Vivofit HR and extra calories (way extra calories, that I couldn't eat if I wanted to)

Options
I am 39 year old female 5"9 currently 150 lbs (down -9 in 8 weeks). I recently started using a Vivosmart HR to get a better handle on my calories burned. MFP has set me at 1,610 calories with logged exercise earning back a few hundred here or there. Since syncing with my Vivofit HR I have been earning calories like crazy. Today I walked 7,500 steps and did an hour of cardio with a daily total calorie burn of 3,768. MFP awarded me 1,259 extra calories, 608 calories for cardio and 651 for Garmin Connect calorie adjustment.

This seems like excessive calorie earnings, I typically eat 1,400 -1,500 max on an average day. I have an active job and my minimum calorie burn on a non workout day is 3,000. Has anyone else experienced such generous calorie gifts? Do I have a setting somewhere massively screwed up?

Replies

• itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I got a Fitbit Surge, which has a HR monitor. Every single day it overestimated my calories burned by 1000-1500, usually closer to 1500. For reference, I'm a 29 year old male at 5'7", and I have the data to show that my BMR is 1600 calories, and my TDEE is usually around 2100 given the exercise I do.

If I eat 1600 calories per day, I'll lose about a pound a week, which supports that TDEE. My Surge would say I burned 3100-3600 calories per day. It was absolute garbage data, but I got nowhere when attempting to talk to customer support. So, I had to abandon any tracker with HR and went with one that didn't. Now my numbers are what they should be.

I suggest you do what I do. Track your calories and your resulting weight over a period of 4-6 weeks (1-2 weeks is not enough data). Then, you can see if your tracker is giving you useful data or not. My guess is you're in the same boat as me and you shouldn't trust it.
  • lumenosis
    lumenosis Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Again today I did not work out and MFP is trying to give me 1,253 extra calories
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    lumenosis wrote: »
    Again today I did not work out and MFP is trying to give me 1,253 extra calories

Was this a working day? Can you give a general description of your "active job"? Are you on your feet all day? Are you set to sedentary on MFP?

I ask because I am on my feet a lot at work and typically get adjustments that would correspond to +1,000 calories/day over sedentary. Based on my weightloss, that's right for me. So, it might be right for you. But it might not. Hard to tell without more data.
  • lumenosis
    Options
    I am set to sedentary on MFP. I work in a greenhouse, I am on my feet all shift moving soil, transplanting, watering ect. My shifts are typically 5-6 hours of activity. As of right now my Vivosmart HR says I burned 3219 cals today.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I am 39 year old female 5"9 currently 150 lbs (down -9 in 8 weeks). I recently started using a Vivosmart HR to get a better handle on my calories burned. MFP has set me at 1,610 calories with logged exercise earning back a few hundred here or there. Since syncing with my Vivofit HR I have been earning calories like crazy. Today I walked 7,500 steps and did an hour of cardio with a daily total calorie burn of 3,768. MFP awarded me 1,259 extra calories, 608 calories for cardio and 651 for Garmin Connect calorie adjustment.

This seems like excessive calorie earnings, I typically eat 1,400 -1,500 max on an average day. I have an active job and my minimum calorie burn on a non workout day is 3,000. Has anyone else experienced such generous calorie gifts? Do I have a setting somewhere massively screwed up?

That's pretty outrageous. 7500 steps is likely about 4 miles/400 calories. Your hour of cardio could be anywhere from a couple hundred to maybe 600, depending on what you did, but I am guessing it's probably closer to 300-400. I have a Fitbit and I've never seen it send over adjustments until last Friday, and they've been pretty wacky. I think something is going on with the adjustment part of the site.
  • lumenosis
    Options
    My cardio and HIIT burn 450-600 cals depending on which one it is. My job does get my HR up a bit as it's physical but I agree seems outrageous.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I am set to sedentary on MFP. I work in a greenhouse, I am on my feet all shift moving soil, transplanting, watering ect. My shifts are typically 5-6 hours of activity. As of right now my Vivosmart HR says I burned 3219 cals today.

Are you under the impression that this could possibly be called sedentary?

Obviously not! So why are you set as sedentary?

Do you log your work as a manual MFP activity? If you do that, I would suggest that you should NOT, if you want to see what your VivoSmart actually detects as your activity related burn.

Your BMR estimate is 1420 http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

The physical activity multipliers for manual agricultural workers that I've seen range from 2.0 to 2.4x BMR. MFP's "very active" setting maximises at 1.8x

http://www.fao.org/docrep/007/y5686e/y5686e07.htm lists a vigorously active lifestyle that includes manual agricultural activities, before additional exercise, as a multiplier of 2.25.

