Staying with unhealthy in-laws

Options
Hello good people of MFP!

I'm going to be staying with my boyfriend's very unhealthy parents and sister next weekend. I love them dearly and they are nice people, but they are overweight and have terrible eating habits in general, no exercise, lots of alcohol and takeaways etc. They are often complaining about being overweight and frequently go on "diets" that are totally unsustainable and usually last a week.

I am very close (2 or 3lbs) to losing my 50th lb and hitting my UGW, and I don't want this weekend to sabotage my good work. I think I'll be ok in terms of breakfasts as they have oatmeal, and for the evenings we're eating in restaurants that have a calorie counted menu, but I'm stuck for what to do in terms of eating. I just hope they don't decide to get a takeaway or cook something unhealthy while I'm there. It's only for a few days, but I want to stay on track.

Also, the last time they saw me I was 12lbs heavier and they told me I was too thin so god knows what they will say now. How do you deal with other people's comments about your weight? I am a healthy weight and very fit, and certainly not unheathily skinny.

Any advice or survival tips appreciated!

Replies

• bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    would they be completely offended if you took your own snacks and food???
  • cvaneaton
    cvaneaton Posts: 154
    Options
    Be true to yourself. You have worked so hard to get where you are. if eating out you still have control on what you order and you can eat a portion and have the rest packed up. Problem solved...lunch tommorrow. :flowerforyou:
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Thank your lucky stars that it's only for the weekend! LOL! I was 60 days into a 90 day program and went to stay with my unhealthy in laws for 5 weeks and gained SEVENTEEN POUNDS!!! Holy cow!

My advice is to bring your own food with you. That's what I'll be doing the next time this happens. It's not worth giving up your goal to make others feel better about their eating habits.

And I've found lately that bigger people who haven't yet decided to be healthy are ALWAYS going to say things like 'Why are you on a diet/working out?" Or "Just have one. You can cheat a little."

Be true to yourself!!
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    It's tough. If telling them straight up that you've adopted a healthy lifestyle isn't an option there's a couple of things you can try. .if they serve food that's not healthy take just a bit (spread it out over as much of the plate as possible so it looks like more) and then talk alot so they don't notice you aren't eating much. Maybe you can offer to help cook so it's at least partially healthy.

Hopefully your boyfriend will support you. Comments about your weight - just tell them you are at your healthy goal weight and you are thrilled.

Good luck!
  • 424a57
    424a57 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    ... How do you deal with other people's comments about your weight? I am a healthy weight and very fit, and certainly not unheathily skinny.

No one else *should* be able to change you. We allow them to side-track us from our goals. Several years ago, I weighed 215lbs and lost (over six months) down to 165lbs. I felt fit and healthy, but I listened to my close friends and family saying "You're too skinny." I quit tracking my calories and exercise and, before long, I went back to 215 -- then 220 -- then 225.

I am tracking my calories and exercise again, but yesterday one of my friends said my goal was too low and I would be "too skinny." I put my fingers in my ears and said, "La, la, la! I'm not listening to you again. I WILL get to my goal weight and I WILL NOT let you do this again."
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    You're going to have the be tough and strong, speak up if they try to persuade you to do anything you don't want to do.

You could bring your own snacks.

As for unsupportive comments you might hear, I don't tolerate that from people. Family or not. I'm a bit aggressive, I'd say. I certainly can't recommend that you behave as I would. The best behavior I could show would be to ignore them. I certainly wouldn't be the least concerned if I offended them.
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Be ready with a reply when the "you're too skinny" comments come. I have a sister-in-law that calls me "chicken-chested." The first two times she referred to me in that way, I was taken aback, and did not reply. I am rehersing my come-back for the next time I see her (two-weeks).

I will ask her if that was meant to be a compliment. Then I will explain to her that I am proud of my size and that I work hard to maintain a healthy weight. Finally I will help her to understand that making a comparison of a person to an animal is insulting, and I'll ask her how she would feel if I called her Hippo-Chested.

Interesting how these back-handed compliments about weight can be directed at anyone.

Don't let them take you off of your mission:-)
  • zonah
    zonah Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I would bring your own food. Tell them you have food sensitivites and you have to be careful what you eat or you feel sick. After all that's kind of the truth isn't? :D
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Ask if as a thanks for them letting you stay there you can cook! Or tell them you're trying to perfect a meal and want to try it out on them, if you decide this is true then it is.
  • marquesajen
    marquesajen Posts: 641
    Options
    Bring some healthy snacks with you. I know some people might consider it rude, but I don't. This is important to you, so go for it! Just remember it's okay to say "no thank you" and to selectively eat the least unhealthy options.

If they say you're too skinny kindly smile and say "I appreciate your concern, but I'm healthier and happier than I've ever been. How's your summer been?"

