Still don't feel like I belong in weights room but go in anyway :)

Options
As I train alone I always feel "out of place" lifting heavy weights in the weights room. A few weeks ago an older guy walking on treadmill said to his workout partner " that doesn't look right" I powered through the workout regardless. Why is it that women shouldn't get strong and progress? I will always remember that comment and I'll always continue doing what I'm doing despite how it looks. It's all about how YOU feel and if something feels good, go for it

Replies

• kenmiller75
    kenmiller75 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Never give up and don't let others tell you that you don't belong in the gym. Lift Heavy & Live Healthy!
  • Macrotracker34
    Macrotracker34 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Exactly kenmiller75 :)
  • creepy_unicorn
    creepy_unicorn Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    WHOAAA, he is as wrong as can be. I see women all the time on the weights floor strutting their stuff! That guy was a rarity as far as I'm concerned. Most guys in the free-weights section (despite looking Schwarzenegger esque) are actually puppy dogs. Everyone is there for a reason, and we all have to start somewhere. I know firsthand how intimidating it is at first to be a little woman in the macho man section, but I guarantee after a while when you see results you literally will not give a *kitten*. I'm proud that you ignored that arsewipe. Keep doing your own thing, it'll pay off! B)
  • Macrotracker34
    Options
    Arsewipe ha. Yes I think he was just an old fashioned kind of guy. Or maybe felt inadequate because he wasn't doing it? Either way yes I'll get there. I think cause I'm so petite, I always feel judged lol
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Sounds like he was an old fashioned guy. Don't let him discourage you! I feel the same when I go and do weight training and feel like people are judging. What keeps me going is the fact that my dad does weight training as well and always encourages me and makes me feel better and lets me know how proud he is of me when I lift heavier even if it's not a lot more than what I was doing before.

You got this! Well done for not giving into his comments.
  • cowgoo
    cowgoo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I think it's our own insecurities that makes us think people are judging us when in reality they are paying no attention and focusing on themselves. Take some music with you and maybe that will help. You won't hear anyone if they do say something and people with headphones in look unapproachable, so you'll have that going for you. Good luck!
  • Macrotracker34
    Options
    Yeah I'm shy as well as small so to some I don't belong there at all. But I do. It's actually boosting my confidence slowly the stronger I'm go. We all belong there. Thank you I'll definitely keep at it :)
  • Macrotracker34
    Options
    #stronger I'm getting
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Some people act like they invented the weight room and get cocky over nothing. The only reason the guy on the treadmill said, that's not right. It's coz he's useless and women are beating him. His ego probably kicked in :smile:
  • Macrotracker34
    Options
    Lol. Yes I think my effort lifting the barbell sting hid ego a bit:)
  • Macrotracker34
    Options
    #stung his
  • Monique_2
    Monique_2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    That's how I felt at first when I stepped into the gym/weight room, more guys and me and one other girl. But I just stepped on that treadmill, plugged in my earbuds and was in my zone. Nothing or no one holds me back, and my husband is right there on the treadmill next to me. Don't ever feel like you're not wanted there, because they have been there too
  • Macrotracker34
    Options
    Definitely. No body should put anyone else down. Should encourage each other
  • DannyYMi54321
    DannyYMi54321 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If you paid your membership you belong.
  • Macrotracker34
    Options
    Lol definitely. Hi no I was definitely doing it right but think I maybe looked uncomfortable. People are quick to judge a book by it's cover. I am shy but I'm one hell of a determined person. The better I get the less I'll look awkward going on. I'll get there :)
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Lol definitely. Hi no I was definitely doing it right but think I maybe looked uncomfortable. People are quick to judge a book by it's cover. I am shy but I'm one hell of a determined person. The better I get the less I'll look awkward going on. I'll get there :)

:). That's the way to do it!
  • fitbethlin
    fitbethlin Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    said to his workout partner " that doesn't look right"

I train alone when I lift heavy and prefer it that way. I do ask my husband to come out with me every once in a while (like every couple months) to watch my form. When I was getting really heavy with my lifts, I had him video record me once so I could see where I could help. He does the same thing by going to a gym where a bunch of competitive body-builders train once in a blue moon and asking a friend to give him pointers.

Personally, if I don't get a little outside feedback from someone I trust, it makes it easier to let comments like that from strangers worm their way into my head and make me wonder.
  • boopster99
    boopster99 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Of course you belong there. Walk in with your head held high, plug in some tunes to get into your zone and do what makes you feel good. I'm old enough to be mom to most of the boys in my gym and I can outlift a lot of them! It doesn't matter your age, your size, or gender - this is your life, play by your rules.
  • Macrotracker34
    Options
    Cheers everyone. I will celebrate my achievement of lifting heavier today with some yummy food and keep going for my goals. Screw negative people and negativity. Shy people can go for gains too :)