In your case that would translate to a TDEE estimate of 3195 Calories. Before additional exercise.

Your VivoSmart results seem to be in line with standard predictions based on your type of work.

Whether your food intake logging, or individual physiology supports these results is a different story. I would suggest that until you try... you won't know!
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

How long have you been wearing the Vivosmart? Anything with a heartrate monitor will take a couple of weeks to get used to your routine and start giving decently accurate numbers for anyone who deviates from the "desk job with occasional workout" model.

On the surface, your numbers sound high. It really depends on how much weight you're hauling around; water is not light! 7,500 steps of walking would *not* burn as many calories as that. Would 7,500 steps of walking carrying soil and water? Hard to say.

I weigh about the same as you though I am shorter. To have a 3,200 calorie day, it has to have been a workout day for me. 20,000-25,000 steps will take me to about 2,800 calories. Make an hour of that high intensity and I'd hit 3,200 calories. My FitBit numbers are really accurate for me (based on my weightloss) and one thing that I can say is that while my daily calorie burn is generally higher on more-steps days, there's not a linear relationship. Intensity matters (as does extra non-step time on my feet) - so it does sometimes happen that I burn more on an 18,000 step day than a 22,000 step day, for example.

So, *maybe* if your hour of cardio was non-step based, your numbers *might* be reasonable. At the end of the day, you'll find out how much deficit you created by seeing how much weight you lose, but I can understand not wanting to wait a month to figure it out. And I remember being very cynical about my numbers.
  • LisaEatSleepRun
    LisaEatSleepRun Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Do you have MFP negative calorie adjustments checked under diary settings? This helped with my Vivosmart HR+ as it allows MFP to readjust calorie burn projections.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I got a Fitbit Surge, which has a HR monitor. Every single day it overestimated my calories burned by 1000-1500, usually closer to 1500. For reference, I'm a 29 year old male at 5'7", and I have the data to show that my BMR is 1600 calories, and my TDEE is usually around 2100 given the exercise I do.

If I eat 1600 calories per day, I'll lose about a pound a week, which supports that TDEE. My Surge would say I burned 3100-3600 calories per day. It was absolute garbage data, but I got nowhere when attempting to talk to customer support. So, I had to abandon any tracker with HR and went with one that didn't. Now my numbers are what they should be.

I suggest you do what I do. Track your calories and your resulting weight over a period of 4-6 weeks (1-2 weeks is not enough data). Then, you can see if your tracker is giving you useful data or not. My guess is you're in the same boat as me and you shouldn't trust it.

At the 10,000 steps a day you list on your profile you would qualify for the MFP "active" setting absent any additional exercise. This is a physical activity multiplier of 1.6x BMR. Before any exercise that comes on top of your walking around.

2100 Cal a day comes in at about 1.3x BMR which is BARELY above MFPs 1.25x BMR sedentary setting. MFP sedentary reflects an activity level of approximately 3500 steps.

Either you have a lower than expected BMR and lower than expected expenditure during your activities, or your food intake logging in off, or a combination of both.
  • lumenosis
    Options
    PAV I know I'm not sedentary, I didn't want MFP to allot me cals than I hadn't/wont be burned. I have only had the Vivosmart HR for a week so I don't trust it.

• lumenosis
    edited April 2017
    Options
    OK I just realized my original post was in delusional wishful thinking land I am 250 lbs not 150 but still 5'9 and 39.
  • PAV8888
    edited April 2017
    Options
    OK I just realized my original post was in delusional wishful thinking land I am 250 lbs not 150 but still 5'9 and 39.

So you've increased your BMR from 1420 to 1873. What do you think this will do to your estimated TDEE?

Your Vivosmart seems to be in line with a vigorously active lifestyle :smiley:

I've linked above to a Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations estimate of a vigorously active lifestyle which includes 6 hours of agricultural work.

You can see in Table 5.1 how they break down the day and try to predict the calories you will burn. A Fitbit does the same thing using detected movement in 5 minute increments. I am fairly sure that your Garmin does something similar.

Basically you are a big person who is particularly active and doing hard physical work.

The results from your Vivosmart do not seem to be particularly out of whack.

