Will smoothies help me loose weight?

Options
I've always avoided smoothies as they're full of sugar.
Would the fruit eaten as it is sustain me for longer and help me loose weight quicker?

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    The only way smoothies would help you lose weight is if they allowed you to eat less calories per day then you burn. That is the only way to lose weight. Most people feel that liquid calories are not very filling and actually make it harder to eat less calories per day then you burn but some find them satiating. It basically depends if you find smoothies more filling then whole foods or not.
  • katieleggett_321
    katieleggett_321 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I find they fill me. But would it be more nutritious to have cereal and fruit throughout the day?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    The only way smoothies would help you lose weight is if they allowed you to eat less calories per day then you burn. That is the only way to lose weight. Most people feel that liquid calories are not very filling and actually make it harder to eat less calories per day then you burn but some find them satiating. It basically depends if you find smoothies more filling then whole foods or not.

^ This.

Our hunger hormone ghrelin is produced when the stomach is not being stretched. In general high-liquid foods pass through the stomach faster and leave people feeling hungry again sooner.

Assuming you're controlling your overall calorie intake -AND- you enjoy them, i say go for it.
  • Mward614
    Mward614 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I find they fill me. But would it be more nutritious to have cereal and fruit throughout the day?
    It really depends on what all you're putting in your smoothies. Fruit, veggies, protein powder, extras etc.

• katieleggett_321
    Options
    Bananas, spinach, kiwi, strawberries etc topped with water
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    It depends. If you're on the go and need something fast, they can be the ticket. If you make them yourself, you can control the sugar (and add protein powder, etc.). But at the end of the day, the way to lose weight is through a calorie deficit.

What you need to do is figure out for yourself the best way to hit the calorie total that MFP gives you. Theoretically, you will lose weight on nothing but Twinkies (and someone has done it to prove a point), but I can't imagine being satiated on that diet and malnutrition is a real concern.

If you find that a smoothie gives you the energy you need and keeps you feeling full until the next time you plan to eat, then sure, it's a fast way to get your nutrition and depending on what's in the smoothie, a healthy one.

Disclosure: I prefer to eat my calories rather than drink them, but there are many posters on these boards who've had great results with smoothies and protein shakes.

• Mward614
    Mward614 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    As long as you count those calories I don't see smoothies as being negative. Some people like smoothies as a means of getting in more fruits/veggies throughout the day.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options

It's not 'more nutritious', your body doesn't really care how you get your calories. It's really up to what works with your lifestyle. But again, it's all about the calories.

I suggest making your own smoothies at home so you can weigh your fruit and see how much you're putting in there. Or go for the store bought stuff but look at the label before buying.

FWIW, I don't like smoothies. I've eaten red potatoes, bacon, 2 eggs and spinach all weekend for breakfast. I've lost 2 lbs this week. I weigh everything!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Account for the calories and try them. If they work for you as a meal, then that can be helpful if you like to drink your meals, especially if you like the convenience or whatever. If not, they may not be a good option. It's entirely up to you. Smoothies don't lead to weight loss. They're food. Nothing more, nothing less.
  • katieleggett_321
    Options
    Yeah they'd be home made. I've just heard things about your body burning off solids easier then fluids
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I don't find smoothies fill me because a) they're liquid and b) they're mostly just carbs and no fat. I like a mix of all macros at every meal to make me feel satisfied
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    Yeah they'd be home made. I've just heard things about your body burning off solids easier then fluids

Nope. Sounds like a myth.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    I don't find smoothies fill me because a) they're liquid and b) they're mostly just carbs and no fat. I like a mix of all macros at every meal to make me feel satisfied

To be fair, you can add chia seeds, nut butters, protein powders, etc. to make them macro balanced.

But again OP- You need to determine if you're one of those people or not. ^
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Your body doesn't burn off solids any better than liquids or vice versa.

• californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I've always avoided smoothies as they're full of sugar.
    Would the fruit eaten as it is sustain me for longer and help me loose weight quicker?

No not really. The absolute fastest way to lose weight and KEEP it off without the yo-yo is to simply eat healthy, enough protein, fat, carbs, fiber, micro nutrients, etc. a couple hundred calories under your maintenance. Slow is fast. Slow is consistent. Slow works for life. Sugar isn't bad, but too much pushes out the room in your calorie budget you need for the other macros like protein. Protein is the one macro that your body can't store so you need it throughout the day (I don't believe in the rules about number of hours) BUT at least 3 times a day like normal meals.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    As far as "fast" that is usually just water weight. As soon as you return to normal eating the water level in your body returns to normal.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Bananas, spinach, kiwi, strawberries etc topped with water

What about protein powder as well?

Eat a balanced diet with protien, carbs and fats. Smoothies alone will make it miserable. You could even include chocolate/sweets/snacks.

Calories are king.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    fascha wrote: »

To be fair, you can add chia seeds, nut butters, protein powders, etc. to make them macro balanced.

But again OP- You need to determine if you're one of those people or not. ^

Once I add in higher fat and some protein my shake can easily be 400 cals. Idk, I prefer to eat those kind of calories but if this is her personal preference then by all means. Psychologically I don't like to drink my calories, I'm a volume eater
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    When I'm on early shift, I will make a smoothie as a quick meal. I do balance it by adding protein powder and flax seeds. I find it will keep me satisfied for a couple hours and is a great way to get some extra fruits and veg. It's figured with my daily calories, so doesn't really effect my weight loss, either good or bad. It depends on what works for you, but it's not a magic bullet.