Eating less

Options
Ive been tracking my calories and my daily intake usually consists of about 500-600 calories. I know that it isnt enough but im seeing the results and might wana stick to it for quite sometime. Over a period of 2 months, ive lost 6 kgs and wana shed off another 6. I dont work out and im not that active so is it okay in that sense to be this calorie restricted?

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    no.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    nope
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    no! the MINIMUM recommended daily calorie intake for a female is 1200cal, unless you are working with a doctor/dietician and have specific needs
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    No, 600 calories isn't "okay." By doing this you could injure your internal organs to the point that they can't repair themselves or even to the point that you die.
  • abi111
    abi111 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    if you have only lost 6kg over 2 months I doubt you are really only eating 500 - 600 calories a day. how are you measuring your intake?
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Eat more and speak with your doctor about this.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Ive been tracking my calories and my daily intake usually consists of about 500-600 calories. I know that it isnt enough but im seeing the results and might wana stick to it for quite sometime. Over a period of 2 months, ive lost 6 kgs and wana shed off another 6. I dont work out and im not that active so is it okay in that sense to be this calorie restricted?

No, it is not okay.
    The minimum recommended calories for women is 1200 so you do not become malnourished and damage your body.
    A 500-600 calorie diet is not appropriate or safe unless doctor supervised.

If you are less than 20 lbs overweight set your goal for .5 lb a week. Lose weight in a healthy way.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    OP, I see in your post that you are only 18 years old. It's easy to be in a hurry at that age, and to think you're too young to have anything bad happen by doing this. You would be incorrect. Please, don't crash diet. 600 isn't even close to enough and you won't be doing your body any favors. Slow down and figure out what your goals are.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    STOP eating 600 cals, eat twice that AT LEAST. You will be doing your body untold harm in the long run if you don't start feeding your body the nutrition it needs.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    No, you're starving yourself. It doesn't matter how unactive you are, you're starving yourself. stop it.
  • pinchhitter2016
    pinchhitter2016 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    So if i start taking the right amount of calories what are the odds of me gaining back all of that lost weight?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    So if i start taking the right amount of calories what are the odds of me gaining back all of that lost weight?

much less if you lose it slowly over time. The key about losing weight is nourishing the body with the right vitamins, minerals, and essential fats / amino acids you need to maintain good health WHILE eating enough calories to lose body fat.

when your calories are too low your body will start using muscle tissue at higher rates to ensure it receives enough amino acids. Seems counterproductive, right? You want to lose body fat, not muscle (which keeps your metabolism high).

A calorie deficit of about 15% less than you need should allow you to eat enough protein, fats, vitamins, and minerals to maintain good health and optimize the burning of body fat.
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options

If you eat the right amount of calories to lose at a safe pace, you won't gain any of the weight back. You'd only gain it back if you ate over your maintenance calories. So relax, work out how many calories you should be eating, and eat them. :smile:
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    No it's not okay the minimum for a women is 1200 calories input your goal into MFP and try to loss 1 pound at first and see how things go.

Right now what you're doing is losing weight too fast not sure if you know this but rapid weight loss has also been attributed to stretch marks and loose skin, so if you're not trying to look that great when you're done continue with this trend.

Eat more calories restricting yourself this much is going to put you at risk for a slew of medical issues. Also you're probably loosing muscle which is what keeps the skin more tight reason I mentioned loose skin.
    Once you have loose skin it could take up to 2 years to see if it will get better, and some people opt for surgery as well which may or may not have you looking pretty at the end either.
    What you're doing is not sustainable weight loss plan and you could end up gaining back but twicefold as well.
  • LucasWilland
    LucasWilland Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I would opt on the side of eating more and moving more. You want to keep calories as high as possible while still losing fat. This will save you a lot of the metabolic adaptation, not damage that comes with being in a calorie deficit. Also, how long have you been dieting? It might be time to take a diet break.
  • LucasWilland
    Options
    I would like to say that though there is nothing wrong with talking about maintenance calories, maintenance calories are always a moving target.

Although it might sound like a major pain in the rear end, I would take a log of how many calories you are consuming for about a month or so. For now, don't worry about weight loss. After you have tracked for a month, take the average, record your weight, waist measurements, hip measurements, etc. If your weight has been remaining fairly stable, then you have found your maintenance calorie intake.

Andy Morgan has a good article about this here:

https://rippedbody.com/finding-calorie-maintenance/
  • LucasWilland
    Options
    I would also add that you should do some form of resistance training, ideally at least 2-3 times a week while trying to lose fat, as the research shows that you are more likely to add on larger amounts of fat mass when you gain weight again than with it.
This discussion has been closed.