frozen banana ice cream

Options
So I finally remembered to put some sliced banana in the freezer overnight to try and make ice cream from them. I have a little Cuisinart food processor, and once they were chopped up they started just clumping on top of the blades and not moving down below them anymore, no matter how often I moved them down with a spatula. Do they need to be partially thawed before you put them in the food processor? I watched a video where the person blended long enough for the bananas to change color to lighter and it looked really creamy. I ate mine, but it was still chunky. Do I just have an inadequate machine, or is there some other trick to it?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Process it longer....

Or get some real icecream?
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Add a tiny bit of water until it starts to blend.

I think a blender would work better though.
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    LovesDogsAndBooks Posts: 190 Member
    Options

Or get some real icecream?

I will undoubtedly do that, too! Just wanted to see for myself what the buzz about this was.
  • bobtater1
    bobtater1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Most bananna ice creams say to add 1/4 cup of milk before you blend then put it in a tray and chill for 1 hour.
  • bobtater1
    bobtater1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    you got to have some liquid for it to blend smoothly.
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    Options
    Add a tiny bit of water until it starts to blend.

I think a blender would work better though.

Unfortunately, I don't have one ...
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    Options
    bobtater1 wrote: »
    you got to have some liquid for it to blend smoothly.

Okay, I"ll try again tomorrow with milk or something. Thanks!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I prefer a food processor over a blender - never had an issue getting the right consistency, and getting a small amount out of a blender is difficult.

I don't generally add liquid either - not a significant amount anyway!

... And there's no buzz. It's banana, whizzed. It tastes like banana.
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    Options
    I just had never had it before, and after trying with banana only I meant to experiment with flavors, nut butters, cocoa powder etc.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Yeah I second real ice cream.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Frozen yogurt has only 90 calories a serving, I love that stuff, I add candy cane bits or Oreo cookies, or fruit or eat it plain
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    Options
    I love a good ice cream! And once I've tried the banana thing a couple of times, I might come to the conclusion that it's not worth it. But I'm not there yet :wink:
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I like the processed banana, but only if I throw some cocoa in with it. Yes, add a smidge of liquid (I use milk) to get it going better. And cocoa and/or peanut butter. Pure banana is just... banana.

I do also eat actual ice cream. This has a different nutrition profile, and it uses up my frozen bananas (I always freeze them when they're over ripe).
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    Options
    It won't replace the real thing, but I think it could be a good alternative if you don't want to allot too many calories of your limited allowance to sweets/deserts.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Get a Yonanas machine. Works perfectly with frozen bananas (or other fruits as well).
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Get a Yonanas machine. Works perfectly with frozen bananas (or other fruits as well).

Second this, but you do have to soften the fruit a bit first too.
  • Jetamu96
    Jetamu96 Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Let the bananas soften a little as they can actually damage the blades if they're rock hard, and also add a little milk. I add cacao powder to mine to make it chocolatey! Yum!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    We use nothing other than bananas in a high powered food processor. As it blends, it warms up enough to blend it smooth.
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    Options
    We use nothing other than bananas in a high powered food processor. As it blends, it warms up enough to blend it smooth.

That's probably like what I saw in a video, they didn't have to add liquid for it to become real smooth. I'll make another one tonight and add some liquid and some flavoring.