How Much Does Medicines and Health Conditions Affect Your Weight/Loss?

Options
lucypstacy
lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
Hello everyone. I've been here for a little over two weeks, and I've done great so far. I'm sticking with it by being realistic. I'm weighing foods, not trying to starve myself, trying to move more, etc. Anyway, I was curious how much my specific medicines and health conditions might affect me as I move forward. I'm on prednisone where I had a kidney transplant. (Kidney is doing great, btw.) I also have hypothyroidism, although I'm on synthroid for that. Anyone have similar issues? Did you have any extra challenges along the way?

Replies

• lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I should add I have some major digestive problems. I have acid reflux. After doing peritoneal dialysis, I developed hernias. When I had a CT scan a week ago, the doctor found I had hernias all down my right side, a fatty hernia in the upper middle of my abdomen, an umbilical hernia I was (obviously) born with, and a hiatal hernia. When I lose 20 more pounds, I'll have surgery for that or most of it. I know they are going to cut through my muscle and put in a heck of a lot mesh. For now, it messes with digestive system.
  • phubb3
    phubb3 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hello. I have many issues too. I'm also on medicine for my thyroid and I have so many back issues I'm on all kinds of medication. Although I am restaring again today. This does work. It's actually the only thing that does. I need to track all I eat to be accountable for myself. I was doing great then life got in the way and I foolishly didn't do what I knew I had to. Now I'm looking at back surgery and need to get this weight off and keep it off. Please add me as a friend. It's so much easier when you know your not alone. Good luck! You can do this!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,678 Member
    Options
    I'm hypothyroid, but it's well-controlled with medication. It didn't seem to me that I had any special problems losing weight, compared with others who aren't hypothyroid, while losing roughly a third of my body weight.

Weight loss isn't always easy, but hypothyroidism didn't seem to add any issues, for me. I've read others here saying differently, but all I can testify about is my personal n = 1 experience.

P.S. I'd say the same thing about being older (59-60) while losing, and about being post-menopausal, two other factors that some feel increase their struggle with weight loss.