Survey for RUNNERS: Do you listen to music?

Options
I see more and more people listening to music as a distraction while running. I've run for a lot of years, and have never needed to listen to music. Having said that though, I do readily admit to having tried it on and off over the past few years, but actually find it more of a nuisance than blessing. But it's just a personal thing.

I have a theory on this topic. I think that if you formally "ran" as a youngster (early high school or younger), that you probably don't listen to music while running, and that if you became a "runner" as an adult, it's the opposite... almost a necessity (or crutch as I like to think of it).

So I'm putting it out there to you "RUNNERS".... do you listen to music while running? Do you NEED to listen to music to get through your run? And the big question.... At what age did you formally start "running"?

**** I'm mainly speaking of running outdoors, not on the Tmill. ****

Thanks for playing along everyone.

Replies

• cariandy
    cariandy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    No! at least not outside! It clears my mind and I LOVE the quiet!! But if I am at the gym, I will use my ipod from time to time because it is so boring!:wink:
  • cariandy
    Options
    Oh. I started running at age 23..never thought I could! But I was having such a hard time losing the baby weight after my first baby! So my hubby (who is a military guy..) taught me how to run! I shed the weight and I've loved it ever since!
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    No! at least not outside! It clears my mind and I LOVE the quiet!! But if I am at the gym, I will use my ipod from time to time because it is so boring!:wink:

I should've made a distinction between running indoors and outdoors. I wasn't even thinking about running on the dreadmill when I posted the topic. Thanks for pointing that out. :smile:
  • cariandy
    Options
    it sure is a DREDmill..but in New England it ends up being a necessity in the winter!! Blahhh!
  • garrettnicole92
    Options
    I started running my freshman year of high school, ran all the way through my senior year, and took a break my freshman year of college. Now I'm getting back into it, heading into my sophomore year of college. I listen to music when I run.

I definitely don't see it as a necessity, I know that I can go out and run the same distance in the same time without music as I can with it. Music doesn't effect how fit or in shape you are, so I can't really see how much of a "crutch" it is. Personally, I wind up zoning out so bad when I'm running I don't even notice the songs changing.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I see more and more people listening to music as a distraction while running. I've run for a lot of years, and have never needed to listen to music. Having said that though, I do readily admit to having tried it on and off over the past few years, but actually find it more of a nuisance than blessing. But it's just a personal thing.

I have a theory on this topic. I think that if you formally "ran" as a youngster (early high school or younger), that you probably don't listen to music while running, and that if you became a "runner" as an adult, it's the opposite... almost a necessity (or crutch as I like to think of it).

So I'm putting it out there to you "RUNNERS".... do you listen to music while running? Do you NEED to listen to music to get through your run? And the big question.... At what age did you formally start "running"?

**** I'm mainly speaking of running outdoors, not on the Tmill. ****

Thanks for playing along everyone.

I started running as an adult. 30ish?

If I run by myself, unless it is a trail run, I will be listening to something. I f I need to focus on my pace, I'll listen to a podcast so the beat of the music doesn't mess me up. ;) Trail runs are distracting enough without anything else. and if I'm running with another person, then I'll talk to that person and not listen to anything else.
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Never.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't now but I used to run every day (unless below 20 deg or lightning). If running alone I always listened to music. When my girls were younger they would usually come along on their bike or roller blades and then I'd just listen to then prattle on about school and their friends and not need music.

But your theory may be correct because I never ran until I was in my 30's, except the normal outside play as a young child, wich was much more than today (I grew up in 60's / 70's).
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I also think that "new" runners have the better...smaller mp3 players making listening to music while running easier. I use to not listen when I was younger, carrying a bulky walkman didn't appeal to me. But now I have a small ipod nano that I will listen to on runs. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. It depends. If I need the distraction from thinking too much then I'll listen but if I want to run to think then I won't listen. Make sense?
  • kobzal
    kobzal Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I started running 6 years or so ago at age 25. I used to listen to music. Then I got an ipod touch as a gift, but with no arm band. I was too lazy to buy one, so I just stopped listening to music on my runs. Now I prefer it that way. Plus I run a lot at night and I don't like not being able to hear what's going on around me.

