Not overweight, but want to lose 5 - 10lbs

Options
2»

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I am in same boat,
    Hers how I am doing it... I took out all carbs except veggies, limit fruits, increase fiber and protein, and make sure I get enough th fats during the day. The first few days I ate a lot of apples and then the cravings totally stopped and I use my calories for protein and veggies now. I have no blood sugar swings and so I truly eat only when I am hungry. I am so much healtheier and veggies taste amazing.
    I started about 3 weeks ago and have lost 3-4 pounds so far.

One does not need to lower carbs to lose weight. Weight loss comes from energy balance (CICO).
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I let myself go back to bad habits about 7 months ago and gained 10lbs. My wedding is coming up in May and I want to lose the extra weight to fit in my dress. I've been eating healthy, drinking lots of water, drinking protein shakes, and working out almost daily. I'm not seeing any results. I've lost 0 inches and 0 lbs.

I'm at a loss and want to just give up! Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to kick start this stubborn weight that won't budge??

Firstly congratulations! Been there, I reckon you can do this if you set to 1 pound a week and tighten up that logging and I mean even on a weekend no slacking get some digital scales, log every stolen chip and measure with a spoon measure every bit of dressing on your salad, spread on your butty and milk in your tea no eyeballing if you can help it, 10's probably ambitious but you might get 4-7 pounds off if you knuckle down. (also remember if you've increased your exercise recently you may have gained water weight for muscle repair which will eventually drop but is temporarily masking fat loss)

The protein might help you feel less hungry but CICO is the main aim. Also how are you estimating your exercise burns? If its MFP's calculations it might be crediting you too many cals, I'd half the exercise cals you eat back until you get a handle on what you are actually burning especially if you're not losing that could be the problem. 7 weeks is a bit of a funny one as it's a short period of time so try not to freak out about water weight fluctuations, also try not to fall into the trap of unsafe crash dieting either you need at least 1200 cals net if you want to look healthy for your big day (because you're short 1200 should be fine IMO)

Good luck *chucks confetti*
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I let myself go back to bad habits about 7 months ago and gained 10lbs. My wedding is coming up in May and I want to lose the extra weight to fit in my dress. I've been eating healthy, drinking lots of water, drinking protein shakes, and working out almost daily. I'm not seeing any results. I've lost 0 inches and 0 lbs.

I'm at a loss and want to just give up! Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to kick start this stubborn weight that won't budge??

You're not overweight and you want to lose 10 pounds before your wedding in May? Were you underweight before you gained ten pounds?

Bottom line: you won't lose 10 pounds by May, and if you do you will probably be too sick to attend your wedding.

Go to your wedding, have a great time, and don't worry about that ten pounds.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    I don't understand how adding caloric beverages (protein shakes) is supposed to help lose weight?

I usually do half a scoop, which is only 60 calories and in almond milk which is 20 calories, so it's not adding too much. Plus I make sure to log it.

A great example of weighing for accuracy is this "scoop." What you'd want to do is weigh that scoop - 14g would typically be 1/2 scoop as determined on the label, but read the brand you have.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    kenzienal wrote: »
    You could try intermittent fasting. 16:8 ?

Eat in a 8hr window bracket, and then fast for 16 hours. I have chosen to eat only between 12pm and 8pm. Basically just skipping breakfast and any mornings snacks.

Last week I lost 2 pounds just from skipping 4-5 meals in the entire week. Just wasnt hungry so I didnt eat.

So I have decided to try IF now regularly to knock these final 15lbs.

Fasting has nothing to do with weight loss, it's just a style of eating that is sustainable for some people.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    If you give up you're definitely not going to lose anything. You don't have to eat any special way except at a deficit. Make sure MFP is set to have you lose .5lb/week (it's frustrating but an appropriate deficit with only 10lb to lose), weigh your foods (for the protein shake liquids, measure them) because you want to be as accurate as possible.

This is a good point. I have it set to lose 1lb a week. Maybe if I lower to .5lbs I will start seeing a change!

No, this is not how weight loss works.
  • Charabz69
    Charabz69 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Have you taken your measurements? Reason I'm asking is that you mention you are working out every day, muscle does actually weigh more than fat, it's not a myth. CICO is by far the best policy, sounds like you are doing all the right things. Log EVERYTHING, keep doing what you are doing and enjoy these last few weeks of the build up, the Big Day itself is over in a heartbeat. Good Luck x
  • cardioxxbunnyxx
    cardioxxbunnyxx Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You sound just like me.. I am trying to loose just 5 pounds, (115 but I want to LOWER by bf % and get to 110 lbs.)
    May sound like you body is at a plateu? In order to lose those last few pounds, You have to create a deficent between cals consumed and cals burned. I'm at a loss since I've cut out pretty much all the complex carbs, sugar & bad fats.. My body doesn't want me to drop those last 5 pounds... So maybe that is what your body is doing.

As you stated, "I want to loose 5 to 10 pounds," There is a very big difference between 5 pounds and 10 pounds.
    Muscle also weighs more than fat, keep that in mind. Maybe your body can drop those last 5 pounds, but then 10 may be too drastic for you.

