Droping pounds WITHOUT the gym

Options
2»

Replies

• erinhale
    erinhale Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    lost all 83 pounds gym and dvd free. I did workouts at home using nothing but myself, free weights, adn little creativity! Good lcuk!
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Working on losing the weight gym free. Personally I think most of the weight fight is won or lost in the kitchen, the rest of the time keep moving! Most importantly, find something you LOVE to do and keep doing it. :)

TT

I think thats well said!.. If you Absolutely LOVE what you're doing, You'll keep doing it!
    I walk up and downhill, Swim laps and Ride Bike as often as I can, :happy:
  • stylelush646
    stylelush646 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    OK YOU DONT REALLY NEED THE GYM, BRING THE GYM TO YOUR HOME!

1. get resistance bands
    2. a yoga mat
    3. a fitness video of your choice
    4. eat healthy portioned meals

thats all you need. resistance bands so you can work on building the muscles to burn fat. i have those at home and i use them on my "rest" days so i can keep a habit going of working on my muscles and it seems to be working. Good luck! :)
  • brown_eyed_girl_06
    Options
    We bought an elliptical and weight sets but aside from that. The majority of my weight loss has been done in the kitchen. I am really watching what I eat, when and how much. We have added a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables to our diet.
  • missmcgirt
    missmcgirt Posts: 20
    Options
    I have lost 34 lbs. with NO exercise!!! I recently read somewhere that weight loss is 90% nutrition and 10% exercise.
    I am on Herbalife and myfitnesspal.. That's it! 2 yummy shakes a day, plenty of snacks, dinner, and a couple of supplements :}
    Not only have I lost weight but I feel AMAZING, energy through the roof! I think I'm actually at a point where I actually WANT to join a gym..... NEVER thought those words would come out of my mouth!!! :laugh:

(I am also an independent distributor of Herbalife and a walking testimonial btw, if you'd like more info let me know) :wink:
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have never set food in the gym. I agree with a previous poster that most weight loss occurs because of what you are eating and not necessarily how much you are working out.

I exercise 4-5 days a week, using either Wii Fit or 30 Day Shred. On days I don't do one of those things, I try to at least get in a small walk. The biggest change for me, and the one that I believe contributes the most to the lbs I've dropped, is the change in my diet.
  • sunyg
    sunyg Posts: 229
    Options
    I lost 30 before coming here and I was doing the Bob Harper Inside Out Method DVDs and his scheduled workout. They are the same price as the Jillian DVD's. Only downside is they are an hour.

I've just started doing the videos from bodyrocktv.com. They are free too.
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have lost 32 lbs and yesterday was my first day at the gym. I have done a few different workout videos and lots of swimming. I only got the gym membership for the weights... I don't want my kids getting into them at homw =))
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I walked a trail in a park and now I am doing C25K (adding intervals of running). I bought the Zumba tapes. Netflix and some online sites have exercise videos as well. There are books on strenght training for at home too.
  • michalita
    michalita Posts: 27
    Options
    I lost 25 pounds without joining a gym, and I don't plan on joining one! I do 3 days of cardio and 3 days of strength/circuit training each week. The cardio is usually running/walking and swimming; for strength, I do a Jackie Warner video or some bodyweight circuits. I'm hoping to start doing more biking, hiking, and maybe even rock-climbing in the future, too. The beauty of the running and the bodyweight strength is that you need very few accessories: a few weights, some shoes, maybe a chin-up bar.
  • Imbiutiful
    Imbiutiful Posts: 39
    Options
    Thanks you guys are amazing! :-}
  • sandijones5783
    sandijones5783 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 36lbs by just walking everyday and counting calories on here! Now I'm doing power 90 and I'm down 48.8lbs! I have never been to a gym and never plan too lol
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I agree with Rubybelle and Atlantique.

Rubybelle said you need to start with a good pair of shoes and sports bra.

I have the stuff that Atlantique mentioned, like a jump rope, and a pair of dumbbells. I do a lot of lifting with just a pair of 10lbs dumbbells, but you can get any amount of weight that you think is heavy for you. The jump rope, I can tell you, is a calorie killer. It uses a ton of energy in a short amount of time, so it is very effective for me so far.

I haven't lost a lot of weight yet, but I have only been at it for a few weeks. I can tell you that it doesn't take much equipment to get going. Just get going, and you'll be amazed at how much you can do.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I've lost 40lbs and have never seen the inside of a gym (and refuse to)
    I started out slowly with walking with my kids, walking on the treadmill& 30 DS
    then I moved into a few other Jillian Michaels videos (she's not my style)
    Moved from there on to ChaLEAN Extreme & C25K simultaneously
    I'm in my last week of 90 days of CLX & upon completion I will begin 10k training along with the prep schedule of Turbofire.
    From here on out, it will always be a mix and match of CLX, TF & running (all my faves)
  • LovingLife007
    Options
    I have a gym membership that my health insurance pays for. It is a "senior focused" gym and it is several miles from my home so I don't go often.

I prefer to walk (not in the middle of the day in the Texas heat though!). I just started MFP this week and have been using it with my iPhone. There are many pedometer apps for the phone and I would welcome any recommendations about which one to choose. Free is good, but I don't mind paying if there is a better one. This would be a good motivating and tracking tool for me. Thanks for your input and feel free to friend me. :smile:

Kathryn
  • MelissaJ20
    MelissaJ20 Posts: 46
    Options
    I did. I ran outside, bought free weights, and used workout videos (Billy Blanks/Jillian Michaels). :)
  • unicorn19girl
    unicorn19girl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Same as everyone else...I lost 110 without ever hitting the gym. I've done cycling, walking, and strength training as well as the 30 day shred. It's absolutely possible without joining a gym. Good Luck!!:smile: