Is this possible ?

I need realistic advise from those of you who have / are succeeding

Please please please some tips

I am struggling and it is really getting me down

Replies

• StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    It IS possible. What are your stats? Weight, height, etc.? That's the starting point you need to use to set your daily caloric goals. If for example you wanted to lose 1lb per week, you would simply need to eat 500 calories under your daily requirements. At that, you would lose 52lbs in one calendar year (52 weeks).

• msl333
    msl333 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am 87kg - 160 cm
  • msl333
    Options
    obese and 33 BMI
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I have lost 65 lbs since may 7th. It IS possible and you can do it! I cut out sugar and wheat for health reasons and it helped me loose the weight. I have also swam walked and hiked. when I started it was hard to walk for 5 minutes. friend me if you want some help and support.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    That is a little over a pound per week, very doable. As a matter of fact, I think it's a very good pace. All it takes it eating less than you burn. It is simple......it isn't always easy though. Research and find real world numbers, your BMR/TDEE and come up with a reasonable deficit. Reduce calories, but eat what you like. Over time you will start making decisions on whether or not a food choice fits your goals and you may decide it doesn't and make different choices. But in the beginning, if you don't have medical issues, don't cut or restrict any foods, just eat a little less of it. Exercise will make you feel better, but it isn't necessary for weight loss. Remember that weight fluctuates daily and you are looking for a trend over time, not a daily decline. Good luck!
  • suzilla53
    suzilla53 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Absolutely,I started 12 months and 2 weeks ago, I'm down 75 lbs. I'm only 5 foot tall.I weigh and measure, toe the line on my calories allotment.I do have rare binges, mostly at the holidays.Its so awesome,go for it, you can do it too!!!read the book the beck diet solution,it helped me.
  • vonmarks
    vonmarks Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Absolutely possible. I went from 195lbs(88kg) to 153(69) in 9 months. According to the online bmi that put me at just out of overweight into normal at 164(74). 39yrs old, 5'8"(172cm), male. During that time I ate a ton of food so you should get better results if you follow a good calorie count. The best thing I ever learned is very simple: you have to burn more calories than you take in. When I kill a carton of cookies I know the next day I will be riding my bike and hitting the weights for 2 hours to make up for it. When I went to lose the last 10lbs I just stayed within my calorie count and doubled my workload and lost it in about two weeks. I have since moved back up to 164 because I didn't feel good at 153 and I can still crush the "bad" foods while staying within the recommended calorie count(but still working out, Insanity by Shaun T worked for me). Good luck and stay at it. The people on here are very encouraging so when something isn't going right reach out and they will support or give advice!
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options

msl333 wrote: »
    I have 60lbs to lose and would like to do this in a year

Is this possible ?

Totally realistic based on your stats it should be no issue at all. The weight loss is not going to be linear. Some weeks you may lose more than other weeks. you may have a week where you don't lose any weight at all and you even gain weight. you have to see how your clothes fit that's going to be a bigger indicator of how you actually are progressing.

I need realistic advise from those of you who have / are succeeding

To put things in perspective I lost 80 pounds over 8 months which is a little more than 2 pounds a week. I've also maintained for approximately the last 8 months

Please please please some tips

Count your calories daily it's a matter of accurately logging.

You can eat whatever you don't deprive yourself of anything it's just a matter of educating yourself as far as what you eat and how it'll affect you

If you exercise you'll either loose faster or you'll be able to eat more calories. Exercise won't be your primary way of losing weight it'll have other great side benefits. The main way you lose weight is by eating less calories than your body Burns. One of the terms you'll see on the NFPA used all the time is cico which means calories in versus calories out.

I am struggling and it is really getting me down

Most importantly you have to find your own personal why. It has to be a totally selfish why. It can't be about your significant other it can't be about the kids it totally has to be about you. By it being totally about you it's what's going to carry you through the bad days or when you doubt yourself. Also by concentrating on yourself and your own personal why, all your other whys will take care of themselves. And most importantly you have to realize your worth it

• SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    You can even do that first several weeks at a loss of 2 pounds a week as it's easier to keep a deficit in the beginning, then transition to 1 pound a week, then when you're nearing you're goal and it's harder to lose weight you can slow down to a loss of .5 pounds a week.
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    You can do it. I've lost almost 30 pounds since January first, 15 of them since I started using MFP faithfully. If I can do it, anybody can. Make up your mind and go for it!
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Remember that your diet is 90% of the battle. Exercise builds strength and assists your body in building muscle which will help fuel your metabolism and burn more calories efficiently; however your diet will be the deciding factor in your success at the end of the day.
    I have a lot of old sports injuries that seem to crop up here and there so I have weeks where I can only walk and not do my gym workout. Since I am 100% committed and my diet is always spot on I still lose at least 2 lbs per week, if not a bit more. I eat a well balanced, very clean, diet.
    We are currently right around the same stats. I eat a minimum of 1300 calories on days I don't do a workout, maybe just a walk, and bump that up by 100-250 on days I do workout, the amount depends on the intensity.
    I typically eat 3 solid meals per day and always incorporate a protein, veg, and carb at each meal. Some days if im still hungry i have a cup of cucumber slices or snap peas in the afternoon but since I eat quite cleanly I find that it is a lot of food so rarely have the snack.
    I also save enough calories every day to have my one square of Lindt 70% dark chocolate after dinner. My husband has to get it for me as I don't want to see the whole chocolate bar, just my one square, ha ha.
    I don't feel deprived, If I want something then i make sure it fits into my calories that day, it may be a smaller portion tho.
    I have lost 22 lbs since Jan 15th by following this. I have written on my office calendar each week my anticipated weight if I lose 2 lbs per week. This takes me to the 3rd week of October. I do know that sometimes life will get in the way and I may not hit 2 lbs each week, but overall it has seemed to average just that over time as this week I AM the exact weight that I anticipated when I wrote out my calendar in January.
    Feel free to add or message me anytime as we are pretty much in the same boat right now, well except for I have a few years on you.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    It took me a little over a year to lose around 65 pounds. As you get closer to goal your weight loss will and should slow down. But yes it is doable. Good luck!
    ETA: I did it by counting calories.
  • msl333
    Options
    Thanks guys. Really appreciate all the great advice you have given me.

I'm gonna do it.