Setting goals advice

Hey guys, I've just started using mfp and at the beginning it asks if I'm aiming to "lose,maintain or gain weight"? I already have a solid build but aim looking to lean out and burn fat. I was wondering if you guys had any idea if I should be setting it on lose " "weight per week or something else. I'm unsure as I don't want to lose any muscle mass either.
Thanks guys

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    It depends how lean you are. If you're actually reasonably lean: 0.5-1lbs is sensible. If you're fatter: 1-2lbs is ok
  • jwho_jho
    jwho_jho Posts: 2 Member
    So I should be putting it on focussing to lose weight? Should I keep my proteins high in order to avoid losing muscle?
    Thanks
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Yes keep your protein high around, 0.8 -1g per lb of your weight.
    Choose 0.5lb per week loss to lean out but preserve muscle.
    When you are at a size you like, change to maintenance.

All the best :smile:
  • Are you still trying to gain muscle too? Keep in mind that mfp doesn't know your body composition/BMR/body type(mesomorph/endomorph/ectomorph) so it's always good to start on "maintain weight" and see what happens for a week or two then adjust. Take measurements and photos as well because the scales won't tell you body composition(muscle is more dense than fat) for me, I've got mfp on "lose 0.5/wk" but this is keeping me at maintenance. In regards to protein, just keep it simple and try to hit the target the app gives you for your macros :)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Are you still trying to gain muscle too? Keep in mind that mfp doesn't know your body composition/BMR/body type(mesomorph/endomorph/ectomorph) so it's always good to start on "maintain weight" and see what happens for a week or two then adjust. Take measurements and photos as well because the scales won't tell you body composition(muscle is more dense than fat) for me, I've got mfp on "lose 0.5/wk" but this is keeping me at maintenance. In regards to protein, just keep it simple and try to hit the target the app gives you for your macros :)

It doesn't matter that MFP doesn't know your "body type", because somatotypes are a bunch of woo anyway. They were made up in the 1940s by a psychiatrist from looking at pictures of people and they have nothing to do with your diet or training. Even Sheldon himself (the inventor of somatotypes) recognized that people rarely fall squarely into all characteristics of any one somatotype.