Weighing With Clothes v Without Clothes

Does weighing with clothes v without clothes make a difference on the weighing scale number!

Replies

• gemzgarcia90
    gemzgarcia90 Posts: 17 Member
    I trialed to see one day I weighed without clothes & next day with clothes & its a 0.5lbs - 1lbs diffrence.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,970 Member
    Yes. Some clothes weigh more than others. I've noticed that my tank top and panties (that I usually sleep in) don't make any difference on the scale. Jeans and a t-shirt would. If you have to weigh clothed (like at the gym), just wear the same thing (or very similar workout clothes) each time. That way even if your weight is a little more because of the clothes you will have a consistent trend.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Does weighing with clothes v without clothes make a difference on the weighing scale number!

Well, your clothes have weight right?
  • gemzgarcia90
    gemzgarcia90 Posts: 17 Member
    Yes, I should be more accurate with weighing with the same clothing.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Think jeans,sweater and shoes can easily weigh 5 lbs
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    With weighing I try to be as accurate as I can and repeat the same circumstances for consistency. I don't realy see the point in collecting data that isn't as accurate as possible.

One thing I have noticed that does make my scales misread is footwear - maybe the different pressure points that shoes of different heels makes but I learnt to always weigh bare foot.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member

Shoes are extras, not clothes, lol
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Here is the test. Weigh your clothes . You will be off by the weight of your clothes.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    I trialed to see one day I weighed without clothes & next day with clothes & its a 0.5lbs - 1lbs diffrence.

But day to day you might have that variation (or more) anyways. The best way to assess is to weigh yourself in your clothes, and then immediately strip naked and weigh again. I'm pretty sure that you'll find that your clothes had weight (that can range from 1 lb to as much as 6-7 (or more) depending on what you were wearing)!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I just weigh in my pj's. They are pretty similar and lightweight.
    The more you wear and the heavier the clothes are the more it will add to the scale reading.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member

Mine usually add 10 pounds.

OP, I think you're asking if it matters for tracking your weight loss. If that's what you're doing, just weigh wearing the same thing (or not wearing anything) each day. If you're trying to get an accurate body weight just once, weigh wearing nothing or wearing something very lightweight.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Yes but my local boots get really upset when i strip off to use thier scales

I wear the same bra, underwear and dress each week (i wash them each week dont worry)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

It would depend on the clothes...shorts and a t-shirt are going to weigh less than my jeans and a sweater...my workout shorts and shirt are going to weigh next to nothing...
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    edited March 2017
    I'm having deja vu.

Edit: I swear this question was asked a few months ago. But can't find it. Oh well.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member

Surely you understand that it completely depends on what sort of clothes you are wearing, right?
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    I recently gained 3.5 pounds one morning by taking a shower and getting dressed.

Yes, clothing affects your weight. How much depends on the type of clothing. Jeans, sweaters and shoes are typically heavy. Tank top and shorts might make no measurable difference.