How to get rid of rice

I'm Filipino and we eat rice in all meals. Before I ate 2 cups of rice per meal. Then I discovered how calorie dense rice is and how it is not good for you. Now I eat 2 cups of rice per day. I lose weight by doing that at the beginning. Now my weight is stable and it doesn't go down nor go up. I want to give up rice because maybe that's what holding me back. I'm planning to lose body fat and gain muscles. What do you suggest to substitute rice?

Replies

• Tsoggo
    Tsoggo Posts: 114 Member
    You're consuming too many calories if you're not losing weight. Are you tracking calories?

There is nothing wrong with rice, it is not bad for you.

But rice is a great source of carbs. For my body fat percentage rn, i don't need lots of rice
  • Tsoggo
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    It is not rice alone, but your total calories.

So your weigh your food when you log?

Before, but I keep eating the same thingin the same amount so I don't do that anymore.
  • Tsoggo
    It's just calorie dense. It's not bad. Manage portions to 1 cup per day or maybe arrange one meal per day without it and you'll be fine.

Usually i eat protein(meat) + rice + fruit. If I remove the rice I will only eat meat and fruit? Or do I need to add something to compliment the absence​ of rice xD
  • Tsoggo
    Carbs are not bad, they are not having an impact on your body fat on their own/within your calories.

And fruits are carbs. Just eat the rice in an appropriate portion.

• mrsanishchenko
    mrsanishchenko Posts: 1 Member
    I agree with the other poster... try riced cauliflower! It's easy to make. You can freeze meal-size portions and just quickly thaw and serve. You could also try something like quinoa which is higher in protein. I eat rice (brown and white), quinoa, riced cauliflower, etc. alternating to keep it interesting.
  • Tsoggo
    I agree with the other poster... try riced cauliflower! It's easy to make. You can freeze meal-size portions and just quickly thaw and serve. You could also try something like quinoa which is higher in protein. I eat rice (brown and white), quinoa, riced cauliflower, etc. alternating to keep it interesting.

How about the portion? How much of rice do you eat? I would like to try quinoa but it is very rare in where I live
  • gamommy
    gamommy Posts: 131 Member
    How about the portion? How much of rice do you eat? I would like to try quinoa but it is very rare in where I live

About 3oz is a typical serving size of riced cauliflower. However, you should eat what you want that fits within your calorie goal. Try pre-logging your foods at the beginning of the day and making adjustments from there.
  • haleyrhart
    haleyrhart Posts: 26 Member
    I like to change I can't have or shouldn't have, to I don't want. I always feel so powerful. I am taking back the control. Sometimes I have to say it out loud, but I say it less and less everyday because I have found myself actually not wanting the foods I used to drool over. (I work in a grocery store)
    As for rice, pasta, and bread, I do not substitute. I always feel like I am cheating myself. I know how good it could be and I don't want to slide back into that can't have mentality. If you load up on lots of seasoned, well cooked, veggies and the delicious protein you prepared with it. Once your full you won't miss the starchy sugar/carb bomb. You also won't get the after meal crash. Although I do miss afternoon napping.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    jadebuniel wrote: »
    It's just calorie dense. It's not bad. Manage portions to 1 cup per day or maybe arrange one meal per day without it and you'll be fine.

Usually i eat protein(meat) + rice + fruit. If I remove the rice I will only eat meat and fruit? Or do I need to add something to compliment the absence​ of rice xD

Vegetables. Lots of vegetables. I stir-fry, steam, bake, or blanch 350 grams of vegetables for my dinner plate. Depending on your size, you may want more or less. That's filling, fiber, and even a few grams of protein if you choose your vegetables carefully. And try to add some form of legumes to your food. That's good fiber and protein, too.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I wouldn't get rid of rice. It soaks up stew liquid too well. Besides, 3/4 cup of it is way more filling than the potatoes I grew up on. 3/4 cup is a decent serving, I find. You might also want to try brown rice, if you aren't using it already; it's got more fibre so it might leave you fuller.

It took me a while to wrap my head around the idea that losing weight didn't mean having to get rid of foods I loved. It meant being mindful of what/how much I was eating and making choices. (If I don't want to go over my calories for the day, I can have 3/4 cup of rice and a piece of this homemade cake; I can have 1.5 cups and a much smaller piece; I can have X number of french fries, skip the cake and have fruit; I can have cake and fries, but it's going to mean 50 minutes on the fitness glider and a lighter lunch. How do I want to do this?) Nothing off-limits, everything a trade-off.
  • lasvegasconcertgirl
    lasvegasconcertgirl Posts: 33 Member
    I switched from white rice to brown rice because it fulfilled the need, but for some reason I didn't want nearly as much of it. You could try giving that a go. I actually prefer it now.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Carbs are not bad, they are not having an impact on your body fat on their own/within your calories.

And fruits are carbs. Just eat the rice in an appropriate portion.

So much this. OP, I've lost 100lbs eating lots of carbs. Listen to everyone that tells you that carbs are not bad for weight loss. Instead of 2 cups of rice, have 1.

And track your calories. Calories are king for weight loss.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    I'm gluten free and rice is my go to side at dinner. I can't imagine getting rid of it. With medical issues that forced me to give up certain foods already I personally will never eliminate something I don't have to. You could try quinoa or brown rice instead though if you want to give up white rice.