Why can't I lose weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Deficit - eating less than you burn on daily basis (though balance through the week works too).
    Only way to burn fat.
    Too much deficit and wrong workouts - burn muscle too, not good.

Since you don't have an actual figure for how much you are eating - pretty simple solution.

Find 250 calories every day that you will no longer eat.

Life lesson there.
    You eat appropriate for your level of activity.
    Do more - eat more.
    Do less - eat less.

Eat less than those levels and lose weight.
    Eat more than those levels and gain weight.

• Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    nessa1979 wrote: »
    I have been exercising for a year now, 4 or 5 times a week for an hour a day. This is a boxing/cardio class and I love it. I know I lost inches within the first 3 or 4 months but the last 6 months my weight has not changed. My goal weight is 135. I weight myself everyday in the morning after I use the bathroom and before i eat or drink - no cloths. My weight goes from 141 to 144, change day to day..a little up, a little down but no consistency of going down..yesterday I was 141.2 and today I am 143.0????? Why cant I lost weight after a year of eating healthy and exercise daily????

Weighing everyday is not good. Weight can fluctuate due to water daily.

Depends. I like weighing every day (sometimes I forget - the horror!) to see the general trend. Yay graph! Some people get anxiety, frustrated, etc. over weighing every day, those are the people that should step away from the scale. :smiley: A friend of mine, whom I love to death but keeps vacillating on doing well then poorly, doesn't feel right unless she steps on the scale then gets frustrated.
  • heybales
    edited March 2017
    Options
    watch my calories meaning I try to keep below 1400 calories..I do not count calories because I found it hard to track especially when i make meals from home from health sites that I do not know the calorie amount too. I very rarely eat out...I drink a lot of coffee and not enough water..??
    My form has improvement for sure mid section and legs..i see the toning just no movement in weight...

You need to learn to use the recipe builder on MFP - I wouldn't trust their estimates of calories anyway.

Coffee is water, at least about 90% is retained as if drank as water anyway, so drink 32 oz worth, you can count 29.

Question on form is in the movements, not the result on the body. It is because everyone improves performance merely starting to workout.

If you fail to keep making improvement though, then either your workouts have reached maintenance level, or you aren't eating enough for body to recover well to improve.

Some people eat so little and don't allow enough rest from hard workouts - they just become mediocre wastes of time basically.
  • heybales
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I have been exercising for a year now, 4 or 5 times a week for an hour a day. This is a boxing/cardio class and I love it. I know I lost inches within the first 3 or 4 months but the last 6 months my weight has not changed. My goal weight is 135. I weight myself everyday in the morning after I use the bathroom and before i eat or drink - no cloths. My weight goes from 141 to 144, change day to day..a little up, a little down but no consistency of going down..yesterday I was 141.2 and today I am 143.0????? Why cant I lost weight after a year of eating healthy and exercise daily????

Weighing everyday is not good. Weight can fluctuate due to water daily.

Weighing everyday and thinking there is something meaningful to discern from it day to day is not useful.

But a 30 day trend can be useful, about minimal time from a bunch of noisy water-weight fluctuating weigh-ins.

Good or bad depends on if you can separate yourself from a mere number and view it as stats, or if it actually controls your decisions.
  • WorkoutResults21
    WorkoutResults21 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would recommend changing up your workout as well. It may be that your body is used to doing the same workout over and over and therefore nothing is changing. Hope this helps.
  • twistedingenue
    twistedingenue Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I gained weight after I became a gym rat, too! Went for a whole years 3x a week, and didn't see progress until I got serious about my diet at the beginning of the year. Invest in a kitchen scale and build those recipes. That's what's going to help the most.
  • nessa1979
    nessa1979 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I gained weight after I became a gym rat, too! Went for a whole years 3x a week, and didn't see progress until I got serious about my diet at the beginning of the year. Invest in a kitchen scale and build those recipes. That's what's going to help the most.

Thanks so much!!! I will take a look at my recipes along with fewer calories!