For a more informative answer to your question, I would need a better idea of you height and frame (bone size) structure, (small framed, medium or large.) That can help you get a more realistic weight for you, as all those things (height, frame) plays a big part in it as well.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Charabz69 wrote: »
    Have you taken your measurements? Reason I'm asking is that you mention you are working out every day, muscle does actually weigh more than fat, it's not a myth. CICO is by far the best policy, sounds like you are doing all the right things. Log EVERYTHING, keep doing what you are doing and enjoy these last few weeks of the build up, the Big Day itself is over in a heartbeat. Good Luck x

While muscle is more dense than fat, it's also very difficult to gain. Women, under optimal conditions, can gain about 1 lbs a month. And that is with a surplus and a solid progressive overload lifting program.
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options

Firstly congratulations! Been there, I reckon you can do this if you set to 1 pound a week and tighten up that logging and I mean even on a weekend no slacking get some digital scales, log every stolen chip and measure with a spoon measure every bit of dressing on your salad, spread on your butty and milk in your tea no eyeballing if you can help it, 10's probably ambitious but you might get 4-7 pounds off if you knuckle down. (also remember if you've increased your exercise recently you may have gained water weight for muscle repair which will eventually drop but is temporarily masking fat loss)

The protein might help you feel less hungry but CICO is the main aim. Also how are you estimating your exercise burns? If its MFP's calculations it might be crediting you too many cals, I'd half the exercise cals you eat back until you get a handle on what you are actually burning especially if you're not losing that could be the problem. 7 weeks is a bit of a funny one as it's a short period of time so try not to freak out about water weight fluctuations, also try not to fall into the trap of unsafe crash dieting either you need at least 1200 cals net if you want to look healthy for your big day (because you're short 1200 should be fine IMO)

Good luck *chucks confetti*

Thank you! hahaha
    I think I'm going to invest in a scale. I have an apple watch that I use to track burned calories during a workout and a Fitbit for calories I burn throughout the day. Who knows if they're accurate though. I'm going to avoid any and all crash diets, as I've seen people go through them and it isn't pretty.

I'll continue to log as strictly as possible and continue my workouts and see how it goes!
  • tinabell153
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

You're not overweight and you want to lose 10 pounds before your wedding in May? Were you underweight before you gained ten pounds?

Bottom line: you won't lose 10 pounds by May, and if you do you will probably be too sick to attend your wedding.

I'm 114lbs and I was 105lbs at 5'0" tall. Even a 1lb gain shows on me, so 9lbs has really made my waist, hips, and belly bigger. I'm not aiming for the full amount of weight loss by the wedding, I just need help jump starting the weight loss so I can lose a bit to be more comfortable in my dress.
  • tinabell153
    Options

Thank you! Yeah I measure, and no changes. I've been on MFP since 2012 and have lost several inches and lbs in the past, but I feel like I can't budge ever since I gained over the past few months. I think stress of wedding planning and lack of sleep are the culprits.
  • tinabell153
    Options
    You sound just like me.. I am trying to loose just 5 pounds, (115 but I want to LOWER by bf % and get to 110 lbs.)
    May sound like you body is at a plateu? In order to lose those last few pounds, You have to create a deficent between cals consumed and cals burned. I'm at a loss since I've cut out pretty much all the complex carbs, sugar & bad fats.. My body doesn't want me to drop those last 5 pounds... So maybe that is what your body is doing.

As you stated, "I want to loose 5 to 10 pounds," There is a very big difference between 5 pounds and 10 pounds.
    Muscle also weighs more than fat, keep that in mind. Maybe your body can drop those last 5 pounds, but then 10 may be too drastic for you.

For a more informative answer to your question, I would need a better idea of you height and frame (bone size) structure, (small framed, medium or large.) That can help you get a more realistic weight for you, as all those things (height, frame) plays a big part in it as well.

I'm 5'0" tall, 114lbs, small frame. I have wide hips, smaller waistline, small bust, and bigger thighs/butt. For about 4 years I was 105-108lbs maintaining, then I got this new job and let my good eating and exercise habits slip away. I'm going back to better habits, but not getting any smaller. Just staying at 114.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    What height are you because 114lbs is light imo ..
    But yeah I get it that for your wedding a few pounds off more might be more what you'd prefer...tighten your logging, aim for 0.5 lb a week. It's all about the calories in /out.

Congrats and best wishes btw :smile:
  • skinnycow1234567
    skinnycow1234567 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Ive noticed significant weight loss when i started monitoring everything i ate...Get a food scale aim for 1 lb a week,bump up the cardio.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Actually, muscle gain is intentional done under intentional circumstances, and it's very difficult for women to gain muscle.

Also, muscle does not literally weigh more than fat, it just takes up less space because it's more dense. In other words, if she were working toward muscle gain, the results would be a smaller body but about the same weight.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

I'm 114lbs and I was 105lbs at 5'0" tall. Even a 1lb gain shows on me, so 9lbs has really made my waist, hips, and belly bigger. I'm not aiming for the full amount of weight loss by the wedding, I just need help jump starting the weight loss so I can lose a bit to be more comfortable in my dress.

Oh my goodness, you are so tiny! :)

The only jump start I know of is to start eating at a calorie deficit and be patient. You need to set your goal to lose a half pound a week. At your size, you will not lose weight as quickly as you would like to.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Ive noticed significant weight loss when i started monitoring everything i ate...Get a food scale aim for 1 lb a week,bump up the cardio.

Trying to lose 1 pound per week under the OP's circumstances is too aggressive. :)
  • ferd_ttp5
    ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Maybe there's something wrong on your habbits, maybe you are eating at maintenance thats why you doesn't loss anything try to be more consistent on counting calories if you can't make it accurate. Have a weekly deficit! Thats the best thing to do!
  • vyhd
    vyhd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5' and have been trying to shed a 6 lb weight gain (100 to 106). I totally get it. When you're short and petite, even a 2 lb weight gain can show. I resisted logging my calorie intake and exercises but eventually started doing it. It's taken me five weeks to lose about 3 lb. Target daily calorie intake 1200, 45 mins exercise per day and 0.5 lb loss per week. However, I have usually managed to keep under 1200 cals per day (even though I could consume more from the exercise calories gained) and exercise about 1 hr per day. It's tough and I've loosened up a bit and have one day a week where I don't count calories (or go hog wild either). Congratulations and good luck.