Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fat cells don't go away when you lose weight?

Options
wellthenwhat
wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
A person was arguing with me, saying that liposuction was a good idea because fat cells will only get smaller, and it's easier to grow the fat back if you don't get them removed. Is this total Bs, or legitimate?

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Fittreelol wrote: »
    Fun (or maybe not so fun) fact: getting fat cells removed during lipo can lead to more visceral fat if weight is regained.

I didn't know that. Thanks.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I've heard it can be painful, then you are left with bruses for quite a while too. I watched the procedure once part of a programme on weight loss and it looked and sounded disgusting. Its only spot reduction, what happens if you gain again, would you be out of balance? giggle. When you've not changed your attitude to food, nutrition and exercise.

IMV its an unnecessary procedure, use of a general anaesthetic, it does not come without risks. I don't want to loose any part of me, even a spent fat cell. its all mine, and who knows may be one day I might need the extra bits of fat in the cells to keep me warm. tiny giggle.

Some may see it as an easy option, I believe its anything but.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    I've heard it can be painful, then you are left with bruses for quite a while too. I watched the procedure once part of a programme on weight loss and it looked and sounded disgusting. Its only spot reduction, what happens if you gain again, would you be out of balance? giggle. When you've not changed your attitude to food, nutrition and exercise.

IMV its an unnecessary procedure, use of a general anaesthetic, it does not come without risks. I don't want to loose any part of me, even a spent fat cell. its all mine, and who knows may be one day I might need the extra bits of fat in the cells to keep me warm. tiny giggle.

Some may see it as an easy option, I believe its anything but.

Oh, same here. I have no desire for such a painful procedure. I don't even like going to the dentist, lol
  • Chaosive
    Chaosive Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    One question I have(coming from someone trying to lose a large amount of body fat: around 80lbs) is, other than the obvious loose skin, is there a visible difference caused by the increase of fat cells? Or is it does it go unnoticeable as far as the eyes go. This isn't something I worry about to stop me from wanting to lose weight but I am curious if it's something I should expect.
  • FlattoPhat
    FlattoPhat Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    One thing you might want to keep in mind if considering liposuction is that it's a blind procedure. The doctor inserts the cannula into your body to suction out the fat but cannot actually see what the cannula is touching or exactly where it's going. The M.D. is basically just feeling around the area and suctioning based on his or her fundamental anatomy/physiology knowledge, hoping for the best and assuming that past experience with doing the procedure is a good safety measure.

I work in medical and I would never consent to a blind procedure for an elective, cosmetic surgery.

That depends on what kind of lipo. There is vaser ultrasonic lipo as well as coolsculpting and its variants which don't go inside the body at all. In vaser lipo ultrasound waves break down fat, not a cannula.

I had vaser lipo, which was a breeze.The worst part was wearing a compression garment 23 hours a day for 3 weeks. I have small scars that are fading away, and i had no bruising.

I may gain weight in my legs now, but trust me, it's a risk i'm willing to take.
  • FlattoPhat
    FlattoPhat Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Verdenal wrote: »
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Its only spot reduction, what happens if you gain again, would you be out of balance? giggle. When you've not changed your attitude to food, nutrition and exercise.

I'm not arguing for liposuction, but some people get it precisely because it removes fat from specific areas that will always store a disproportionate amount of fat no matter how much one diets and exercises.

If it were safe, painless, cheap, and didn't leave scars, I'd have had it.

I've read it's painful and that the body may fill the areas from which the fat has been removed with fluid.

I barely see my scars. The cost was very affordable.

But thanks, that's what people don't get. Some people have areas that won't go away. I make the analogy using women with big breasts. I see women even skinny ones with huge breasts. There is no dieting that away unless maybe they were concentration camp thin. The moment they gain any weight it will go to their breasts. That's why some women get breast reductions. Likewise there are also women even skinny ones with big behinds and lots of fat on their legs. They can gain weight or lose weight and be the same shape. Its genetics.

Some women unfortunately store fat in less conventionally attractive places like their midsections. They have skinny legs, skinny arms, but this belly that won't go away. Enter lipo.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    When you gain weight as a young person, your body creates more fat cells to store the extra fat. I don't know for sure if this also applies to people who gain weight as adults.

When a person with extra fat cells loses weight, the fat cells, both original and extra, hold less and less fat. It is not the case that the originals hold a little fat and the extras hold none. They all hold a little.

This means that persons such as me, who gained weight quite young, held it for 50 years, and has lost almost all the excess of my weight, is condemned to a lifetime of carefully counting calories and exercising to burn off excess calories eaten or earn more food to eat.

Along comes liposuction. Other than the very real risk of death, it proposes to remove many fat cells, mechanically limiting future possible weight gain.

Your person is legitimate, although their reasoning is, in my view, flawed in that that person seems to discount the very real risk of death from the procedure.

I would not say condemned. I would say you're lucky enough to move your body and eat good food, but not in excess.
  • lobotomybunny
    lobotomybunny Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My daughter has always been long and lean. Always riding the low line on the graph of normal weight since birth. Since her growth spurt, she is about 15 pounds underweight and struggling to gain. I wonder if she'd have more hungry fat cells to fill if I fed her more when she was a baby and made her chubby? #momguilt
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Fat cells don't go away. They won't fill up again unless and until you over eat again.

That doesn't make liposuction a good idea.

yup...
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    A person was arguing with me, saying that liposuction was a good idea because fat cells will only get smaller, and it's easier to grow the fat back if you don't get them removed. Is this total Bs, or legitimate?

fat cells only shrink but don't go away