Too fat to EVER get pregnant?

Options

Replies

• nwilson5500
    nwilson5500 Posts: 3 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I just had a baby a year ago and was about 350. I had tried for 3 years but I thought it was due to the depo I use to be on. The doctor said it is harder to conceive while obese but not impossible. I downloaded a app called glow and tracked! Good luck it will happen Just be patient. I did get induced two weeks early because of my blood pressure. I'm now trying to lose because I need to for my health. Try go track and lose but keep trying to conceive!
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry your Dr. spoke in the way that he did, however your weight and the chance of having a healthy pregnancy at this weight are his area of expertise. Could he have put it better, yes. His brusqueness though has given you pause for thought.

You have lost weight before so you know it's possible. You are amongst MANY who need to log their intake long term, that isn't a flaw, it is just reality.

I do think though that you should be very honest with yourself about the way to move forward and start taking control of your eating and health.

Your ideas about "Self-control" and not being capable of teaching yourself this needs change as it IS most certainly something you can teach yourself, in fact it is totally your choice and responsibility to do so. No one else can do it for you.
  • reichardtjessica
    reichardtjessica Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I was 280 when i got pregnant with my 2nd daughter. I got pregnant within 2 months of not using birth control. I had NO issues what so ever. Please do not let that ignorant doctor make you feel bad. I'm not a doctor and can't speak for no one but myself but, I've seen plenty of larger women pregnant. Don't let that discourage you. Lots of plus size women have perfectly healthy pregnancies too. I carried my daughter until 41 weeks, labored for 13 hours, and vaginally delivered a very healthy almost 9lb baby :) don't be hard on yourself!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    PatriNina wrote: »
    My two cents: I'm shocked your doctor suggested bariatric surgery. I don't think the habits you had taught yourself were healthy, if you just started to neglect them. I think they may have been restrictive habits, that you were just waiting for an excuse to stop. Good thing you can lose and keep weight off just by eating a little less.

My habits were tightly connected to using MFP. I'm in the small % that will have to use calorie counting even years into maintenance at a certain weight, or I will gain it all back.
    I can eat 1500 kcal per day and not feel starved or restricted when I'm logging. But if I let that grip go, I won't hold myself accountable. Unfortunately self-control isn't among the habits I can teach myself :smiley:

Thanks for chiming in!

Don't you think that's a terribly defeatist sort of mentality to have toward your own behavior? How bleak and self-destructive to view yourself that way! Ever heard people say "well, with an attitude like that..."? Well, it's true! Stop telling yourself you can't. You CAN. Self control is not inherent in personalities, it's learned. Everyone learns it. And it's never too late to practice exercising it. I used to have horrible self-control, too, if you can believe it. If I can learn it, literally anybody can. <3
  • Christiee1993x
    Christiee1993x Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'd get a new gyne! Ugh. Sorry that's my input. Well out of order. Concentrate on eating well, clean if you like. It is possible to get pregnant. I'm pregnant now unplanned and over 200lb.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    OP..Yes you can get pregnant even if you are obese, its just probably not as healthy for you to do so. You say you have been down this road before so get back on. I am also one who will need to log what i eat everyday. I am much older than you but I am getting healthy again.
    Dump that doctor, that was rude and unprofessional, even though we sometimes need a "wake-up" call that was not tactful at all.
    Get back on MFP and keep logging your meals, stay in the mind set that when you become pregnant you will be a healthy active mom for your baby and your husband. It will happen and you will be in a better place for it. I wish you tons of luck in your journeys.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    Oh boy can I relate to “happy relationship” weight gain, lol.

Re the hair loss and fatigue - in addition to thyroid, were your iron levels checked? When my anemia is untreated I shed like crazy and have crippling fatigue.

I'd get a new doctor as his bedside manner is terrible, he ignored your request to see a dietitian, and doesn't sound like he did anything to address your concern about hair loss and fatigue.

However, do give him a mental thank you for getting you back on track to a healthier you.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I don't intend for this to come out mean, but I kind of agree with the doctor. He could have said it in a different and more tactful way, but that doesn't mean the message he was trying to convey is wrong.

No one ever wants to admit that their weight may be the cause of a lot of their symptoms, and want the doctor to give them an answer other than it's their weight. The harsh reality is, sometimes that is the answer.

As someone who just had a baby, I agree with this post.

