which is a good way to stop binge eating.
    2. I plan all my meals ahead of time, and put them into MFP at the start of the day. This way I know how much wiggle room I have for small snacks, if any.
    3. I have a set time everyday (8PM) after which I won't eat anything, instead I drink decaf coffee (usually black) so I feel like I'm snacking, but I'm not really taking in much/any calories.
    4. I start a small chore around 8PM (dishes, laundry, general pickup) so that I'm distracted at that time and not thinking about food.

A couple of other general tips from someone who is the same height (although I'm a bit heavier):
    1. I only weigh myself once a week to keep from getting discouraged. I weigh myself every Sunday before dinner.
    2. I tracked my weight loss cycles in the beginning, and acknowledge/anticipate them (something else I do to keep from getting discouraged). Eg, I tend to lose weight in an on-week/off-week cycle. One week I'll lose no weight, and the next week I'll lose 4 lbs. This Sunday I expect to lose a pound or less, and knowing that keeps me from being discouraged by it.
    3. If, once you eradicate your binge eating, you still don't see much success after a few weeks, try Keto. If you have PCOS or insulin resistance I would recommend Keto either way. I do a 70:20:10 (Fat:Protein:Carbs) ratio, and the high fat content keeps me feeling full all day, and keeps my energy level even (which helps me to actually cook vs. eating junk food, as I'm not so tired when i get home).

Best of luck!

• suaveprof
    suaveprof Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How many calories does MFP tell you to eat at your selected rate of loss?

1200. I just. Eat at night and ruin it