Good luck!
  • ksmccoy
    ksmccoy Posts: 12
    Options
    I lived with my in laws for roughly a year and a half and I went through the same thing. I suggest kindly explaining to them that you changed your eating habits to eating healthy for weight loss. I bet that it will encourage them to be better too. It's a sticky situation but knowing myself that if I let myself slip for a whole weekend it would do some major damage to my progress.
  • eplusa
    eplusa Posts: 2
    Options
    if they say anything just smile and say that you're healthy and things like that, it will be a bit annoying but your lovely so im sure they wont think your being rude or anything. With food i think youll be okay if your eating dinner at the restaurant, would your boyfriend maybe ask them to get some other foods that you could have? Im sure youll be okay, try not to worry after the couple of days you can have your routine back, i know its stressful when routines are messed up!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I will be the lone voice saying I think it would be rude to show up at someone's house as an invited guest with your own food. It sounds like lunch is the only problem- you said oatmeal for breakfast and dinners are out at chain restaurants, right? You aren't moving in with them, it is just one weekend. Just eat small/reasonable portions if they produce some junky food for lunch. Believe me, it will not set you back.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I would just make sure it looks like you're eating their food, otherwise they may take it as an insult. Have a little of their main dish, and load up on the salad. I think that breakfast and lunch aren't the hard parts, it's dinner with meaty, creamy dishes.
    If you can see that they're not having a veggie dish with dinner, ask your boyfriend if they would be alright with you going out and picking up a salad kit for everyone to enjoy, or ask if you could steam some brocoli with your meal. Maybe say something like, "I LOVE brocoli with my steak, it's so good" and make sure you make enough for them. If there's no fruit in the house, just go out and buy a bunch of bananas and keep them in your room or on their table, and say something like "I love peanut butter banana toast." Some people don't care about their health, and you may not be able to change them. But don't let yourself down!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I will be the lone voice saying I think it would be rude to show up at someone's house as an invited guest with your own food. It sounds like lunch is the only problem- you said oatmeal for breakfast and dinners are out at chain restaurants, right? You aren't moving in with them, it is just one weekend. Just eat small/reasonable portions if they produce some junky food for lunch. Believe me, it will not set you back.

I have to agree with this one. You're making a lifestyle change and life throws little curves like this. If it's just lunch you're worried about for a few days, eat small portions and (discretely) track what you're eating. Don't whip out your phone and start tracking calories at the table or where they can see it. At most, you're going to gain a pound or two that's going to come right back off once you're at home and eating the way you want to. And if these people will eventually become family, it's a small price to pay for family harmony.

I spend weekends with my in-laws at their place in the mountains. I always end up gaining weight because my mother-in-law is always putting out food and snacks. We were there for the Fourth of July weekend. When everyone else was taking their afternoon nap (I think it's the altitude, we always end up napping there!) I went out for a 3.5 mile run instead. I ate small portions of everything that went on the table the whole weekend and didn't gain a pound over that 4 days.
  • shefly
    shefly Posts: 81 Member
    Options

I agree but you could bring them a fruit basket as a thank you for being their guest.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    After reading some of these posts, I'm very thankful that my soon-to-be in-laws (2 sets, since his parents are divorced)...the first set eats extremely healthy, and has actually helped me make better choices where food is concerned, and the other set are so laid back that they would in no way be offended if I brought my own snacks, nor would they comment on my eating habits.

I have, however, put up with it from friends in the past, though. Comments like "oh, it's just one!" used to get to me. I'd think "yeah, they're right, it's just one [insert junk-food snack here]" or, my favorite, "I could never eat that healthy, I love my REAL food too much" or "I have to eat food that tastes good!" Some people honestly believe that only junk food tastes good, that all healthy foods and snacks are just downright terrible, taste-wise. I've learned to stand my ground, and hold firm to how I'm living and eating.

I've come to find through past relationships that it's usually hard to confront in-laws/significant others families on ANYTHING, health issues included. My best advice is to just stay true to the path that YOU want to be on. Don't let them, or anyone else for that matter, deter you. If they were honestly worried that you're unhealthy, they would approach the subject differently, and without snarky remarks. In all honesty, it sounds like they're jealous, so they're lashing out at their living proof that what they're doing is wrong. :tongue: Let them wallow in their jealousy...you're benifiting from your hard work. When they realize their criticism isn't working, they'll (hopefully!) stop. :happy:
  • mericksmom
    mericksmom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I suggest working out more and suggest that you would like to cook them meals This way you can let them try the fab fodds you are eating and you know how much you are consuming.
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I would bring a few snacks that you like (just say it was for the roadtrip there or something) and possibly even suggest going grocery shopping with them when you get there. If they're extremely set in their ways about having take out or going out to eat, just remember to make good choices and eat appropriately sized portions. Take out itself is not totally bad; it's how much take out you eat.
  • imogen_scarlett
    Options
    Wow, so many replies! Thankyou to everyone who answered!

I'm not sure if bringing food with me is entirely polite, but I might bring a couple of little snacks to have if a situation arises where everyone has cake or chocolate (like some dried fruit, nuts etc). Best to be prepared.
    I think the key is going to be portion control. They are known for serving BIG portions so I will just eat what they eat, but be very firm about having a small portion, and I'll load up on the veggies/salad so it looks like there's more on my plate.

I'm sure they will have eggs/tinned tuna so I can whip up an omelette if need be, and they should have tinned soup too, which will be sodium heavy but relatively low cal.

It's more the remarks they will make about my weight that are worrying me. I don't talk about my weight loss, I'm not one of those people that bores everyone with their dieting tales, I tend to keep it to myself really. It's not like I walk around their house saying "LOOK AT ALL THIS UNHEALTHY JUNK!" and sneering at their choices. They eat how they eat, and I eat how I eat.

My boyfriend told me last night that his Mum told him that I am NOT to lose any more weight because I was too thin the last time she saw me. I've lost 12lbs since then so that is going to be interesting when I turn up! I don't want them to be dismissive of my lifestyle because they feel guilty and insecure for their own weight problems.

But seriously, these replies have been great, and really motivating, so thankyou! I have MFP on my phone, so while I'm not going to track things around the table because that's rude, I'll do it discreetly later on.

Wish me luck!