Options

Replies

• cfriend71
    cfriend71 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    cfriend71 wrote: »
    AFGP11 wrote: »
    There is nothing magical about it. It tastes pretty good though. It is a lot of calories though and you have to count them because they don't magically melt away. To me it's not worth wasting 100 or more calories on a morning coffee, but to eat their own.

On the ketogenic diet you do not count calories. You use carbs, protein and fat as your macros. That's it. Nothing else. So calories have nothing to do with it on the Keto diet which is what it was designed for use with.

Hate to tell you but carbs and protein have 4 calories per gram, and fat is 9 calories per gram. Repeating "I'm doing keto" a million times every day will not change this.

I would suggest tracking everything you put in you mouth, including your bulletproof mocha if you want to achieve your weight loss goals.

I am but not by the calories. I think I am doing something right because I've already lost 6 lbs. I appreciate your suggestion though.

Eating low carb will mean your body drops a lot of water. It's not fat.

Really? I did low carb years ago and lost 50 lbs. how can that be a water? Lol
  • comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    Options

I am but not by the calories. I think I am doing something right because I've already lost 6 lbs. I appreciate your suggestion though.

If you are tracking your food my macros, you are controlling them by calories, albeit via an indirect measurement.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    There is nothing magical about it. It tastes pretty good though. It is a lot of calories though and you have to count them because they don't magically melt away. To me it's not worth wasting 100 or more calories on a morning coffee, but to eat their own.

On the ketogenic diet you do not count calories. You use carbs, protein and fat as your macros. That's it. Nothing else. So calories have nothing to do with it on the Keto diet which is what it was designed for use with.

Hate to tell you but carbs and protein have 4 calories per gram, and fat is 9 calories per gram. Repeating "I'm doing keto" a million times every day will not change this.

I would suggest tracking everything you put in you mouth, including your bulletproof mocha if you want to achieve your weight loss goals.

Initially.

• cfriend71
    Options

Initially.

So initially 50 lbs is not technically any fat loss? Is that what you are saying? I know a lot of people who lost weight on low carb & that is now their lifestyle. They lost a lot of weight.
  • comeonnow142857
    edited April 2017
    Options

So initially 50 lbs is not technically any fat loss? Is that what you are saying? I know a lot of people who lost weight on low carb & that is now their lifestyle. They lost a lot of weight.

That is not what he is saying. Most of the initial weight loss on a low carb diet will be water. Obviously that whole 50lbs is not all initial loss.

Lots of people have lost weight on every given diet. Any diet works if a calorie deficit is in place.
  • phrobbert
    phrobbert Posts: 47 Member
    Options

The first time I went on a keto diet I did the exact same thing. And yes, I did lose a fair amount of weight. However after a while I plateaued which is probably because my weight dropped to the point where my maintenance calories coincided with what I was eating. Since going back on keto I've been careful to go with a daily deficit and I've seen a much more consistent weight loss.

• cfriend71
    Options

Initially.

Your initial large loss is predominantly water.

Either way, I lost 6 lbs in 3 days. I'll take it
  • cfriend71
    Options
    Not to mention any initial loss on ANY diet is water lol
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

How do you figure that?
  • cfriend71
    Options
    phrobbert wrote: »

The first time I went on a keto diet I did the exact same thing. And yes, I did lose a fair amount of weight. However after a while I plateaued which is probably because my weight dropped to the point where my maintenance calories coincided with what I was eating. Since going back on keto I've been careful to go with a daily deficit and I've seen a much more consistent weight loss.

Can you kindly explain what you mean as a deficit? I'm intrigued. Thank you
  • comeonnow142857
    Options

The effects tend to be considerably more dramatic in low carb diets.
  • cfriend71
    Options

Also, I believe as your weight drops you need to adjust your macros (decrease). No?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

Eating less calories than your body requires.
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Somebody beat me to it...
  • comeonnow142857
    Options

A deficit is when you consume less calories than you expend.

If you are on low carb, and not in a calorie deficit, you will either maintain or gain weight (excluding the reduction in water retention caused by low carb).

If you are on high carb, and in a calorie deficit, you will lose weight.
  • phrobbert
    phrobbert Posts: 47 Member
    Options

As in a daily calorie allowance set deliberately below what would be required to maintain a set body weight. 1500 per day in my case (with no exercise).