Trying to Lose Muscle

Options
I know this sounds backwards, however, my lower legs are the same size as my thighs and it is all muscle. I want to lose some muscle in my legs so my body looks more balanced. I'm a female. Any help is appreciated.

Replies

• janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    :o . Don't use your legs, that's the best way to lose muscle.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Picture??
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    If you loose muscle you're going to end up with some cottage cheese looking thighs and loose skin. Muscle is what keeps your skin tight you don't want to be loosing muscle. If you want more toned legs start a cardio and strength training regiment.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Your calf muscles are not the same size as your thighs. You have fat on your legs (no offence) - sticking to your deficit will help you lose fat and slim your legs, and you should do resistance training (including legs) to help maintain muscle.
  • lilmisfit1987
    lilmisfit1987 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. My calves are massive. My husband is jealous. Although I would never purposefully try to lose muscle. Just like there is no way to target lose fat there is no way to target lose muscle. Best to pump up the rest of them. ;)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    The chances are you don't carry as much muscle as you think. You'll be surprised how much fat you carry as Women typically store fat in their thighs.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I have very muscley calves and it has always annoyed me. When I started working out I was concerned my legs would get even bigger because I do a lot of leg based activities- walking, biking, dancing. To my surprise, when I pulled out my winter boots last December, I actually had to tighten all the buckles on the calves. I can't say for sure if there was more fat there than I realized and I lost it, or if the muscles have just toned up, but my calves are definitely way smaller. So there's hope
  • ferd_ttp5
    ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I got a not proportion body, I got a bigger toned thighs and knees it's because of my genetics and played sport by me table tennis causes more bending thats why my thighs and knees are bigger and my upper body was too small for my down part lol, I doesn't worry either because it is just symbolizing more athleticsm.
  • Mosiemens
    Mosiemens Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    vanmep wrote: »
    I have very muscley calves and it has always annoyed me. When I started working out I was concerned my legs would get even bigger because I do a lot of leg based activities- walking, biking, dancing. To my surprise, when I pulled out my winter boots last December, I actually had to tighten all the buckles on the calves. I can't say for sure if there was more fat there than I realized and I lost it, or if the muscles have just toned up, but my calves are definitely way smaller. So there's hope

People comment on the size of my calves... which drives me crazy. But apparently there is hope!
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    It is fat for sure. For me the calfs are one of the main areas I store my fat. It looks like muscle but it isn't. My mom even said I shouldn't train my calfs when she saw me doing it last year, because they will become bigger. That's not quite true. I figure that I can change my pear shape by losing quite a lot more fat (I'm at normal bmi but have a lot of fat and no muscle, look almost obese around my butt) and gaining muscle in my upper body (regardless of the overall weight). This way I'll be able to change my silhouette, I imagine. Only plans still, I haven't achieved it yet.

I'm 140lbs now (was 165 a year ago) and I hope that by next summer (2018) I'll be around 130lbs with more of them in my upper body.

Don't give up. Keep eating at a deficit and working out.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    It's all genetic. Where you carry fat is up to your ancestors. Blame them. :)

I have a friend who has large calfs, we are the same BMI but her legs are bigger and my upper body is bigger. Genetics.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    vanmep wrote: »

Since there is no such thing as "toning up" muscles in the sense you mean (there is a medical term "muscle tone," but it's not what you're talking about), we'll have to go with lost fat. You can build (grow) muscle, and you can lose muscle. That's it. You can't tone muscle, or get "longer" muscles (at least, not in a permanent sense -- just in the sense that tighten up when you contract them to move your skeleton), or change any other quality or characteristic of your muscles through exercise.