Foods you love, but can't afford?

Options

Replies

• dgirllamius
    dgirllamius Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    A lot of things are expensive for me, seeing as a lot of the stuff I like can't be bought in Germany so I have to get my mum to send it to me from the UK - doesn't cost much to buy it, but costs a fortune to have it sent. Cheddar cheese is the worst for me, I love it so much. I can buy it here but it is sooooooooo expensive. A tiny block costs like €4, whereas you can buy triple of that in the UK for the same price.
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Organic... some things are alright, but a lot of things are more expensive. Especially meat... we only eat it like 3 times a week, since organic meat = gold. Also Sushi... super expensive to find a good restaurant here.

As for Prawns: I love them, but can't get them here since there are no MSC certified ones :(

aaannnndddd... Coconut Water, but I actually do go ahead and buy that. But it's like a 15 euro/week habit... hey, still cheaper than smoking. :smokin:
  • Alaranio
    Alaranio Posts: 75
    Options
    I forgot my most fav thing, when some one else posted wine....Jackson Triggs 'Ice Wine'.

And yes we make sushi at home, not the same and the roll I usually get is bout $13.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I live in New England so luckily fresh seafood is plentiful and not *too* expensive but I would eat it several times a week if it were a bit cheaper. For instance, right now I can get lobster for $5/pound, bit that isn't a pound of meat, that is shell and all. So if my husband and I eat each a regular sized lobster, it is about $15 for dinner just for the lobster. We do it once in a while but certainly not that often.

Scallops are quite pricey even when they are local scallops. I would eat them several times a week if they were cheaper!

High quality sushi...so expensive but soooo good. That is a once in a while treat for me.
  • aray379
    aray379 Posts: 131
    Options
    When I'm back at school organic fruit, natural/organic other foods too and seafood. Being from Maine I'm use to amazing fresh seafood right off the boats and it's too expensive at school and just not the same :(
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Seafood other than tilapia, I love tilapia but I want lobster/crab too!

Gluten free flours - so expensive, so my baking is pretty much nonexistant at this point.

Gluten/dairy/soy free cheese/butter/yogurt (if such yogurt even exists)

I'm really grateful for my food intolerances 90% of the time (forces me to eat fresh) but sometimes I just want an omlette with 'cheese' :(

COCONUT OIL! I'm trying to work more of it into my diet bc I've heard it helps rebuild/heal the GI tract after vili damage done by gluten buuuuut it is expensive.

Gluten/dairy/soy cheat foods, I'd love to be able to "cheat" (the pizza I got last night that fit my intolerance cost $15 dollars for a small.)
  • chattyKathi
    chattyKathi Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Fish! A lot of fish here is upwards of 7-8 dollars a pound. Like Salmon and Cod. I love fish but its so expensive .
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Umeboshi Plums....mmmmm....now I want one!
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    so many things at Whole Foods that I cannot afford... If I was rich, I would shop there every week and get-

-dandelion greens (for smoothies, YUM!)
    -organic asparagus (or even just regular asparagus. It's always expensive to me, everywhere, and I tend to eat it all at once, so think that it's not worth the money)
    -frozen Amy's roasted veggie pizzas
    -frozen entrees by Candle Cafe (have never actually tried, and I'm sure they are loaded with sodium, but I love the food at the restaraunt)
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Pate
    Grass fed butter
    Filet mignon
    Lamb shanks
    Large scallops
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Organic foods, particularly fruits and veggies.

Amy's and Kashi's frozen foods.

Lots of stuff at Whole Foods in general, love that store but can rarely afford to shop there.
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    -boneless skinless chicken breast.. Well any chicken really, haven't been able to afford it since like march.
    -Also fancy cheeses , I work in a deli so I get an occasional taste of them but there has been a bottle of red wine sitting in my fridge for 2 months calling out for some brie cheese.
    -I also want to switch my meat consumption to free range local meat... but I can't afford to yet.
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    halibut !!!!
    wild Salmon
    sashimi
    just about any cheese (real cheese, like in a gourmet deli)
    fresh artichokes
    heirloom tomatoes
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I was going to say foie gras, but don't want to be THAT d-bag in the forums today.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    Lobster and crab legs
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    king prawns, are £6/7 for a portion from the supermarket!

Tescos often have their king prawns on offer @ £2.50 a bag, we always stock up :wink:
  • shigginslove
    Options
    i love sushi! Good sushi. Good sushi is expenisve, and i wish it wasnt. :(
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    All organic food! I think it would be healthier, but food is already so dang expensive, I just can't bring myself to do it!
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I was going to say foie gras, but don't want to be THAT d-bag in the forums today.

I think this food belongs on the "if you could eat anything without gaining weight" post! I LOVE foie gras! The best thing I ever ate was a grilled cheese sandwich made with foie gras and fontina cheese! O-M-G!!!!!!! I want one now! Also someone posted caviar! Yes, please!
  • kerrbear79
    kerrbear79 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I ditto the Amy's and Kashi's meals and will also say cherries. I've been eating cherries this week because they were on sale at Publix. I wish I could eat them all the time.