I started the 5:2 diet

Options
Yesterday I started the 5:2 diet. Tuesdays and Thursdays are going to be my fasting days. I'm going for 700-800 calories on my fasting days, with a cardio session after work. And 1600-1700 calories on my normal days with 2 gym workouts, a light one at lunch and a more vigorous one after work.

I have to do something, I haven't lost any weight in four weeks. I'm worried I'm never going to lose these 20 pounds.

Anyone else tried this type of diet? Anyone interested in trying it out as well? Send me a friend request. We can do this journey together!

Replies

• Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Haven't heard at it, I'm bad at fasting. My body likes food. :smiley: I'm somewhat jealous of those that can!

Regardless, keep an eye on your food and make sure it's being inputted correctly as even with a fast if you're over calories it won't help.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Pre plan & prep your low calorie days to help maintain adherance. Vegetables and lean protein sources are your friend those days.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    There are two 5:2 groups on here, worthwhile joining.
  • ggharrison308
    ggharrison308 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like the plan. Only other thing I would change would be your cardio time. Read up on Fasting Cardio and try to schedule your cardio in the morning before you eat each day. Your burn will be so much better.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I was just reading some comments in those group forums. Full of old posts of people "just starting". then they never posted again. Obviously this way of eating works for very few people. Hope it works for you, OP.

Or maybe it worked so well they didn't need to keep asking questions or seeking support?
    Who knows?

It is a remarkably simple protocol. It's also not required to calorie count except on the two fasting days. I know quite a few people IRL who use 5:2 that way.

My view is that it will suit some people, be awful for some people, some will learn something but not find it sustainable.

BTW - worked extremely well for me to lose weight but I only needed it for the period of my weight loss.
  • Punkprincess666
    Punkprincess666 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've lost 2 stone in a year doing the 5:2. Recently I've tried other means of losing my last stone but none have worked so back on it starting from tomorrow!.
    Can't wait to start again. Good luck :-).
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I was just reading some comments in those group forums. Full of old posts of people "just starting". then they never posted again. Obviously this way of eating works for very few people. Hope it works for you, OP.

Or maybe it worked so well they didn't need to keep asking questions or seeking support?
    Who knows?

It is a remarkably simple protocol. It's also not required to calorie count except on the two fasting days. I know quite a few people IRL who use 5:2 that way.

My view is that it will suit some people, be awful for some people, some will learn something but not find it sustainable.

BTW - worked extremely well for me to lose weight but I only needed it for the period of my weight loss.

I think many try add fasting on top of a daily calorie deficit, which seems like it would be hard to maintain on post fast days.

I'm saving it to try when I'm close to goal weight and working on maintenance habits.