At a guess your weight problems do not start at the activity end of the spectrum! :smiley:
  • PAV8888
    Options
    sorry, edited a couple of things to clarify the hastily written posts :blush:
  • lumenosis
    Options
    Lol thank you PAV. I was eating really bad, any and everything that I wanted went into my face. It was a fast, binge situation daily. My weight problem is/was totally a food problem.
    Thank you for putting the Vivosmart into perspective, I'm so new to all this it just seemed crazy that MFP was telling me it was OK to eat 2,500 cals.
  • zelya202
    zelya202 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem with my Vivosmart. I found that it is two parts 1) if you don't wear it exactly at the end of the wrist, the HR it calculates is way to high and it gives you the active minutes 2) I've disconnected the watch from Garmin Connect. Completely reset it and then connected again. That did the trick, I used to get like 1000 calories for simple walking, now it is in 100-200 range.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    This is one of the reasons i avoided buying a HR tracker. . Too many inconsistencies.

I started off with the fitbit zip and have settled on the Alta.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Lol thank you PAV. I was eating really bad, any and everything that I wanted went into my face. It was a fast, binge situation daily. My weight problem is/was totally a food problem.
    Thank you for putting the Vivosmart into perspective, I'm so new to all this it just seemed crazy that MFP was telling me it was OK to eat 2,500 cals.

The combination of your size and activity level is such that 1000 Cal deficit (2lbs a week) if it is something that you can comply with, would not be excessive based on your "specs" :smiley:

if you set MFP to very active it will minimise the adjustment during the day.

If you do that and you go to bed early, you will "lose" an appreciable amount of calories from your adjustment between the time you go to bed and midnight. So leave ~200 Cal for that eventuality if you're concerned about that.

This assumes you have negative adjustments enabled... which you should to account for days you are less active.

Log what you eat and eat what you log taking care to chose entries that you double check. Start with green check-mark ones and don't be shy to compare to packages and the USDA nutrient database.

Measure your weight using a trending weight application such as Libra (android), Happy Scale (iphone), trendweight.com in conjunction with a supported scale or free fitbit.com account even without a device, or weightgrapher.com for manual entry (suggest you set them all as if your goal is to maintain so they don't annoy you with useless interpretations and suggestions)

Compare your actual and expected results over a period of 4-6 weeks that includes at least one monthly cycle for those so affected.

Have fun and choose items that help you meet your caloric goals while feeling relatively satisfied and satiated and able to keep making your choices long term...

Don't be shocked if your kitchen scale and your measuring cups don't quite agree!
  • lumenosis
    Options
    Thank you PAV, I weigh everything and read labels and then weigh everything again. I'm really honest with my diary and so far my results have been as expected however this was before Vivosmart was telling me I could eat more so we shall see.

I changed the MFP setting from sedentary and today without a workout it gave me 734 instead of 1,200.

So far I have had no trouble staying under my calories what I do go over is protein and fiber by a couple grams fairly regularly. I'm going to start using less than a full scoop of powder in my morning smoothie.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Thank you PAV, I weigh everything and read labels and then weigh everything again. I'm really honest with my diary and so far my results have been as expected however this was before Vivosmart was telling me I could eat more so we shall see.

I changed the MFP setting from sedentary and today without a workout it gave me 734 instead of 1,200.

So far I have had no trouble staying under my calories what I do go over is protein and fiber by a couple grams fairly regularly. I'm going to start using less than a full scoop of powder in my morning smoothie.

Depending on how long you've been on a deficit, depending on whether your BMR is at the expected mean value or is an outlier, the estimates are just that... estimates. Reality is decided by your actual results. Trending weight apps are useful because they help you see the results with a bit more clarity through normal water weight variations, but the reality is that nothing is perfect: there is a degree of uncertainty with all these figures! They're still good enough for us to be able to achieve results :smile:

Many people on MFP, myself included, view protein and fiber as minimum, not maximum goals.

You may want to evaluate for yourself whether something like the following might be appropriate for you as "good" targets... without forgetting that just controlling your calories is all that you need to do in order to achieve weight loss and improved health.

~25% deficit off TDEE while still obese, tapering as you enter the overweight category.
    ~30g or more of fiber a day (usual recommendations for females are at least 25g and for males 38g of fiber)
    ~0.8g to 1g of protein per lb of lean mass. This gets interesting as it is about double the RDA for protein (in order to provide protection to lean mass in a caloric deficit) and it is based on grams per lb of lean mass which is, obviously, hard to determine! As such, at least when I was doing this for myself, I looked at my "target" weight at the top of a healthy BMI (bmi 25) and calculated 0.6g to 0.8g of protein per lb of "target" mass (as a proxy for lean mass). This became my target which I often exceed and on rare occasions do not quite get to!
    at least ~0.4g of healthy mono and polyunsaturated fats (which according to the AHA does not include tropical oils) per lb of target weight as a female, while limiting saturated fats to no more than 5% to 6% of total calories...
    The rest... whatever you want that makes you happy and full :wink: