Too fat to EVER get pregnant?

Options

Replies

• Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Also; you may have to lose some weight on your own to convince your OB that your issue is not weight related, and have him get you checked out for other issues- although from what I've read, obesity can cause some infertility, so either way losing some weight over the next few months would show him that, 1- you don't need weight loss surgery, and 2- that it's not a weight issue causing interfility.. although if your weight is hindering it a bit, then you could possibly get pregnant, so it's a win win! If it were me, I would try losing some weight on my own, then find a new OBGyn because I wouldn't want the same arrogant one you have ;-)
  • KhadijahOwos
    KhadijahOwos Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have had a very similar situation when I visited my gyn recently. I left really upset because she told me that there was 0% that I could get pregnant due to my weight and the fact I have PCOS. I told her whilst I was there that my friend who is around the same weight/height as myself at the time, who also has PCOS, that she is 3 months pregnant. The gyn had no answer for that. She was adamant I'd never get pregnant. She said that I would need to try IVF and even then I would have loads of trouble. I left incredibly upset and (although I had already lost a stone (14lbs) in my journey, I was so upset I went home and started emotional eating for about a week (which damaged my weightloss) though afterwards I realised I shouldn't let what one stupid woman said affect me so much. She also gave me an absurd goal to lose 70lbs in 6 months, which isn't even healthy. I realised at that point she just had no clue about anything and I decided to let it in one ear and out the other. My plan is to get to a good healthy weight before I consider getting pregnant. I wouldn't consider it before I reach 230lbs, however ideally I'd like to reach my goal weight (170lbs). The plan is not to worry about it until I reach that weight and if I still can't get pregnant, seek help from someone more professional and knowledgeable.

Good luck to you and your husband. Focus on yourself, your health, and I'm sure the rest will follow! Don't stress yourself out about the fertility. It won't help you, it'll only hinder you. (And I know it's easier said than done...) but just try to enjoy your journey.
  • chichidachimp
    chichidachimp Posts: 109 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Hi, I'm so sorry that you had such a negative experience with your obgyn. As others have said, obesity does lower fertility. Fat cells produce androgens (precursors to testosterone) which disrupt a female's estrogen balance and can cause you to stop having periods. Obesity is one of the risk factors for PCOS, a medical condition which is characterized by fewer periods, hair growth, acne, decreased fertility and in the long term diabetes and heart disease. Your obgyn is responsible for screening you for these conditions!!

That said, many women who are overweight or obese do get pregnant, depending on their predisposition for fertility problems. It's best to maintain your weight during pregnancy as much as possible to reduce potential complications. Since you have shown you can lose weight through diet and exercise, I would stick to those methods before attempting more extreme interventions. Good luck to you and your family! Rooting for you!
  • WyattsMomKimberly
    WyattsMomKimberly Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY NOT! I was 320 pounds and my doctor told me I had a less then %5 chance of ever having a child. That the only way I would be able to have a child is if I had surgery or adopted or just got a bunch of pets (yes that was actually said to me). I set out to prove them wrong. This was in November of 2014. I lost a silly little 20 pounds and I got pregnant. Just because you are overweight that does not mean your doomed to be childless. I encourage you to get healthy and continue losing but please don't listen to the fraud of a doctor. I have PCOS as well. IT isn't impossible but it is harder. Don't give up!
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    This doctor doesn't respect you; dump him.

It is possible to get pregnant at any weight, so be careful if you want to wait. My 36-year-old overweight daughter was told she couldn't get pregnant, and now I have a grandson; wonderful surprise! She didn't gain any additional weight during pregnancy and he is a wonderfully healthy little guy. She ate very healthy during the pregnancy.

Try to get support from some wonderful organizations like overeaters anonymous or TOPS, or whatever is available to you for that in-person support and accountability.

You are going to do great as a mom!

• kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    You have time to lose weight, and have time to get pregnant. Start now, by October/November you will be more at reasonable weight.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I would continue to work on losing weight and getting healthy because but also do On my way! Investigation as to the psychological basis of your eating habit is to make sure you maintain the weight loss for the long haul...it will just get harder after having a baby.

First thing, find a new doctor. I've had to fire some asshat doctors before for similar judgmental behavior and crappy care (I actually had one assume I was a lesbian simply because my husband wasn't the primary insurance holder then proceed to lecture me on my nose ring and tattoos...WTF?) And here's a tip with the new doctor: tell them WHY you fired the last one and they will usually do their best to not repeat the same behavior. There is no reason why your doctor can't look into all possible reasons for infertility in addition to counseling you on how your weight might effect it. It's his job for christ's sake.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    Zipbsky wrote: »
    Get checked by a PCP, there are multiple conditions that can negatively affect fertility. But even if you had those conditions it's still possible to concieve. Keep working on your weight as you are. Dont worry about surgery unless and until your PCP tells you that your weight is so dangerous that you need it.

I would go the other way -- not from a gynecologist to a generalist (assuming PCP = primary care physician, who doesn't specialize in fertility issues and has pretty much no training in nutrition), but from a gynecologist to an MD or practice that specializes in fertility issues.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Being overweight to that degree can interfere with your menstrual cycle, but perhaps suggesting barbaric surgery was a bit much. In order to have a healthy pregnancy, you should work on your health. Hopefully, being back on MFP will help!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I don't intend for this to come out mean, but I kind of agree with the doctor. He could have said it in a different and more tactful way, but that doesn't mean the message he was trying to convey is wrong.

No one ever wants to admit that their weight may be the cause of a lot of their symptoms, and want the doctor to give them an answer other than it's their weight. The harsh reality is, sometimes that is the answer.

As someone who just had a baby, I agree with this post.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Well, she is here taking action about her weight, so clearly his approach is having a positive impact. One can be a good DR without coddling their patients, each must work to their skill set.

Fortunately you could take several years to really get started on your journey.
    ebaroldy wrote: »
    Theo166 wrote: »
    The doctor only had a few minutes to give you a reality check and shock you into turning your health around. If blunt gets the job done, I salute him.

You "salute" him? He is in no way helping her mentally or helping her understand what she can do to help her situation; he gave her an extremely dramatic hypothetical (400 and bedbound? That's a 100 pound weight gain, and the more you weigh initially the less your body packs on during pregnancy). He gave her a quick fix idea to get surgery, and quick hop back to him to add to his list of patients. He isn't caring about her as an individual!

This is what my OB did; she bluntly told me about my weight that it was a concern while I was pregnant, and told me I needed to keep working on my weight, because it is her job to have a healthy baby AND mommy. She told me if I started gaining more that she had a dietician for me if it came to that. She was strait and to the point, but not belittling.

HERE is where my OB differs from hers- after my pregnancy I went back for my yearly visit; it was humiliating to be at 280 AGAIN after she had just congratulated me and supported my weight loss just last year. I had mentioned that I was having more painful periods, and she said, well in my opinion it could be from the weight your carrying, but we can look into it. I told her I was going to start back up on working with my weight, and that I didn't want to wind up getting weight loss surgery like my mom, and she said- there is no magic pill or magic surgery, you can do this, and most importantly your kids want to have you around! See u next year!

She about died when she saw me year 2 and I was the lowest I'd ever been, she said- this, THIS is what makes my job worth while, if I can guide women to a happier and healthier lifestyle, then I've done my job.

It's about caring and trying to help the patient, with tough love and strait honest points, spending a few extra minutes to help diagnose, treat and help patients, not slip in snide comments and immediately refer you to surgery, surely that's convenient for him! But probably not the best for HER!