I'm in agreement as well. I also think that @lorrpb had a good post upthread.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    1. Your doctor is a *kitten* *kitten*.
    2. Some fertility issues (like PCOS) can be exacerbated by being overweight. It doesn't mean you can never get pregnant. Your weight might not even be the primary factor but the act of losing it would sensitize your cells to insulin and that would move things in the right direction.
    3. Changing your diet while planning a pregnancy is a good idea anyway. Make sure your iron levels are good, your folate intake is adequate, and any blood pressure or blood sugar problems are well under control before pregnancy has a chance to strain those systems.
  • babyricus
    babyricus Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Step one: Find a new doctor! That guy is a total *kitten*. You don't deserve to leave an office in tears. Provides do need to provide tough love from time to time but you should also feel supported at the same time. (I'm a nurse and have seen providers practice both ways)
    Step two: start logging, if that what works for you keep doing it. I have found a group of people on MFP who are very supportive even when I slip. That is what I need since I don't have that in my off line life. My DH can eat whatever he wants and still be super thin but he is supportive of my efforts but lacks the understanding of the problems I have with food.

Keep going, don't let anyone stop you especially an *kitten* hat doctor.
  • nrbutton
    nrbutton Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    If you are having issues with your cycle and you are obese, then unfortunately your doctor is right. Though I don't agree with the harsh approach taken to inform you or his suggestion of surgery as your best course of action.

The success rate for fertility treatments is directly correlated to your body's ability to regulate the delicate balance of hormones needed to ovulate and nourish a baby. It's estimated 12% of women are rendered infertile based solely on weight (both underweight and overweight). Estrogen levels are regulated by fat cells.

Underweight women who have anovulatory cycles are primarily caused by the body's inability to maintain an adequate level of estrogen having a two fold effect. The low level of free estrogen not only hinders ovulation, but mimics menopause in its ability to halt monthly cycles altogether.

On the other side there is too much fat. As you can guess from the effects of too little fat equals too little estrogen, the opposite is true with too much. We have known for a few decades now that alot of estrogen can stop ovulation, hence birth control pills. What your body is essentially going through with your level of fat tissue is weight induced birth control. Fertility treatments would be an incredible waste of time, money, and heartache in your situation and there is a very good chance that at a healthy BMI (even a 10% decrease) could restore your fertility without having to involve a fertility doctor at all.

I am really sorry about the callousness of your doctor. Work on getting your body to a more healthy place to nurture your future child. Then if you are still having cycle irregularities, find a doctor with a much better bedside manner than that guy.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that the doctor treated you like that. I've gotten that treatment alot, but I took it and used it as motivation. Don't let it defeat you.
    I got pregnant easily at close to my highest weight (208 lbs). But I had a very complicated high-risk pregnancy. I was constantly in and out of the hospital, placed on hormones and bed rest so I wouldn't miscarry or go into premature labor, and then suffered a rare liver complication that could have resulted in stillbirth. And after my son was born a month early (but happy and healthy to this day thank God) I ended up going through cardiac evaluations. Imagine being seperated from your newborn because you needed overnight hospitalization. Yeah. Were these weight related? That was unknown to both me and my doctors at that time. But I do remember that at that weight they were telling me not to get pregnant until I lost weight. The point is the extra weight was an extra risk factor and a huge stressor that prevented me from enjoying one of the most beautiful experiences in my life. Not to say healthy weight women are guaranteed to have it easier, but if doing what you can will start you and your family off with an advantage, then do it! Find a good doctor who will support your goals, and focus on getting healthy.
  • Sweetiepiestef
    Sweetiepiestef Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Hi OP! 1) The way the doctor spoke to you makes him an *kitten*. He could have given you the same message but provided it in a more professional manner. Sorry that you had to listen to that jerk. 2) It sounds like you know what you need to do to get to where you need to be so I agree with the others on waiting to do surgery until absolutely necessary.

I just wanted to share with you that my little sister is also struggling with weight loss. She has been struggling with her weight since she was probably 14-15. I do not think she is quite 400 lbs but I might be wrong on that. She got pregnant and lost the first one right away. :( The 2nd time she got pregnant with my nephew Mason (absolutely adorable!) she ended up with high blood pressure and being stuck in the hospital around 17 weeks. She was told she would need to stay in the hospital on strict bed rest until she had him. She ended up having an emergency C-SECTION due to that blood pressure being in the stroke levels at 19 weeks. He was the size of my hand and had to stay in the NICU for about a month before being released which was hard on my sister and her husband. NOT being able to take him home with them was super hard :(

I also had a friend who was on high risk watch because of her weight when she was pregnant with both of her kids and almost died the 2nd time she got pregnant while they were doing an emergency c-section.

Point of the stories are that you want the best for you and your baby and I can tell you do from you posting this. So get back to doing what you need to do and KICK BUTT! You can do this! I will be rooting for you!

:) You will be a great mother I can tell! You already care and that is great.
  • Sweetiepiestef
    Sweetiepiestef Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    *lol at Asparagus for A - hole .
  • nrbutton
    nrbutton Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    *lol at Asparagus for A - hole .

So it's not all *kitten* lol. I had no idea they had different words. Makes me want to try out others to see what pops