What and how do I body recomp?

Options
So I'm already thin buy have belly fat I want to get rid of. Do I need to lose weight to get rid of or do I body recomp?

What and how do I do it? Can I not lose this belly fat through diet?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    miinanov wrote: »
    So I'm already thin buy have belly fat I want to get rid of. Do I need to lose weight to get rid of or do I body recomp?

What and how do I do it? Can I not lose this belly fat through diet?

Do you know your current body fat percent ?
  • EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/

Sounds like recomp might be a good fit for you! This thread is great.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    If your thin, still you got your do ab workout to shape and build your abs. Also cardio. 20-30mins few times a week. Start of couple times a week.
  • blackcomaro
    blackcomaro Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    kaizaku wrote: »
    If your thin, still you got your do ab workout to shape and build your abs. Also cardio. 20-30mins few times a week. Start of couple times a week.

Abbs are already there... just got to shed the pounds to see them
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Yes and no. Yes they are obviously there, but if the musculature isn't developed enough to push against the tendons, you can lose all the fat you want, but won't have a "six-pack" or whatever. See starving people in third word countries for plenty of examples.
  • blackcomaro
    blackcomaro Posts: 796 Member
    Options

Yes and no. Yes they are obviously there, but if the musculature isn't developed enough to push against the tendons, you can lose all the fat you want, but won't have a "six-pack" or whatever. See starving people in third word countries for plenty of examples.

Agreed.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    You're not thin if you have belly fat. If your stomach is an issue then eat in a calorie deficit until its gone. If it's not really an issue then eat at maintenance.

Whatever you do make sure you get sufficient protein and lift weights (ab exercises won't spot reduce fat).
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    I found this to be a very interesting and helpful article.

http://physiqonomics.com/body-recomposition/
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Yes, every one got abs underneath the fat, but you don't want those children looking abs look. Some are tiny. If you build abs you would see them even when your body percentage is not that low. And will look great. Abs should be worked on like you workout rest of your body. Diet plays a vital role too.

If just Shredding fat is the key, I guess all those abs videos, and trainers who do them don't know anything an are all a waste then. Seems like exercise is also a waste of time. Just shred the fat lol :neutral:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    You're not thin if you have belly fat. If your stomach is an issue then eat in a calorie deficit until its gone. If it's not really an issue then eat at maintenance.

Whatever you do make sure you get sufficient protein and lift weights (ab exercises won't spot reduce fat).

this, and it would be helpful to hear back from OP with some additional info ...
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options

Yes, every one got abs underneath the fat, but you don't want those children looking abs look. Some are tiny. If you build abs you would see them even when your body percentage is not that low. And will look great. Abs should be worked on like you workout rest of your body. Diet plays a vital role too.

If just Shredding fat is the key, I guess all those abs videos, and trainers who do them don't know anything an are all a waste then. Seems like exercise is also a waste of time. Just shred the fat lol :neutral:

Hey, my 6 year old has a full set of six pack abs without any work besides playing, lol.
  • miinanov
    miinanov Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 and 108 I have a bit of a belly and love handles
  • miinanov
    Options
    How do I know if I need to body recomp or diet to get rid of this little stubborn belly
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options

"Skinny-fat." I wouldn't lose weight where you're at but eat at maintenance or a hair above while challenging your muscles.
  • miinanov
    Options

"Skinny-fat." I wouldn't lose weight where you're at but eat at maintenance or a hair above while challenging your muscles.

So just lift weights?
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

So just lift weights?

Yup, focus on the big compound lifts. Squats, deadlifts and standing overhead presses will be good for your midsection. Learn to do them properly and rock it several times per week with progressive increases in weight/reps/sets or all of above :smile:

• miinanov
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Rusty740 wrote: »

So just lift weights?

Yup, focus on the big compound lifts. Squats, deadlifts and overhead presses will be good for your midsection.

What happens if I just try to do it through just my diet? Like if I lose 5 more pounds. Will my belly fat still be there? It's not too big but its noticeable
  • Rusty740
    Options
    How do I know if I need to body recomp or diet to get rid of this little stubborn belly

You don't really know until you try on of them, posters are leaning towards recomp because you're already pretty light for your height.
  • Rusty740
    Options
    Rusty740 wrote: »

So just lift weights?

Yup, focus on the big compound lifts. Squats, deadlifts and overhead presses will be good for your midsection.

What happens if I just try to do it through just my diet? Like if I lose 5 more pounds. Will my belly fat still be there? It's not too big but its noticeable

It could work, but there are two things going on, your abs pushing out and the fat between abs and skin. You can spot increase muscle, but you can't spot decrease fat. It's a tough call, but you'll feel pretty good lifting and it definitely won't hurt.

What I've been doing is lifting in a slight deficit, trying to keep the muscle and lose some fat and it's worked but the risk is losing muscle that you want to keep.