I do agree, that on the rare occasion I use a treadmill, I have to have music. I would not get through a treadmill workout without it!
  • ampott02
    ampott02 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I started running in middle school and never used music when I ran until about my sophomore year of high school...now I have music most of the time, but really I have music playing all the time anyway at home..when I'm cooking, getting ready for work, doing school work, whatever...I always have music playing. So I think it's more that I just like to listen to music, rather than a need for a distraction when I run. But I could go with or without, some days I'll run without it and just listen to my feet hitting the pavement, which is nice and relaxing. :)
  • aarostoc
    aarostoc Posts: 22
    Options
    I was not much of a runner in High School, played soccer but was the starting goalie, so didn't need to run as much as everyone else. I jogged to get by (if that makes sense).

Now that I'm down 50 pounds (or close to it), I have taken up "trying" to run, as a way to increase my heart rate, as walking fast doesn't feel like work anymore. I'm trying to jog for time, not distance right now. I would rather jog 30 minutes at a slower speed, then to burn out after 15 minutes trying to run at a marathon pace, to keep my heart rate up.

I do listen to music when I'm running, especially something from Podrunner, as the 150-160 beats per minute tempo helps me focus in on my stride, so I'm not going to fast (or slow). I equate it to a pianist using a metronome. I can honestly say I haven't tried running without music - maybe I should give it a try and see what happens. I'm afraid that hearing my labored breathing may hinder my run, the music is a distraction from the "effort" sound I'm putting out. Again, just starting out with jogging, so it's very much a chore right now (although I like how I feel after a run!)
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I started running in March! Now have over 320 miles down... used to run for endurance while dancing hula when I was in my early 20's, now I'm 47. And yes!!! I do listen to music now. I run outside 98% of the time...I use it to keep a good pace - have a workout playlist on my ipod. If I had to, I could NOT use music... but prefer to have it.

L.
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options
    Yes, I listen to music when I run. I'm 38 now, have been running again for about...oh...4 months.

I went to college on a partial wrestling scholarship, so I obviously ran quite a bit in my younger (which seems like a former, 1989-1992) life. Listened to music then, too. Just instead of an MP3 player, I had to use cassettes/radio on a sony walkman. I actually had a portable CD player to listen to back then...but...well...those never worked very well, every step meant a skip.

I listen to music in my office when I'm working, in my car when I'm driving, in my bathroom when I'm showering, etc. It's no crutch (a description that I find kinda...well.. I dont understand it here), I just like listening to music.
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I started running 2 years ago, at age 39.

If I'm running alone, then yes, I use music. It's not so much a distraction, as it is something I love. It helps me just get into a 'zone' that I don't quite reach if running alone and w/out music. However, if for some reason I don't have my music (battery dies, broken headphones, etc), it won't stop me from running.

When I run with a partner, then we usually talk while running. Something that once upon a time, I NEVER thought I would be fit enough to manage! :)
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    YES! I listen to it through the speaker of my phone though...I stopped using head phones.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Running tune free since 2003!

I used to use an MP3 when I started out, but then it broke. I wondered how I would survive, but then I discovered two things:

1) I really enjoyed having one less "thing" to deal with
    2) I enjoyed hearing birds, dogs and cars (before they run me over)

Stay safe out there people. And ditch the music for your races (lots of nice people to talk to out on the course).
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    It really depends of my mood and where I'm running. If I'm running on the road, never. On a trail or path, sometimes. It just really depends of my mood. In January, I started back running after a 13 year hiatus. Back then, I "formally" started running around 25 and never listened to music while I ran. I rarely run on a dreadmill...it bores me to tears.
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Ive been running since high school (cross country). I use tunes or even watch tv (iPhone @ gym). If I don't have something, I go crazy. Batsh*t crazy. :)
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Never...I only run outdoors. :smile: