What are some substitutes for certain foods

Options
I have a really hard time dieting because I only eat minumum items.

Replies

• TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    If you are that picky we will need to know what you will eat in order to give you substitutes
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Agreed, and perhaps a reasoning of why you don't eat them too
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    we kind of need to know the foods you want substitutes for in order to help you...
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Dust.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I sub quest bars for chocolate bars but occasionally I'll have a protein deficient but delicious Crunchie lol. Other than that I don't really substitute anything.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse classic ranch dressing
    Almond milk
    Low carb tortilla (they are lower calorie)
    Halo Top Ice Cream
    Flat out pizza crust

Not sure if this is what you are asking but here are lower calorie versions I switched to. Pretty much everything else I just eat less of:).
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Man...with the plethora of information provided, I'm not even sure where to start...

Go out on a limb and suggest 'food'?

That's funny
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason that you can't eat certain foods there is no reason to sub them out if you like them. I'm a firm believer of not cutting out any food groups. Everything in moderation and don't exceed your calorie goal. Or do you want healthier suggestions like Greek yogurt for sour cream or cauliflower pizza crust for the real thing.
  • hellenamoon123
    hellenamoon123 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with what someone else said about not cutting out food groups. Just moderation is key. However if I don't feel like eating the extra carbs I'll make Zucchini noodles for regular pasta. Or I'll eat dates for something sweet instead of like a piece of cake or something else.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Well, without specific examples you will not get a specific substitute.

Eat foods that you like in amounts that fit your calorie goal.
    Reduce portion sizes. Use lower fat versions of products if you like. Get grilled or baked meats instead of fried or breaded items. Use less high calorie condiments, sauces or dressings. Look at labels and nutritional information.Most vegetables are low calorie. Put more on your plate.

Some things that get mentioned:
    rice- cauliflower rice
    pasta- zucchini noodles
    sour cream- plain yogurt
    whole eggs- egg whites

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I don't use subs for weight-loss beyond using light coconut milk in place of full-fat. There's a jar of light mayo in the fridge, but I might get the full-fat when it runs out; I don't really use much of it to start with (1 tbsp at a time, max) and for the occasions when I do, a little more taste isn't terrible.

However, from a kosher perspective, when I'm cooking food from different cultures and I can't find kosher-certified versions in Toronto (and don't want to pay shipping for ordering online), there are two things I've had to substitute. I would like to point out that, never having tasted the product I'm subbing out, I have no idea whether it's a close match. I've liked the way the dishes turned out though.

Tamarind pulp: lime juice and brown sugar.
    Black bean sauce: hoisin sauce

Also, marjoram works if you can't find oregano. And while mint and basil taste nothing alike, they're in the same family and often, if you switch one out for the other, the dish will still taste good, just different.
  • TheRambler
    TheRambler Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tip on Flatout pizza.. I had no idea about it! Is it good, or just low-cal?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,876 Member
    Options
    Jbell126 wrote: »

Go to your local grocery stores and markets and have a really good look at the food you've got available.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    TheRambler wrote: »
    thanks for the tip on Flatout pizza.. I had no idea about it! Is it good, or just low-cal?

Yes it's good. Thin crust and 120 calories for the whole crust. I have a pizza stone so it gets crunchy:).
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

Your problem is that you're dieting.

Just eat what you want within your calorie limit.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    What are the certain foods?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

Your problem is that you're dieting.

Just eat what you want within your calorie limit.
    Dieting isn't the problem. Dieting is just eating less to lose weight. A restrictive diet or mindset can be a big problem.

What are the certain foods?
    And I was just going to ask what the minumum items were :o