Weighing With Clothes v Without Clothes

Options
2»

Replies

• LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    For tracking your weight, the fewer factors that might add random variation, the better. I weigh in my panties after the morning pee stop.

It may be good to weigh yourself in clothes if you are going to do a weight-sensitive activity (tandem skydiving, some horse rental places, bungee jumping, may have weight limits).
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Does weighing with and without holding a 20 lb watermelon make a difference?

Answer: Of course it does.

OP, if you're interested in readings that are as accurate as possible, weigh yourself at the same time (in the morning after using the bathroom) and in the same clothes (pyjamas) or naked.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    So, from two recent threads we learn that you can weigh anytime of the day wearing anything you want and weighing first thing in the morning, naked or nearly naked, is a waste of time.

Huh.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Just annoys me cuz when I hit the doctors office its usually in the afternoon, I'm fully dressed(shoes too) so my weight is about 8 lbs higher and they write it on my chart
  • mhwitt74
    mhwitt74 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Jeans and shoes will make a huge difference. Weigh yourself first thing in the morning either nude or in the same type of clothing each time.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Does weighing with clothes v without clothes make a difference on the weighing scale number!

Of course it does. ;) Don't let that stop you from choosing one method (with OR without clothes) for weighing.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself naked after a good asparagus
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    I'm a big guy, and big clothes make a difference.

I weigh every day, in the morning, after my morning "business" on the way into the shower. Digital scale: I weigh 3 times, count to 20 each time (lets the digits settle), take the mode (most frequent number, whole number pounds only).

I know some folks advise less frequent weighing - once a week, for instance. I like more frequent waypoints, and don't fret the daily "bouncing around" of the numbers that may occur; I watch the trends. I figure if I'm MFP logging every day, I should check the results every day.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I reeeefuse to strip just to weigh myself, especially in winter! Having said that I sleep in lightweight stuff, boxers and tank top in summer, and light weight pj bottoms and tank top in winter. I did test it once and weighed naked v pj's and it made no difference on the scale.

Now obviously i wouldnt weigh in a winter coat, thermals and gumboots, but pj's is fine for me.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,984 Member
    Options
    So, from two recent threads we learn that you can weigh anytime of the day wearing anything you want and weighing first thing in the morning, naked or nearly naked, is a waste of time.

Huh.

I dont think weighing naked or nearly naked first thing in the morning is a waste of time - but I dont think it is the only way to do it either.

The main thing is whatever system you use, use it consistently.

Myself I weigh in a light weight nightie every Sunday evening.

Any changes to my weight will be seen doing that - or weighing first thing in morning or in gym clothes at the gym or in work clothes at work if you dont own a scale at home or whatever- just be reasonably consistent and weigh on the same scales on the same floor surface at approximately same time of day wearing approximately same clothing or no clothing.