Weight loss and exercise

Options
wusker
wusker Posts: 3 Member
edited April 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Hello, I'm after a bit of advice please as I'm a bit confused.
41 yr old male 6'4" average weight of 75 kilos. Always been skinny.
Recently started the prerequisite RAF fitness program in the hope of becoming a reservist later in the year, problem is I've already lost 2 kilos in 4 weeks as there is alot of jogging that has to be completed. I eat quite healthy and have upped what I can to increase calories more eggs, fish, avacodo etc already eat alot of fruit and veg. As we don't have alot of money I have to try and add calories into things we buy during a normal shop and recently found a peanut butter milkshake recipe that whacks in 800 or so calories using:
Milk
Peanut butter
Ice cream
Cream
Banana
Oats
So I'm having one of these a day.

My question is myfitness pal has a seizure when it sees how much fat is in the shake as it says my daily intakes should be:
Carbs 50%
Fat 30%
Protein 20%
So am i being incredibly stupid by using this shortcut and risking overall health or do I need to alter the above percentages as I'm skinny and need those extra calories ?
Thanks in advance

Replies

• helengetshealthy
    helengetshealthy Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You can adjust the ratios based on your own personal goals in the diary setting. My carb intake is set at 5% because I am on a LCHF diet, so if you need to eat more fat you can change it to accommodate this. If I have more than 18g of carbs in a day it goes red for me, but people eat three or four times that in a day on a regular diet. My advice would be to play around with the settings. Maybe lose the ice cream in the milkshake.

The thing is, I have a high fat diet that works because I'm not having many carbs. To cut a long story short, if you're exercising and your body is used to using carbs for fuel, then the fat you're having is gonna end up getting stored up and you'll put the wrong kind of weight on. When you're doing a fitness program maybe bump up the protein too. It might be trial and error for a little while. But firstly ditch the ice cream from the milkshake because that's pure sugar and no-one really needs that. If you use ice in the blender, it will work quite well to thicken up the ice cream and it won't water it down!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    You can adjust the ratios based on your own personal goals in the diary setting. My carb intake is set at 5% because I am on a LCHF diet, so if you need to eat more fat you can change it to accommodate this. If I have more than 18g of carbs in a day it goes red for me, but people eat three or four times that in a day on a regular diet. My advice would be to play around with the settings. Maybe lose the ice cream in the milkshake.

The thing is, I have a high fat diet that works because I'm not having many carbs. To cut a long story short, if you're exercising and your body is used to using carbs for fuel, then the fat you're having is gonna end up getting stored up and you'll put the wrong kind of weight on. When you're doing a fitness program maybe bump up the protein too. It might be trial and error for a little while. But firstly ditch the ice cream from the milkshake because that's pure sugar and no-one really needs that. If you use ice in the blender, it will work quite well to thicken up the ice cream and it won't water it down!

Ice cream is fine and not pure sugar. It has fats, calcium, and a host of other things. All macros are stored as fat if you eat over what you burn off, not just carbs.

OP, seems fine. I see the fat and protein goals as minimums. Good luck with your training.
  • wusker
    Options
    Thanks for the replies both, appreciate the help. I think the problem I have is that im not too sure what the % goals should be. As in i thought myfitness pal gave the "magic" ratios when it asked for my height/weight etc.

So I can set these myself? Bit then what do I set them too for the best for me ?

Thanks again
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    You could easily take your carbs down to 45% and your fat up to 35% and still have a healthy macro balance. Just make sure you don't drop the protein.
  • wusker
    Options
    Awesome thanks for the help everybody.