20 lbs down!

Options
TMW2119
TMW2119 Posts: 178 Member
I started using MFP on Nov 16th and I've lost 20 lbs to date. My doctor told me my cholesterol was high and suggested "cardio and avoiding animal fats". I did some research, made some major life changes, and I've stuck with most of them over the last 3 months. I donated blood a couple of months ago and they tested my cholesterol. The numbers were already down some! Here is a look at how I'm living life:

10 Changes I've Made:
1. No more Coke. I drink 10-12 cups of water each day now.
2. I prep 10 oatmeals at a time and they each have 7 ingredients on the list of foods known to help with cholesterol. I eat this almost every morning.
3. I created one rule for myself. I only eat something if it is "absolutely delicious". This goes for healthy and unhealthy foods. Instead of saying I can't have something, I evaluate how good it is going really going to be.
4. I've spent time discovering healthy alternatives to favorite recipes.
5. Tracking calories (obviously).
6. I run now and have a strength training workout I do in my living room.
7. I keep a constant supply of prepped meals in the fridge so I don't get lazy and suggest we eat out.
8. I use less salt and buy low sodium canned goods.
9. I've increased fresh fruits and vegetables.
10. I eat black beans almost every day. Black bean soup, black bean dip, black beans in my salad, black beans in a bowl mixed with corn, black beans, black beans, black beans.

10 Changes I've seen:
1. I can meal prep for hours without experiencing back or leg pain. Before, I was miserable after 20 minues.
2. The seat on my bicycle no longer squeeks.
3. I'm less irritable
4. My skin has cleared up and it is also softer.
5. When we eat out, we find that foods we used to love don't taste as good. They are too salty, too sweet, or too bland compared to what we cook.
6. I can run longer distances without stopping to walk and I can ride my bike farther.
7. No more heartburn and less stomach issues.
8. I notice things about my body that I didn't notice before. If I have too much salt, I can tell by my hands and feet at night. I can differentiate between hunger and thirst.
9. I don't get tired around 2-3 pm any more.
10. My pants are falling off of me.

I've learned so much from the MFP community over the last 3 months. I appreciate all of the posts! I go back for my official cholesterol test next month and I still want to lose more weight. 20 lbs off feels really good though!

Replies

• Shull_rachael
    Shull_rachael Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Great job! Love #3 I'll be glad when I have that much self control!
  • faithsimmons526
    faithsimmons526 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the weight loss and health gain!
  • madamso1
    madamso1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Nice work can't wait to get there
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    I love everything about this post! Well done you !! Thanks for the motivation too.
  • TMW2119
    Options
    Thanks for the support, everyone! :)
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic. Hope for us all :).
  • smkondy
    smkondy Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Wow-what progress!! Congrats!! Thanks for sharing :)
  • NannersBalletLegs
    NannersBalletLegs Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    This is so great. I have had issues with heartburn for the past few years, and I'm hoping that it will go away naturally with weight loss. I don't want to take antacids or PPIs for the rest of my life. Your post gives me hope! Thank you for sharing...and congrats on your loss! :smile:
  • wanderingartistry
    Options
    Awesome job!
  • TMW2119
    Options
    This is so great. I have had issues with heartburn for the past few years, and I'm hoping that it will go away naturally with weight loss. I don't want to take antacids or PPIs for the rest of my life. Your post gives me hope! Thank you for sharing...and congrats on your loss! :smile:

Thank you! Heartburn was a fairly new issue for me. I just want to clarify that it wasn't something I always struggled with. 6 months was long enough though. I hope you see improvements.
  • TMW2119
    Options
    Update: 6 more lbs lost. 6 more changes:

1. I had my cholesterol tested again. My LDL is down to 131. The doctor said I don't have to take medication if I keep it here or lower. Happiness!

2. I can workout for 45 minutes on most days without getting fatigued. When I first started it was hard to get in more than 20 minutes.

3. I can ride my bike without stopping to rest on the hills.

4. I realized recently that my headaches have gone away. I used to get them at least once a week. I've probably had 4 headaches in the last 4 months.

5. When I feel anxious/stressed, I automatically want to run. Running one mile changes my entire demeanor.

6. I don't crave the things I craved before. I don't know when I stopped wanting bread, cheese, and brownies. I eat these things in moderation now, but I don't feel like I "have to have it". Now I crave zoodles.
  • TheRambler
    TheRambler Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    this is fantastic.. great job!! I love hearing about the results!!!
  • TMW2119
    Options
    Thank you!
  • TheRambler
    TheRambler Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I have my annual physical end of April.. I'm hoping to have similar results. It's a great target goal!!
  • TMW2119
    Options
    TheRambler wrote: »
    I have my annual physical end of April.. I'm hoping to have similar results. It's a great target goal!!

Best of luck to you! I hope your hard work pays off.
  • hazyupsydaisy
    hazyupsydaisy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Great job, and I love the lists in your first post! I gave up Coke last July. I couldn't believe how angry and tired I felt the first 2-3 days without it. I realize, now, it was my body going through withdrawal from all the sugar. I lost 30 between July and December 2016, but have gained back about 15 b/c of winter eating and lack of exercise. I'm trying to get motivated for summer!
  • wdh4309
    wdh4309 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congratulations
  • TMW2119
    Options
    Great job, and I love the lists in your first post! I gave up Coke last July. I couldn't believe how angry and tired I felt the first 2-3 days without it. I realize, now, it was my body going through withdrawal from all the sugar. I lost 30 between July and December 2016, but have gained back about 15 b/c of winter eating and lack of exercise. I'm trying to get motivated for summer!

Thanks! Congrats on putting the soda down! I feel so much better without it. Good luck with your goal!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!